GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Results and Universities"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 14/08/08 at 15:33
Regular
"Mooching around"
I got in! To Essex University that is, a four year mathematics course with one of the years spent in America!

They took their time letting me know though! Everyone else I know had their UCAS application updated by around 7am, mine still isn't done to this moment! I had to call up UCAS who directed my to Essex, who directed me to the waiting line FOR THE WAITING LINE!

But once I got through to a slightly amused chinese sounding lady she informed me that my offer was now unconditional :D

As for my results, well, there a mixed bunch a B in maths but a D in further maths etc.

Anyone else on here waiting on some results?
Fri 15/08/08 at 11:15
Regular
"THFC"
Luetchyboy wrote:
> The best bit about results day? The drinking session in the
> night. Went out last night, had a brilliant night and got a
> little drunk and stayed out a little late. Love it.

Always a good night out - people either very drunk because they are happy, or a wreck because they realised they aint got the results they need. Either way makes a good night out lol
Fri 15/08/08 at 11:02
Regular
The best bit about results day? The drinking session in the night. Went out last night, had a brilliant night and got a little drunk and stayed out a little late. Love it.
Fri 15/08/08 at 10:27
Regular
"Mooching around"
I agree with Bob, I think they should introduce modular exams, the ones where each term or course, you're given a 1 hour exam on what you've covered so far etc.

That coupled with the big exam at the end would give a far better representation of what you can remember and understand.
Thu 14/08/08 at 23:31
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
Machie wrote:
> Okay one thing we can all agree on is that theres too much
> testing in schools these days. You can't make a pig fatter by
> weighing it all the time.

If anything I'd say that's not really true. At least, the first sentence ;) I mean, you study for a year then you go into a room for three hours and in some subjects that's the entirety of the assessment. Is that really a reliable basis for classifying someone's achievement and ability? I certainly don't think so.

And unfortunately some A levels quantifiably *are* getting easier. It's not the students' fault at all and it's unfair to them that any hard work they put into the exams is being undermined by that, and you sort of wonder when some people bring it up whether it's because they wish to make a constructive point or whether they just want to be a prat, but that does not change the fact they are.
I took A level maths three years ago, and they changed the syllabus between years 1 and 2; We could have completed our course on the old syllabus but my sixth form switched over to the new syllabus in year two purely because it was easier. Maths is/was split into four modules: core1...core4 (called pure on the old syllabus), two being taught per year [alongside mechanics or statistics]. What the syllabus change basically equated to was removing a few things and spreading the remaining topics out - so this resulted in us covering in core3 work that we had already done in pure2. Plus some schools allow you to fiddle it a bit by taking mechanics one year and stats the next, thereby essentially taking two AS modules but having one treated as being at A-level level [er].

Then on the BBC news site today I see this genius quote:

"More pupils are now passing maths A-level than at any time in over a decade. It's crucial for society that we have talented mathematicians and maths is essential for science and innovation."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7559063.stm

It seems to me that by pulling things out the syllabus in the name of making it easier is going to be detrimental to mathematical talent! Which in turn brings down university level maths education a bit, and even taking that into account, I certainly feel that A levels could have better prepared me for university level maths.

And by the way Schummi I just finished my degree (maths and computing) at Coventry and will, assuming they got my acceptance of place letter which they have so far failed to acknowledge, be starting a masters' in computer science there in September :D
Thu 14/08/08 at 20:45
Regular
Its tradition, we (I) always bring it up when the results come out, like all the news coverage. They never say it's getting harder, it's always easier. Its like we're teasing them by telling them they're grades mean nothing because it's too easy.

I think they started making it easier the year after I did my exams. Talk about bad lucky huh? :(

Okay one thing we can all agree on is that theres too much testing in schools these days. You can't make a pig fatter by weighing it all the time.

But seriously, the way they do the grading now may have changed a tiny bit, but I'm sure you all got the grades you deserve so ignore all the news coverage and Garins teasing. :)
Thu 14/08/08 at 20:28
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
I imagine people who have just done A-Levels arent the best candidates to discussion declining examination standards with. ;)
Thu 14/08/08 at 19:45
Regular
I know its soo annoying all these people slagging off the a levels.. its like why don't you actually try and do the alevels then and see if you actually get good grades!
Thu 14/08/08 at 19:37
Regular
I'd love one of those snobs to do my History coursework for me then. It's difficulttttt.
Thu 14/08/08 at 18:25
Regular
Congrats and well done Alfonse and ST :)

Unfortunately in the news its saying that a-levels are getting easier and seeing as they've been saying that every single year for the past 10 years, it must be really easy to get good grades now.

I just heard they're going to introduce an A* which is stupid really, why not make A* = A and A = B etc. When I think of A grades I think of really smart people. My cousin got all As 20 years ago. That achievement got her in the local newspaper. Now it happens so often that it's nothing special anymore. :(

Umm what I mean is, congratulations guys, really well done on your success and continued study. ^^

[S]I didnt do any a levels :([/S]
Thu 14/08/08 at 18:21
Regular
Hey I said this earlier but I will say again on this thread... I got an A in business.. D in Economics.. and U in german ouch E ict AS and General studies D... Wernt spectacular or what i was expecting quite a mixed bunch but I was accepted for my first choice Coventry University to study Economics.. I'll have to work even harder now then seen as I didnt get a particularly good grade in it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.