GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Favicon ico in firefox but not IE"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 11/08/08 at 01:30
Firefox displays my sites favorite icon (Favicon .ico) but explorer does not. Any ideas what ive got wrong?
Wed 10/09/08 at 22:01
Regular
"wheres the Any Key?"
hiya, ive got favicon working in explorer7, think it needs to be 8bits may also work with 16bits if that makes sence, (im talkin about squares acroos your image, i just designed it in photoshop saved it as fav.jpg then renamed it to fav.icon, used ftp to upload it to root directory of site, but it did take a few hrs to show up in browser,

just google favicon, theres loads of help out there from website site generators to tutorials, some people even think that we would pay them to make a favicon for us.lol.

my suggestion would be to upload your .icon file to your root directory and check it the next day cos thats all i did, but like you've say, i thought it had not worked at first but it was there the next day. hope this helps and let us kno if you have any joy. keep safe m8.
Mon 11/08/08 at 21:55
sorted! adjusted some code - but apparently this isn't necessary on modern browsers, but i tried it anyway- but it seemd to work in IE5,6 and 7

I'll post the outline of it here in case anyone else finds it useful.
just point the code to your favicon

Mon 11/08/08 at 20:36
many thanks for the reply.
yes thats the site (frames)

first i used a generator on this site http://www.favicon.co.uk/ then I also tried versions created in MS paint (figuring that would be bulletproof for microsofts internet explorer)and also a desperate version in PaintShop Pro all in 16x16 and 32x32 sizes.
the current version is from the generator at favicon.co.uk.
Mon 11/08/08 at 08:54
"Are you sure?"
I'm guessing the icon (.ico) hasn't been created correctly.

Using the 'frames' site in your profile I have the same problem. But if I try to view your favicon.ico directly it displays fine in FF but not IE, I get a broken (red cross) image.

How did you create the ico?

Search Freeola Chat
Mon 11/08/08 at 01:30
Firefox displays my sites favorite icon (Favicon .ico) but explorer does not. Any ideas what ive got wrong?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.