GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"UEFA to limit foreigners"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 24/10/02 at 23:44
Regular
Taken from BBC Sport:

" Fifa and Uefa are planning new moves to limit the number of foreign stars allowed to play in domestic football.

Fifa is proposing that only five overseas players are allowed in any team."

One question:

Why is this restriction only just coming now?

For a few years now we have had Arsenal and Chelsea fielding nothing but foreigners. The Scottish national team is in disarray because the biggest teams there are comprised almost entirely of foreigners.

I think 5 foreign players per team is an excellent stipulation. This is, after all ENGLISH football, and so should be mostly made up of English players.

I await the scores of replies from Arsenal supporters who claim that fielding a team of 9 foreign players and two English players is justifiable.
Thu 07/11/02 at 02:06
Regular
"Great Scott's"
As long as the don't ban Rooney from gracing the football field i don't care!

Everton for the Worthless Cup and Rooney for Prime Minister!
Mon 04/11/02 at 21:45
Regular
"Formally:Ev][L~DarK"
The quality of the Barclaycard Premiership football will downgrade greatly if this goes ahead. Its not where players come from but what the players can do, And what they do is bring enjoyment to football it self. Mixed countries in clubs is fine and why should it be taken away?? Its more of a sin to take away the pure quality of what a person can do with his feet and head instead of what they speak.

I find it fun if a huge club are great then its great to vs. them as they are a champion which make a role model on what other teams need to build on as which teams do like chelsea, Leeds, Blackburn, Newcastle etc... If every team was the same with basically only the limted amount of talent arross the UK then eveyteam would change and even Southampton will become good! (Somehow)

I Hope the EU can put to a stop to this as soon as they can, How could people say they want this to go ahead...
:'(
Sun 03/11/02 at 22:26
Regular
"Fetish for sport"
There's simply too many foreigners in teams to bring in this rule now. Clubs would be left with high earning sitting around doing nothing (Winston Bogarde comes to mind) as other clubs could not buy them due to the rule being imposed on them too.
Sun 03/11/02 at 20:29
Regular
heh, remember when there was a limit on Foriengers allowed to play in Europeon games a few years back?

Barcalona thumped Man Utd 4-0....
Sun 03/11/02 at 10:41
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
Just look at what Klinsmann did for Sherringham? He made him into one of the sharpest forwards around. Limiting foriegners is a stupid idea.
Fri 25/10/02 at 15:25
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I'd like to see this kinda thing actually go-ahead.
5 Foreigners per-team does seem a little harsh though... I'd go with that Bartender blokey on this one, no more than 5 to start with no more than 2 on the bench.

I'm also certain it would destroy a big chunk of the Premiership's reputation and flair in the games we see. Just look at what the likes of Hasselbaink and Henry have done for it over the years compared to the players like Mark Pembridge and Craig Short.
Not all Enlgish players are your Beckhams, Owens, or even Rooneys, you know!

But something does need to be done in-order to decrease the amount of foreign imports flooding the so-called 'English' league...

All the big teams could be effected, and so could the little ones.
The big names, like United and Arsenal, would be forced to sell the likes of Veron and Kanu to Juventus and Barcelona for a heafty-profit that would only then be spent on big players from the Relegation Favourites who would be forced to sell because they need the money on-offer.
Fri 25/10/02 at 12:56
"Darkness, always"
I think it's a good move, but I'd say that 5 foreigners is s bit harsh. maybe 5 plus two named subs or something.

If things stay the way they are, english football will soon enough go the way of the Scottish premiership.

Obviously Wales don't care. They're used to picking their squad from the second division - even though on current form, the Wales team would beat england about 3-0.

I don't think there is a single team in the premiership that needs to curb it's number of foreigners and concentrate on making players, instead of just taking them.
Fri 25/10/02 at 10:59
"High polygon count"
The Almighty wrote:
> I look forward to the day when I can see at least 6 English players in
> a starting line up. It will make Premiership clubs sit up and realise
> that they have to put more money into their youth training schemes.

Generally, I'd agree. But Arsenal already have set up an excellent Youth Academy, which has created some "excellent" young English players. But the fact that they still rarely break into the first team at Arsenal would indicate that there's still something lacking.

People complain that Jeffers doesn't get a chance at Arsenal, but to be brutally honest, compared to Henry, Bergkamp, Kanu and Wiltord, he plays like a one-legged man.
Fri 25/10/02 at 00:31
Regular
"Kill all Hippies"
Don't forget that Rep of Ireland players will probably be classed as foreigners too.

I look forward to the day when I can see at least 6 English players in a starting line up. It will make Premiership clubs sit up and realise that they have to put more money into their youth training schemes.
Fri 25/10/02 at 00:03
"High polygon count"
They tried this quite a while ago, and it didn't work. I think the EU said that it was illegal - something to do with freedom of movement/employment or similar.

The quality of Premiership football will suffer greatly, that's for sure.

They surely can't introduce it immediately - they will have to give teams time to adjust their squads accordingly. This won't affect just Arsenal, that's for sure.

Man U often have over half a team of foreigners (Barthez, Blanc, Silvestre, Veron, Solskjaer, and - when fit - Van Nistelrooy). Even Fulham fielded six against Man U on Saturday (Van der Sar, Goma, Ouaddou, Legwinski, Malbranque, Sava).

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.