GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Without David Seaman"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 18/10/02 at 15:12
Regular
After that 'shocking' result for England at home to Macedonia on Wednesday night, and more importantly; "THAT goal", David Seaman has been pin-pointed as the main reason behind England's sudden slump in form after an impressive World Cup, which was ended by another Seaman 'gaff' envolving Ronaldinho of Brazil.
Whether Sakiri had intended to shoot or-not is only irrelevant. Perhaps Seaman could've done something, or at least jumped for it... But with a wicked curl like that I don't think that any keeper would've stood a chance.
But no matter what you think, David Seaman is still being victimised as the main problem in the England team after seeing the ball fly embarrisingly over his head for the third time this year in all competitive competitions, and not just for England.

Many believe that Wednesday night's encounter at St. Mary's could be the very last time we see David Seaman wearing the No.1 shirt for England for the remainder of this year at least - and some are hoping it will last even longer.
Under-fire England manager Sven-Goran Eriksson has already made it clear that Seaman will still be in contention for a place in his England Squads, even for the next few years, untill he turns 40. That just goes to show you how highly he rates the Arsenal No.1 (just like Arséne Wenger), and that those of us hoping to see him removed from in-between the sticks shouldn't foolishy expect to see it all go their way anytime soon.

Even if this is how Mr.Eriksson sees the situation himself, many people (mainly the media) are already anticipating changes soon, seeing Seaman relegated down the rotor as several new faces come-in to try and take-over.
What would life be for England without the ever-present David Seaman?
We could very-well soon be finding out. There is already a long-list of Premiership keepers who many feel are more-than-ready to come-in and take the responsibillity on a regular basis...

Paul Robinson found himself a place on the Subs' Bench in Southampton 2 nights ago, and also in Slovakia, Saturday evening. And we all know Sven-Goran Eriksson wouldn't be just 'any' youngster unless he felt he was truly ready - look at Wayne Braidge and Owen Hargreaves for example.
Remember Nigel Martyn? Yeah, the guy who used to play in-goal for Leeds United on a regular-basis. Where is he know? He's still at Elland Road - no, i'm not lying! It's just that Terry Venables preffers the younger talent Paul Robinson in-goal instead now. Oh, how things have changed...
Who's to say he couldn't keep Seaman out of the England team when given the chance to impress after persuading a former-England manager to give him 'the nod' over the fomer-England No.2? He may be young, but there's obviously 'something' about him...

Even if the former-Bristol Rovers keeper is getting pushed-aside by 'Robbo', Nigel Martyn has shown-us before that he is 'Interntional Quality'.
But if he wants to work-his-way back into contention, he'll have to nick his Leeds place back first-of-all!

Ever since he left Liverpool David James has been playing better than ever - and he's actually punching the ball AWAY from his own-goal now too!
He had a good early impact at Villa Park and impressed all his critics who had followed him on from Anfield, while he also began to catch-the-eye of the current England manager, and forced his way into the squad on a regular-basis - even if he still wasn't getting picked as the 'First Choice'.
Sinc his surprise summer move to West Ham though, the team have actually been doing worse - but some good performances have kept him in contention for quite some time now. And he's even started a few games for England also during Eriksson's reign, and England have never lost 'THAT badly' with him in-goal either.
He may have had some bad patches in the past with Liverpool - and not to mention some dodgyh hair-cuts since-then also - but he's obviously got the gift in the eye's of many top Football Managers - including Sir Alex Ferguson (who was once rumoured to be lining-James-up as a successor to Peter Schmeichel!).

I can think of a few other names who have played in-goal for England before who could still have a half-decent chance of making it too...
Richard Wright, Tim Flowers, and even Ian Walker...
But there's just something about these players....
They just aren't David Seaman!

Seaman has been England's No.1 for many years now, and he - nor many other people - will want that to change. He has been chosen over all the rest for a very good reason or two, and not just because of who he plays for, or 'that save' he once made.
He may have greasy, daft-looking, girlish hair, but he's still the best keeper out-there who is still playing at the top that England have on-offer to them.
There isn't anyone else out-there who is quite like him.
Nobody else could take-over as England's No.1 Goalkeeper.

He was the man that kept-us-alive with 'THAT save' in the Penalty Shoot-Out in Euro '96, even if we did go-on to later lose it in the semi's to the victorious Germans.
No-other English keeper could've done the same, and so-confidentally too.
Who cares if he was beaten by Nayim all those years ago in Europe for Arsenal, and then by Ronaldinho against Brazil in the summer, and Garreth Farrelly against Bolton in the Premiership, AND there was that goal on Wednesday night too... should it really matter?
We all know he's the best keeper England have - and he's still (even at his age!) one of the best Goalkeepers on-show in the World of Football today. He may make a few mistakes here and there, but how many goalkeepers haven't?
Every keeper makesa big mistake or-two sooner-or-later, it's something they all just have to deal-with before going-out-there next Saturday to try and stop the likes of van Nistelrooy and Michael Owen. Even the great Schmeichel once made a mistke or two, and our respect for him is still as-great-as-ever (even if he is now playing for Man City!).

Take Seaman him away, and England are a totally different team.
He will be dearly-missed when he does quit the International Scene alone at the age of 40 (or maybe a year or two later).
Tue 22/10/02 at 03:34
Regular
"Trout a la creme"
I'll be interested in how the Manninger thing turns out, the last time I checked the club who signed him has canceled the contract as he refused to renegotiate a lower salary after the initial signing and then the lawyers were called in to settle it.

Ahh Cest La Vie!
Mon 21/10/02 at 16:54
Regular
"bWo > You"
With Stuart Taylor with have a hope of getting a good successor to Seaman's crown, but we should have kept Manninger, and we were right to have sold Wright. In my opinion, we should do everything possible to snap up the future England no.1, Chris Kirkland, from Liverpool, as he'll have to wait until Dudek does something wrong before he gets a Premiership game.
Mon 21/10/02 at 16:52
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Seaman was on fantastic form in the Everton game, and he did make one or two brilliant saves to deny Gravesen alone. I wasn't expecting him to be playing like that after Wednesday night's 'moral-decreaser', but he showed he is still a true proffesional, and well-worthy of England's No.1 jersey.

I will be very surprised if he isn't offered a Coaching Role from the Arsenal manager when the time comes for him to hang-up his gloves.

I can't see why you really sold Manninger or Wright either.
They were both great keepers - especially Manninger.
But Manninger was a player who needs first-team football, and that was something he couldn't get at 'The L'Highbury'. ;D
And I can only assume that Wright felt the same way, and that it WASN'T just because he's English and not French.

Wenger did the right thing in letting them go, but he will regret it.
I'm not too sure about their replacements though...
Mon 21/10/02 at 06:31
Regular
"Trout a la creme"
On the Arsenal side of things I don't know why we got rid of both Manninger and Wright, luckily we've still got Taylor and the new swedish guy. Hopefully once Seaman retires he'll have a coaching role with the arsenal keepers like Bob Wilson before him.
Sun 20/10/02 at 18:07
Regular
"None Stored"
i think seaman should be on the bench for a few games, so england can try out Paul Robinson
Sun 20/10/02 at 00:11
Regular
Big dave was good........ but couldnt stop rooneys shot, wait till ya come to highbury with our team with Dennis and Robert back.
Sat 19/10/02 at 23:38
Regular
Seaman was indeed quite amazing today. Not as good as Barthez today though ;)
Sat 19/10/02 at 17:46
"High polygon count"
Apparently Seaman made "world class" saves against Everton today. Nothing he could do about the goals, though.
Sat 19/10/02 at 17:23
Regular
"Fetish for sport"
Seaman is without a doubt still a class keeper but now will be the best time to retire, there is not enough time left to regain the 'hero' status acheived at Euro 96 and everytime he does play for England, Sven Goran Eriksson will be criticised and Seaman will be scrutinized.

Don't know where the ideas about Russel Hoult becoming a possible contender for the number 1 jersey are coming from as the choice will be out of Robinson and James and Kirkland if he can get some regular matches.
Fri 18/10/02 at 17:25
"Darth Vader 3442321"
I think that Seaman will retire before the next England game, else he will become a despised figure of fun, which is not becoming to one of England's greatest ever servants.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.