GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"R4DS help..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 05/08/08 at 21:00
Regular
"Thinking and typing"
Hello everyone...

I've just got an R4DS cartridge (before anyone starts screaming, I know, I know, and yes they ARE legal) but I can't get the download to use the software - it seems they've stopped sending out CDs and suggest you download from online - at r4ds.com - but that site doesn't exist!

I've dowloaded other 'kernels' but I needed an application to open the rar files (???) but it seems I need to pay for that - OMIGOD - I need help!!

Please can someone help me or point me in the right direction :(

thaaaaaaaaaanks
Wed 06/08/08 at 22:01
Regular
"eat toast!"
MarcoG wrote:
> spoonbeast wrote:
> winrar is free. I downloaded it from the website and whilst it
> constantly asks for you to pay for it, you can tell them to go
> to
> hell and keep using it without consequence.
>
> Mind you, I want an R4DS card, but at anywhere between 21-50
> quid i'm not so sure i want one. I could play lemming DS though
> or doom or emulator games and of course the illegal methods,
> but
> the moral issue.
>
> My solution? GADS and selective choosing of games.
>
> It only cost 14GBP inc delivery from Amazon - ooo la la

ah, but its not sold directly by amazon is it? Whats the link? maybe i'll have a look and decide myself. But i can't think of many legal uses apart from maybe lemmingsds and even then, well, i suppose i could turn into a pirate...
Wed 06/08/08 at 18:17
Regular
"Thinking and typing"
Thanks btw everyone for your help - off to find rar stuff...wish me luck
Wed 06/08/08 at 18:16
Regular
"Thinking and typing"
spoonbeast wrote:
> winrar is free. I downloaded it from the website and whilst it
> constantly asks for you to pay for it, you can tell them to go to
> hell and keep using it without consequence.
>
> Mind you, I want an R4DS card, but at anywhere between 21-50
> quid i'm not so sure i want one. I could play lemming DS though
> or doom or emulator games and of course the illegal methods, but
> the moral issue.
>
> My solution? GADS and selective choosing of games.

It only cost 14GBP inc delivery from Amazon - ooo la la
Wed 06/08/08 at 16:06
Regular
Garin wrote:
> Well
> a) I dont think it likely that the maker is a licensed Nintendo
> developer. So you're probably breaking your EULA with Nintendo
> just by plugging it in.
> b) The device itself it almost certainly circumventing the copy
> protection Nintendo places in the DS to stop it running unsigned
> crap. EUCD law forbids this type of thing.
>
> ...
>
> I could go on but you get the idea. I think the idea that its
> legal is just perpetuated by the people selling it.

HomeBrew isn't illegal but for all intensive purposes the cards are used to circumvent copyright laws and basically meaning people don't need to buy games. I doubt Nintendo would batter an eyelid if these cards were only being used for Homebrew software but the fact is I could safely bet 95% of them aren't.
Wed 06/08/08 at 15:10
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Luetchyboy wrote:
> The hardware itself is actually legal it's what people are doing
> with it that isn't.

Well
a) I dont think it likely that the maker is a licensed Nintendo developer. So you're probably breaking your EULA with Nintendo just by plugging it in.
b) The device itself it almost certainly circumventing the copy protection Nintendo places in the DS to stop it running unsigned crap. EUCD law forbids this type of thing.

I could go on but you get the idea. I think the idea that its legal is just perpetuated by the people selling it.
Wed 06/08/08 at 14:02
"possibly impossible"
I think there are even issues with the hardware being considered legal, as it's not sanctioned by Nintendo and possibly has to reverse engineer the original firmware in order to provide a new one.
Wed 06/08/08 at 13:55
Regular
Garin wrote:
> Care to prove they are legal? :)
The hardware itself is actually legal it's what people are doing with it that isn't.
Wed 06/08/08 at 08:29
"possibly impossible"
Bah, I've got a DS Real with the new Sakura firmware instead of the DS Real firmware and it's fantastic.

Accepts a Micro SDHC card, so we're talking anywhere from 4gb to 16gb storage capacity for movies and MP3 as well as games.

Amazon marketplace sells them with Micro SD cards pretty reasonably. Getting the Sakura firmware on them is just a matter of going to here. (use the English translated version). You often have to ensure the card is reformatted first, but full instructions are on that link.
Tue 05/08/08 at 22:40
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
MarcoG wrote:
> Hello everyone...
>
> I've just got an R4DS cartridge (before anyone starts screaming,
> I know, I know, and yes they ARE legal) but I can't get the
> download to use the software - it seems they've stopped sending
> out CDs and suggest you download from online - at r4ds.com - but
> that site doesn't exist!

Care to prove they are legal? :)

Anyway its r4ds.cn these days, although the frontpage is down at the moment. Direct links into the site are working such as http://r4ds.cn/download/r4.html though.

And as Spoonbeast already said, WinRar is available as a trial. Even after the 30 days it lets you use it still though, it just nags a bit.
Tue 05/08/08 at 22:07
Regular
"eat toast!"
winrar is free. I downloaded it from the website and whilst it constantly asks for you to pay for it, you can tell them to go to hell and keep using it without consequence.

Mind you, I want an R4DS card, but at anywhere between 21-50 quid i'm not so sure i want one. I could play lemming DS though or doom or emulator games and of course the illegal methods, but the moral issue.

My solution? GADS and selective choosing of games.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.