GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"All athlon users in here......."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 21/10/02 at 21:19
Regular
i am wondering what differance there really is between AMD ATHLONS and PENTIUM 4's in the real world, so all you guys with athlon xp's benchmark your computers using Sisoft sandra 2002 (i belive you can get a free download at www.downloads.com), use the CPU, MEMORY and MULTIMEDIA TESTS and post your PC spec as well, including Operating system.

Close down as much background aplications as possible.

I know turbonutter will be up for this ;)

I'll do mine now, to show you what i mean.................
Thu 24/10/02 at 17:35
Regular
"^_^"
An Athlon XP will run Windows Xp better than its P4 equal. Also an AMD will run games better and is a faster number cruncher. the P4 is good with MEdia but there is nothing wrong with the Athlons media handling capabilities.
Thu 24/10/02 at 12:15
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Well, with 512k L2, or possibly more, with SSE2, it'll be pretty damn good :)
Thu 24/10/02 at 07:34
Regular
I might even get a hammer when they come out depends on price n performance with DVI.

c.b.
Thu 24/10/02 at 00:43
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
AMD_MAN wrote:
> Thats were the P4 is better then as it takes 1 hours and 30 mins for a
> 1 hour 50 mins film, it actually encodes quicker than the film runs
> and i am constantly pumping them out, this is why i have to stick with
> P4 for the time being.
>
> c.b.

Well, DVI is just about the only thing P4s are good for, and that's only because of SSE2. The fact is, apart from SSE2, they're just too slow, and now with Hammers just around the corner...
Wed 23/10/02 at 22:21
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
you wanted benchys..........

Athlon 1700+ stock speed in SANDRA 2002 Pro

CPU Arithmetic test

Dhrystone ALU: 4036 MIPS
Whetstone FPU: 2019 MFLOPS

CPU Multimedia test

Integer aEMMX/aSSE: 7914 it/s
Floating Point aSSE: 9282 it/s
Wed 23/10/02 at 11:20
Regular
Thats were the P4 is better then as it takes 1 hours and 30 mins for a 1 hour 50 mins film, it actually encodes quicker than the film runs and i am constantly pumping them out, this is why i have to stick with P4 for the time being.

c.b.
Wed 23/10/02 at 08:54
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Ripping a 1:55 hour film took 3:06 at 640x360 w/ DivX 5.0.2 (16:9).

Output was 613mb.

Problem is, it won't play in WMP so I have to use Winamp3, grr. I used DVDx to encode it.

Quality doesn't seem too bad though...
Tue 22/10/02 at 19:09
Regular
YOu need these programs:

Smartripper (may need to run DVD for a second in a dvd playback software to unlock)
Latest Divx codec (www.divx.com)
Flask Mpeg

You will find all these on Kazaa or similar or even type dvd ripping software and there are some whole kits with this lot of software and a manual on all differant settings.

c.b.
Tue 22/10/02 at 18:50
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Strange you should say that, I was just about to rip my copy of Pulp Fiction (don't worry SR, it's legal, you sent me it as a matter of fact).

Tell me what software you use and what settings, and I'll tell you how long. Pentiums 4s are generally very quick at ripping DVDs though, what with SSE2 and all.

PS. I'm stable at 1.85ghz now, heh.
Tue 22/10/02 at 16:18
Regular
Not bad benchys at all Turbonutter, i must admit i am pretty impressed :).

Do you Convert dvd to divx?, if so how long does it take for a whole film roughly?.

c.b.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.