GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Driving"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 20/10/02 at 09:08
Regular
Why is it that on the way to work, when you're already running a few minutes late, a stupid old fool with a fast car decides that the sign with the black line through it means 'drive as slow as you can'?

It really makes me think that people over 70 should have a compulsory eye and reaction test if they want to continue to drive. Just the other day I was coming home late at night and got stuck behind some old woman that kept slowing down to 20 every time another car came past, because she obviously couldn't take the glare from the headlights!

Perhaps these people learnt to drive during the war (no driving test if you had to drive a tank or other vehicle in the war, they just let everyone go out on the road afterwards. No I know all those people that drove tanks in the war helped us and I'm greatful for their duty, but I don't really want to be on the same road as someone who drives their car like a tank and has no understanding of the traffic signs, let alone be able to actually see them.

One of the few pleasures in life is getting from a 40mph zone to a national speed limit zone and sticking the car in 5th as you take the corners at 55-60mph. This is especially true when I come home from a hard day's work. I'm not a careless driver, I always slow down in towns and watch my speed all the time, but the problem of old people not being able to drive properly is a big one, especially in the country towns.

The worst thing is when old people have brand new cars, fast cars too. They drive big powerful beasts that are capable of 0-60 in no time at all, but what do they do? Yes, poodle along at 30mph all day with a mile long queue of traffic behind them. That should be reason enough for the police to take them off the road and examine them, but no, the police are more keen on catching people who go 5mph over the speed limit (and I'm not arguing that speeding is a good thing, either).

One day there will be roads for people like that and other roads for the rest of us, so we can actually enjoy driving again. Bah!
Sun 20/10/02 at 09:08
"possibly impossible"
Why is it that on the way to work, when you're already running a few minutes late, a stupid old fool with a fast car decides that the sign with the black line through it means 'drive as slow as you can'?

It really makes me think that people over 70 should have a compulsory eye and reaction test if they want to continue to drive. Just the other day I was coming home late at night and got stuck behind some old woman that kept slowing down to 20 every time another car came past, because she obviously couldn't take the glare from the headlights!

Perhaps these people learnt to drive during the war (no driving test if you had to drive a tank or other vehicle in the war, they just let everyone go out on the road afterwards. No I know all those people that drove tanks in the war helped us and I'm greatful for their duty, but I don't really want to be on the same road as someone who drives their car like a tank and has no understanding of the traffic signs, let alone be able to actually see them.

One of the few pleasures in life is getting from a 40mph zone to a national speed limit zone and sticking the car in 5th as you take the corners at 55-60mph. This is especially true when I come home from a hard day's work. I'm not a careless driver, I always slow down in towns and watch my speed all the time, but the problem of old people not being able to drive properly is a big one, especially in the country towns.

The worst thing is when old people have brand new cars, fast cars too. They drive big powerful beasts that are capable of 0-60 in no time at all, but what do they do? Yes, poodle along at 30mph all day with a mile long queue of traffic behind them. That should be reason enough for the police to take them off the road and examine them, but no, the police are more keen on catching people who go 5mph over the speed limit (and I'm not arguing that speeding is a good thing, either).

One day there will be roads for people like that and other roads for the rest of us, so we can actually enjoy driving again. Bah!
Sun 20/10/02 at 09:56
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
I drive to and from Nottingham 4 times a week at the busiest times, my trip goes through towns, a village, a bypass and all different areas. I've found that younger drivers, as in those who've just passed their test, and who think a Vauxhall Nova with a large exhaust is some kind of Ferrari, are a far greater pain than any old people I've seen on the road.

~~Belldandy~~
Sun 20/10/02 at 20:38
Regular
Sounds like you drive on the "Circuit"
Ever been on it on a Sunday night? Ohhh man scary drivin.
Bloody excellent.

All the Novas,GTIs, and other bod boy cars meet up at the traffic lights outside Broad Marsh carpark and show off, racing round in front of the ice stadium and back to Broad Marsh. You'll come close to death at least seven times on the five min drive.
All the while there are LOADS of people standing on either side of the road watching and checking out each others cars.

Then they all meet up at the Marina McDonalds, make a huge circle wiv der carz and do donuts in the middle.

Bet you can't guess where all the coppers are on a Sunday ;)

I wish I could drive. :(
Sun 20/10/02 at 22:03
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Mystique wrote:
> Sounds like you drive on the "Circuit"
> Ever been on it on a Sunday night? Ohhh man scary drivin.
> Bloody excellent.
>
> Bet you can't guess where all the coppers are on a Sunday ;)

Ah, anyone in Nottingham knows the answer to that..anywhere but there :) Where I live our Police force sent up the helicopter they have to look for a lost dog this week, why ? Because they hadn't used it much this week and needed the flight time... yay.

~~Belldandy~~
Sun 20/10/02 at 23:53
Regular
I drive to UNI everyday, going down the Motorway for 20 miles or so. The UNI is quite literally right next to the motorway so as soon as you get off the junction you are in the UNI! which is nice. When the motorway is clear i can do the trip in under 20 mins. Although in morning traffic it can take up to 50 mins!
Mon 21/10/02 at 09:33
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Or†ega wrote: When the
> motorway is clear i can do the trip in under 20 mins. Although in
> morning traffic it can take up to 50 mins!

Same here, I *love* the rush hour drive every tuesday and thursday....:(
Beats going to work though :P

~~Belldandy~~
Mon 21/10/02 at 10:06
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
I could rant for days on this one.

Yes, over 70 should have a test resit and sight test. The government will pay for it. They owe it to us seeing as only 1/6th of road tax is actually spent on the road system.

While we are here, all drivers taking their test should ride a 50cc moped for at least one year before being allowed in a car. Driving lessons are useless in comparison to experience, and a 17 year old being able to buy a 200mph+ car (money allowing) having had only 8 days behind a wheel is sickening.

Anyone who loses their licence for a year or more through point totting, drink driving (theres never any ****ing excuse), or prison time, should have to resit their test.

I have at least a thousand more.

Slaveunit (Full car licence, Advanced IAM car test passed, Skidpan trained. Forklift licence, 7.5 tonne truck licence, Full motorcycle licence, Advanced IAM motorcycle licence, Police 1 motorcycle licence, Provisional track racing licence)
Mon 21/10/02 at 10:21
Regular
"..."
Mystique wrote:
>
> All the Novas,GTIs, and other bod boy cars

Its a sad, sad day when people think that novas are bad boy cars...
Mon 21/10/02 at 10:36
Regular
"..."
Plus to add to your point, apparently the highway code hasn't been updated for years. It says the average stopping distance of a car at 70 mph is 315 ft, when most cars today with ABS etc can do it in just over 200...

Perhaps speed limits should be put up...
Mon 21/10/02 at 10:40
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Heh, the McDonald Car-Park Andrettis.

Come to Harlow, it's the funniest thing you'll ever see.
Went there last night to get some money and a curry. Now my mate has a Integra R-Type.
This thing is a monster, a designed speedy car and he's a normal bloke that doesn't tear about with his stereo "pumping", he just likes that car and always wanted one.

And in the car-park what did we see?
A Citroen Saxo with a massive exhaust and blacked out windows.

A CITROEN! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

"Papa?"
"Nicole!"

THAT is your Citroen.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.