GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Defend Your Castle (WiiWare)"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Defend Your Castle'.
Tue 12/08/08 at 21:35
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
I was surprised when I bought this game. Originally upon downloading it I thought it would be a shallow, one trick pony experience. I was right but what was surprising was I keep coming back to play it.

If you go to school, university or have an office job then chances are you’ve probably played a flash game online to pass the time. There are so many types spanning every genre you could think of and some even creating their own so it’s no surprise that some are getting snapped up to create fully fledged games for home consoles. It is happening with the popular Line Breaker and now Defend Your Castle has been polished and updated for a WiiWare release.

The idea is so simple. You own a castle and it is your job to defend it against all forms of threat that include stickmen who come charging and banging on the wall with fists, lolly sticks and explosives. To see them off you use the only weapon at your disposal, you pointer. Using the remote to point at the screen you grab each individual stickman and make a flicking motion to launch them in the air. The result is a hilarious view of hundreds of enemies falling to their death with an equally funny squeal of pain. You tackle the game a level at a time and in every one you pass the difficulty and frequency that enemies attempt an attack will rise.

Of course doing this all the time would become very boring quickly but there are a few extras to keep track of so you’re not simply throwing stickmen the whole time. Between levels you can use the points you accumulate from killing to purchase upgrades. These include attacking power like wizards who can erase and blow up enemies, bowman who fire arrows and make your job of keeping the castle clear a little easier and suicide bombers who basically run into the field and detonate when you want. You could however use your points to purchase builders who rebuild your castle walls should they be attacked. Using your “Pit of Conversion” you can drag enemies into it to convert them to your side where it is then a matter of deciding what you want to command these now transformed followers to do. Do you want more archers? Or maybe some wizards. You can also add some strength to you walls or repair them if the situation is looking bleak. There is a slight element of strategy here and if you make the wrong choices it could mean defeat.

To me this isn’t the kind of game you can play in large chunks at a time. But I always seem to stick it on before playing a disc game like Brawl or Okami. One or two levels and then I’d more than likely be back for another session before my next game. Take it in small doses and the game will be a joy.

It is also worth mentioning that there is a four player mode available. Using four remotes you defend the same castle working together as a team. The great thing about this mode though is that each individual score is kept track of so if you want it can become competitive rather than co-operative. It’s a nice addition and is fun with a few friends.

Visually the game is pretty nice. Presentation is great with desktops, playing cards and random doodles appearing every save screen. Rather than the bloody gross look of the internet version, you’ll now find enemies comprised of buttons, bottle caps and lolly sticks all of which are laid out on a background that looks like it was pieced together in a school art class. It’s strangely stylish and unique making for one of WiiWare’s unusual looking games. Music wise there isn’t a lot to talk about. Actual tunes are nonexistent and sound effects comprise of mainly noises that sound like they come from people’s mouths. Explosions, transformations, you name it. Again it’s unique and quite funny to hear too.

WiiWare is slowly coming up with its share of decent titles and Defend Your Castle in my opinion is another to be added to that list. At a mere 500 points, Defend You Castle is a great bargain that offers brief moments of mindless fun every time you load it up. The idea may be extremely simple but somehow it manages to keep you coming back just for one last go. Or at least you tell yourself it’s one more.
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Tue 12/08/08 at 21:35
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
I was surprised when I bought this game. Originally upon downloading it I thought it would be a shallow, one trick pony experience. I was right but what was surprising was I keep coming back to play it.

If you go to school, university or have an office job then chances are you’ve probably played a flash game online to pass the time. There are so many types spanning every genre you could think of and some even creating their own so it’s no surprise that some are getting snapped up to create fully fledged games for home consoles. It is happening with the popular Line Breaker and now Defend Your Castle has been polished and updated for a WiiWare release.

The idea is so simple. You own a castle and it is your job to defend it against all forms of threat that include stickmen who come charging and banging on the wall with fists, lolly sticks and explosives. To see them off you use the only weapon at your disposal, you pointer. Using the remote to point at the screen you grab each individual stickman and make a flicking motion to launch them in the air. The result is a hilarious view of hundreds of enemies falling to their death with an equally funny squeal of pain. You tackle the game a level at a time and in every one you pass the difficulty and frequency that enemies attempt an attack will rise.

Of course doing this all the time would become very boring quickly but there are a few extras to keep track of so you’re not simply throwing stickmen the whole time. Between levels you can use the points you accumulate from killing to purchase upgrades. These include attacking power like wizards who can erase and blow up enemies, bowman who fire arrows and make your job of keeping the castle clear a little easier and suicide bombers who basically run into the field and detonate when you want. You could however use your points to purchase builders who rebuild your castle walls should they be attacked. Using your “Pit of Conversion” you can drag enemies into it to convert them to your side where it is then a matter of deciding what you want to command these now transformed followers to do. Do you want more archers? Or maybe some wizards. You can also add some strength to you walls or repair them if the situation is looking bleak. There is a slight element of strategy here and if you make the wrong choices it could mean defeat.

To me this isn’t the kind of game you can play in large chunks at a time. But I always seem to stick it on before playing a disc game like Brawl or Okami. One or two levels and then I’d more than likely be back for another session before my next game. Take it in small doses and the game will be a joy.

It is also worth mentioning that there is a four player mode available. Using four remotes you defend the same castle working together as a team. The great thing about this mode though is that each individual score is kept track of so if you want it can become competitive rather than co-operative. It’s a nice addition and is fun with a few friends.

Visually the game is pretty nice. Presentation is great with desktops, playing cards and random doodles appearing every save screen. Rather than the bloody gross look of the internet version, you’ll now find enemies comprised of buttons, bottle caps and lolly sticks all of which are laid out on a background that looks like it was pieced together in a school art class. It’s strangely stylish and unique making for one of WiiWare’s unusual looking games. Music wise there isn’t a lot to talk about. Actual tunes are nonexistent and sound effects comprise of mainly noises that sound like they come from people’s mouths. Explosions, transformations, you name it. Again it’s unique and quite funny to hear too.

WiiWare is slowly coming up with its share of decent titles and Defend Your Castle in my opinion is another to be added to that list. At a mere 500 points, Defend You Castle is a great bargain that offers brief moments of mindless fun every time you load it up. The idea may be extremely simple but somehow it manages to keep you coming back just for one last go. Or at least you tell yourself it’s one more.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.