GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Music I like that you probably don't"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 18/10/02 at 14:01
Regular
This topic can be for anyone, but it'll be cool if you download some stuff I say too, after all, hopefully you haven't heard it, you may not like it, but then again, you might. And no time is wasted if you're doing something new.

I'll list bands, write a bit about them, then give a few songs I recommend trying.

------------------

Emerson, Lake and Palmer.

May have heard of these, they did the Peter Gunn theme, the thing from Blues Brothers and Spyhunter. But they've got a bunch of really decent songs too.

Pianoy electonic stuff... very different, but very cool.

'Lucky Man' is good, as is 'Still... You turn me on'. If you want to try something completely and utterly different though, try 'Hoedown'.

My favourite Emerson, Lake and Palmer song is 'Trilogy' though.

It's basically a song about splitting up with a love... not a 'oh I miss you' thing, but a 'Goodbye, it was good, I'm FREE' song. Just try.

---------------------

Jethro Tull.

Sixties/seventies Dad rock. They rule. The music is, once again, different... very much sounds of the sixties, and lyrically fantastic too.

Some of their songs are pretty... awful. And some of them are great.

Try 'Aqualung' for something different... 'Locomotive Breath' is very good... 'Warchild' is also excellent, but takes a while to get into, and 'Living in the Past' is just generally cool.

--------------------

Nina Simone.

Fantastic black singer, with some really damn fantastic songs.

Only one I'm really going to recommend you download though, because it's possibly my favourite song of all time, is 'Sinnerman'. It's probably guarranteed you won't like it, but hey, listen. It's over ten minutes long, and you WILL need to listen to it a good few times... but please, give it a go, it rules.

---------------------

Pink Floyd

Best band ever in my opinion... DSOTM and The Wall are great, but there's something utterly fantastic about their older stuff...

Funky and cool, best listened to at night with headphones, it will seriously drive you mad.

Try 'Let There Be More Light' and 'Remember a Day' from Saucerful of Secrets... and 'Summer '68' from Atom Heart Mother... ooh, and 'Dogs' from Animals.

But, in my honest opinion, the best Pink Floyd track you can get, from their old days, is 'Atom Heart Mother', which is over twenty minutes long, and split into six parts. Father's Shout, Breast Milky, Mother Fore, Funky Dung, Mind Your Throats Please, Remergence.

Just get Atom Heart Mother. Put it on a MD or something, sit in bed at night, and listen to it with headphones full blast on your own. I pretty much guarantee it'll mess you up. Think classical meets jazz meets rock meets drugged out of your mind.

--------------------

Ani DiFranco

Probably not going to be to many of your tastes, probably because of the kinda vendetta she has against mankind...

But the fact of the matter is, she makes some pretty damn decent music. It's pretty jazzy folk sort of stuff some of the time, but there are some really fantastic songs which are mostly lyrical. She's definitely one of the best singers I've heard, as well as one of the best lyricists.

'School Night', 'Freakshow', 'Little Plastic Castle', 'Swing', 'Deepdish', 'Two Little Girls', 'So What'.

-------------------

That's it for now. Go on, download some. Or all of them. All of them would rock.

Then write some stuff too.
Sat 19/10/02 at 17:03
Regular
The Almighty wrote:

"You really are SO COOL"

Hey, thanks! The only reason I listen to this sort of stuff is so I'm different, not because I love it for what it is at all, oh no.
Sat 19/10/02 at 10:18
"possibly impossible"
Yeah, know what you mean about early Floyd. I couldn't get in to Tull as it never really appealed to me. Just reminded me I need to revisit the old stuff again.

At the moment I seem to be listening to anime music a lot though.
Sat 19/10/02 at 01:52
Regular
"Kill all Hippies"
Well, "Grix Thraves". You obviously are Mr Popular. I mean, you like all this alternative stuff from years ago.

You really are SO COOL
Fri 18/10/02 at 23:57
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
Sinnerman's good. Heard it first in Thomas Crown Affair and it was in Scrubs a few weeks back too.

Muse version of Feeling Good is much better than Nina Simone's version though. No contest.

But The Smith's original of Please, Please, Please Let me Get what I want is far better than Muse's attempt although their attempt was still very good.

Best Smith's song: Well I Wonder

Absolutely fantastic.
Fri 18/10/02 at 16:34
Regular
Hense the word 'probably' in the title, Pink Floyd was more about the old stuff too though, which doesn't seem to be that well known, epecially Atom Heart Mother.
Fri 18/10/02 at 15:22
"Uzi Lover"
My Dad wanted me to make him an Emerson, Lake Palmer CD the other day...and he likes Pink Floyd. A few people do.
Fri 18/10/02 at 15:00
Regular
Grammy or no Grammy, it's still down to taste. Awards are there just to keep the undetirmined going.

Downloading now, Goatboy.
Fri 18/10/02 at 14:59
Regular
"Acid Casual"
I do apologise it was '..And Justice for All' not the Black Album which makes it even more of a tragedy.

1992 they thanked the 'Tull for not puting a record out that year.
Fri 18/10/02 at 14:52
Regular
"Acid Casual"
Grix Thraves wrote:

> Err, sorry? Don't really feel like a pointless fight today, but you
> know, I'm still better than you for knowing that taste is taste.

Maybe thats true. But I'm better than you for knowing that Jethro Tull STOLE the grammy for Best Rock Album from Metallica (Flute playing gypsy rock V The Black Album)in 1992, and that is unforgivable, taste or no taste.
Fri 18/10/02 at 14:16
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Gillian Welch:
Whiskey Girl, My Morphine, Miner's Refrain

Tom Waits:
I dont wanna grow up, Big in Japan, Chocolate Jesus, Starving in the belly of a whale

Dr John:
Right place wrong time, Such a Night, Iko Iko

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.