GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"(OMG ) The end of the English Language, (LOL)"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 10/08/08 at 14:27
Regular
"The most hotly contested controversy sparked by the text-messaging phenomenon of the past eight years is over truant letters. "Textese," a nascent dialect of English that subverts letters and numbers to produce ultra-concise words and sentiments, is horrifying language loyalists and pedagogues. And their fears are stoked by some staggering numbers: this year the world is on track to produce 2.3 trillion messages—a nearly 20 percent increase from 2007 and almost 150 percent from 2000. The accompanying revenue for telephone companies is growing nearly as fast—to an estimated $60 billion this year. In the English-speaking world, Britain alone generates well over 6 billion text messages every month. People are communicating more and faster than ever, but some worry that, as textese drops consonants, vowels and punctuation and makes no distinction between letters and numbers, people will no longer know how we're really supposed to communicate. Will text messaging produce generations of illiterates? Could this—OMG—be the death of the English language?"

Full article here

There are some interesting points in the article:

The language of texting is hardly as deviant as people think.

* Tailored text predates the text message, so we might as well accept that ours is a langauge of vandals. Who even knows these days what p.m. stands for?

* The resulting differences between American and British English are more pronounced than the differences between, say, the language of nespapers and text messages. Interestingly, there are hardly any diffeences between American and British texting.

Texting actually makes young people better communicators, not worse.

* In one British experiment, children who texted - and who wielded plenty of abbreviations - scored higher on reading and vocabulary tests. In fact, the more adept they were at abbreviating, the better they did in spelling and writing.

* Winners of text poetry contests in Britain proves that the force behind texting is a penchant for innovation, not linguistic laziness.

This wasn't in the article I don't think but apparently 1 in 10 people in Britain have injured themselves by walking into something, whilst texting,

Have any of you ever had injured yourself whilst texting??

What are your thoughts on the texting mania that has gripped us and its effects on the proper use of the English language?
Tue 12/08/08 at 09:24
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
tnc wrote:
> Far more annoying in my opinion is people who are incapable of
> editing any message on Facebook or the like - leaving sentences
> that dRIFT INTO CAPS. Also, people who write one long, incoherent
> mess with no commas or spaces between lines of a lengthy message.
> And finally there's sentences with multiple words left as
> "poeple" or quite simply: "wierd".

I guess more people need to check for typing mistakes, I know I usually don't bother. But then, I'm bad at typing in the first place, and I've quite often removed Caps lock keys as they get in the way...

Timmargh wrote:
> P.S. I knew the real answer without having to look it up, but
> then I did go to a grammar school.

I was almost sure and didn't look it up, and I did my A-levels last year at a comprehensive. That count for much? :D
Tue 12/08/08 at 02:26
Regular
If I'm honest, it really doesn't bother me. Which is quite surprising considering how finicky I am about spelling and punctuation usually

I tend to use a fair amount of abbreviations when I text but as someone said, that's also partly due to needing to cut the length down to get everything into one text. If I had free texts I might feel differently. More importantly though I tend to only use texts when I'm on a night out - usually involving walking while stabbing at the keys and not being all that bothered about the sense the message makes. I leave out capitals and full stops as they don't greatly affect the intended meaning of a text, but other than that it's standard quick English - with a few abbreviations like "wher" as I'm not usually at the level of sobriety I need to bother adding unnecessary letters, which I then have to sift through and crop down at the end of the first text to ensure it stays as a single 12p one

Far more annoying in my opinion is people who are incapable of editing any message on Facebook or the like - leaving sentences that dRIFT INTO CAPS. Also, people who write one long, incoherent mess with no commas or spaces between lines of a lengthy message. And finally there's sentences with multiple words left as "poeple" or quite simply: "wierd".
Tue 12/08/08 at 02:16
Regular
pb wrote:
> I nearly always text in full. The predictive texting on my V3 is
> good enough that I don't have to type every word in full anyway.
> Occassionally

You can tell you've been at the predictive ;P
Mon 11/08/08 at 22:01
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Dont like it and dont use it. I'm fairly picky on punctuation as well, unless i'm out and about.
Mon 11/08/08 at 20:39
Regular
"Twenty quid."
schummi wrote:
> ... Who even knows these days what p.m. stands for?

PocketMonkey of course.

P.S. I knew the real answer without having to look it up, but then I did go to a grammar school.
Mon 11/08/08 at 15:29
"possibly impossible"
Luetchyboy wrote:
> "Txt speak" is fine when the abbreviations make sense,
> however I used to know someone who used some of the following:
>
> g8=great
> tou=though or through
>
> There was more but I can't quite remember the others but I do
> remember that more than once I just text back saying "What
> the hell does that mean?"
>
> Personally I prefer attempting to correctly spell and punctuate
> everything (note the attempt not necessarily indicating
> success.)
>
> One thing that really bugs me (and I have fallen victim of it
> more than once) is people who end every damn sentence with !

That's just silly!
Mon 11/08/08 at 14:17
Regular
"Txt speak" is fine when the abbreviations make sense, however I used to know someone who used some of the following:

g8=great
tou=though or through

There was more but I can't quite remember the others but I do remember that more than once I just text back saying "What the hell does that mean?"

Personally I prefer attempting to correctly spell and punctuate everything (note the attempt not necessarily indicating success.)

One thing that really bugs me (and I have fallen victim of it more than once) is people who end every damn sentence with !
Mon 11/08/08 at 10:41
"possibly impossible"
I nearly always text in full. The predictive texting on my V3 is good enough that I don't have to type every word in full anyway. Occassionally I'll use the odd abbreviation here or there, but most of the time they seem to take just as long to type.

I don't have a problem with people texting in text-speak, but when they use it on forums or in other forms it gets annoying.
Mon 11/08/08 at 10:34
Regular
El Viking wrote:
>" * Tailored text predates the text message, so we might as well
> accept that ours is a langauge of vandals. Who even knows these
> days what p.m. stands for?"
>
> The M's meridian, I think. Per, or post for the P? Is it latin?
> "
> * In one British experiment, children who texted - and who
> wielded plenty of abbreviations - scored higher on reading and
> vocabulary tests. In fact, the more adept they were at
> abbreviating, the better they did in spelling and writing."
>
> Maybe so, but I tend to get irritated at people who use too many
> abbreivations and no punctuations on messenger or Facebook. It
> tends to make people look stupid, to be perfectly honest,
> especially when you've got a whole keyboard in front of you and
> no character limit.
> "
> * Winners of text poetry contests in Britain proves that the
> force behind texting is a penchant for innovation, not
> linguistic
> laziness."
>
> True, tis a fine art.

Yeah, It is post meridien. I agree with what about you said about it being irratating, not having any punctuation, because sometimes it can take me a while to work out the message, as it does not make sense. However I do use abbreviations at times in texts messages just so I can fit everything into one text if it's a long one and on messenger I just have a mixed style. I don't think it's the end of the english language, like the article says, but maybe an extentsion to it or a new english. Some people still speak old english.... like the old testament and new testament...
Sun 10/08/08 at 16:37
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
> * Tailored text predates the text message, so we might as well
> accept that ours is a langauge of vandals. Who even knows these
> days what p.m. stands for?

The M's meridian, I think. Per, or post for the P? Is it latin?

> * In one British experiment, children who texted - and who
> wielded plenty of abbreviations - scored higher on reading and
> vocabulary tests. In fact, the more adept they were at
> abbreviating, the better they did in spelling and writing.

Maybe so, but I tend to get irritated at people who use too many abbreivations and no punctuations on messenger or Facebook. It tends to make people look stupid, to be perfectly honest, especially when you've got a whole keyboard in front of you and no character limit.

> * Winners of text poetry contests in Britain proves that the
> force behind texting is a penchant for innovation, not linguistic
> laziness.

True, tis a fine art.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.