GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Yabasic"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 04/12/00 at 15:12
Regular
Are there many people in this forum who have programming experience?? Has anyone tried a USB keyboard on their PS2s? I heard that some USB keyboards do not work.
I would like to create simple conversions of classic arcade games like asteroids, pac-man, space invaders, pong etc. using Yabasic.
Is anyone else interested in the possibility? It shouldn't take more than a week to knock up the simplest ones.
Can you load Yabasic information to/from a PS1 memory card?
Is there any other information about the language out there?
Does anyone know how similar the PC version of Yabasic (www.yabasic.de) is to the PS2 version?
I've not had time to have a good look myself, but as soon as I create something, I'll post the code here.
I know there is a user guide on the demo disk, but I've not read it yet, and would like a version printed out for reference. Does anyone know if this exists?
Mon 04/12/00 at 16:47
Regular
"Party like its 2005"
Thanks Richard!
Sounds very promising. Thanks for the informative reply. I'm pleased to see there is an official site, which tends to suggest that it's not a piece of throw-away software they've created. (even though the site is currently poor).
I'm looking forward to trying a few bits and pieces, and hopefully there will be a way to quickly try others code soon. (An official Sony USB Tape Deck perhaps!).
Thanx!
Mon 04/12/00 at 16:09
Hi, I've had considerble experience over the years with all kinds of programming.

I've been experimenting with the PS2 Yabasic, the greatest addition when compared with the WIN32 version of Yabaisc is that it can do colour graphics. And you can can "PEEK" the Joypad Controllers to read what buttons are pressed.

Of course, the biggest problem you have is that you can only save your programs to a memory card. (I find myself missing a "tape deck" for the first time in nearly a century). If you wanted to share your programs, its probably a case of re-typing it all on your PC/Mac for others to type in. At least until some way is found of plugging a PS2 Memory Card into a PC or PC/USB utility that can "fast type" (pretend to be a keyboard) into the PS2.

But you can take a Win32 YABASIC program and get it to run (with only a few tweaks) on the PS2. It's kinda sweet if clunky.

Of course, your saved programs are not executeable, you need to load the demo-disc YABASIC first then load and run your program.

I'm currently converting an old Speccy & Memotech wargame I wrote back in 1984 for the PS2 just for the hell of it, (though I'm old enough to know better ).

Take a look at the demo code for the PS2 Yabasic, the Nibbler and Mandlebrot will take you back a few years. Also check out the official web site at:

http://www.playstation-basic.com/

But the above site seems to have a lot of problems at the moment. It was working on the 25th of Nov, its been downhill since then.

I've only plugged one USB keyboard into my PS2 and that was a Mac G3 keyboard, it worked perfectly. If you look through the PS2 demo disk on a PC, find the YABASIC directory and look through the USB driver files with a HEX editor it seems to use pretty standard HID (Human Interface Device) stuff for communication, so if there are some USB keyboards that have problems I'll bet they are extended ones or work to some other standard.

Best of luck.
Mon 04/12/00 at 15:12
Regular
"Party like its 2005"
Are there many people in this forum who have programming experience?? Has anyone tried a USB keyboard on their PS2s? I heard that some USB keyboards do not work.
I would like to create simple conversions of classic arcade games like asteroids, pac-man, space invaders, pong etc. using Yabasic.
Is anyone else interested in the possibility? It shouldn't take more than a week to knock up the simplest ones.
Can you load Yabasic information to/from a PS1 memory card?
Is there any other information about the language out there?
Does anyone know how similar the PC version of Yabasic (www.yabasic.de) is to the PS2 version?
I've not had time to have a good look myself, but as soon as I create something, I'll post the code here.
I know there is a user guide on the demo disk, but I've not read it yet, and would like a version printed out for reference. Does anyone know if this exists?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.