GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Soul Caliber 4 (Ps3)"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Soul Calibur IV'.
Mon 04/08/08 at 08:32
Regular
"THFC"
One of the year’s biggest titles to date, can Namco’s new instalment of a classic beat em up live up to the expectations?

Well in my opinion it does, and it goes a few steps further.
I first played Soul Blade on the Playstation all those years ago, and had a little go at the second. I owned and played the third and really liked it. The graphics were nice, the one player had more to it than just being a fighting game and the character creation was pretty detailed and good fun.

Soul Caliber 4 not only improves visually on the others, it seems to have gone a bit further with the character creation and the actual story seems to be more important in this game. There are a plenty of different game modes to keep everyone happy. From the classic arcade mode to the story, which for each character is obviously different and by playing through with various characters you can unlock others, or earn gold to buy them. The gold also enables you to purchase more items for character creation. Making your new fighter’s super powerful or they could have rock hard defence. The possibilities are endless and are a great part to a strong game.

So all this before you look at it as being a great multiplayer to have a good fight with your mates on, or pop on to the Playstation Network and challenge people you don’t know. As I have mentioned in other posts, I was sceptical about the online of this game, I have heard it was a dreadful experience with matches being filled with lag. So you can imagine the great surprise I had when my first match was against someone with a 3 bar connection (5 being the max) and it played fine, except for the outcome. It does at times take a little while to actually get a game, but I expect this is due to the high number of players.

This game really has something to offer for most gamers, if you hate fighting games, well I would say you probably will not like this. But if you enjoy a good scrap and a game where you really benefit from learning moves, becoming strong with certain characters then going online to prove yourself to the world. It is a must own game for you. There are obviously players online who have had each game, know all the moves, and are pretty hard to take down, and it can get frustrating if you don’t win, but it is all part of getting better!

A nice new addition to this game is the “honours” that are obtained, you can see a list of what you have achieved in the Battle Records, and just adds a little more life into an all ready deep and varied game. Some being easy to obtain, by creating a character, others require landing x amount of finishing blows, or critical finishes. It is just a little way to keep you working for things.

The Tower of Souls is another game mode that will take up your time but help you improve with your favourite players. You fight against the computer with a set number of players, trying to reach the top, or get to the bottom. Unlocking items, weapons and gold on the way, it is a good way to get better as it can become a bit harder towards the end.

So in summary, we have a beautiful looking, detailed game, with good online play and a nice story to boot. Sounds like a pretty good game, and it is. Smooth battles that have great animations, a good list of moves for a nice roster of players, all this goes in to make the best fighting game I have played for some time. I was looking for a game to play for a while, to get good at, take online and try doing well. This is it, and I would probably say if you’re unsure about a fighting game because they are not your thing, then try renting it, you will not be disappointed.

There are still a few flaws, such as the always annoying button bashers that can knock you off the ring, or take that finishing blow to make you lose the game. To pull of the better moves you need to put the time in, unlike other fighting games where moves are all the same for each character. But then these flaws can all be sorted out with some training and learning moves. The nice thing is that you actually see the reward of getting significantly better and being able to prove it online or against your mates. A really solid game that will be long played on my Playstation 3

9/10
Thu 07/08/08 at 16:14
Regular
"THFC"
Thanks guys!

pb - you will really enjoy it, i have been having so much fun with the character creation. Made a Hulk who looks pretty good!
Thu 07/08/08 at 15:56
"possibly impossible"
Well done, Emmie. Expect to be playing this tonight if possible.
Thu 07/08/08 at 15:54
Regular
"I like turtles"
Well done on the GAD mate.
Tue 05/08/08 at 08:05
Regular
"THFC"
The more i play it the more i like it, won about 5 online now, lost about 10 lol, for some strange reaosn i have beaten level 21 players and 17, but lost all my other ones to level 2 or lower!

I would like to play as Yoda just because i imagine he is fast and hard to hit, making him useful. Vader is fun but a bit slow. Still great game and i have made some fun characters like the Hulk and Link!
Mon 04/08/08 at 21:13
Regular
"I like turtles"
Nice review Emmie,glad you liked the game mate.

It will be really interesting to see how well it sells.Soul Calibur 3 was only ever released on the PS2 and despite being very good it did not sell at all.Saying that it came out late in that consoles life in a market saturated with beat em ups (which may have explained why it got overlooked ?).This time round there are precious few fighting games around (for the current generation of consoles) and this is by far the best one available.I like the way Namco have made the game very accessible to players new to the series (most people i've played on Xbox live have been Calibur virgins !).Hopefully this will help bring a new generation of fans to the series and give this game the success it deserves.
Mon 04/08/08 at 08:32
Regular
"THFC"
One of the year’s biggest titles to date, can Namco’s new instalment of a classic beat em up live up to the expectations?

Well in my opinion it does, and it goes a few steps further.
I first played Soul Blade on the Playstation all those years ago, and had a little go at the second. I owned and played the third and really liked it. The graphics were nice, the one player had more to it than just being a fighting game and the character creation was pretty detailed and good fun.

Soul Caliber 4 not only improves visually on the others, it seems to have gone a bit further with the character creation and the actual story seems to be more important in this game. There are a plenty of different game modes to keep everyone happy. From the classic arcade mode to the story, which for each character is obviously different and by playing through with various characters you can unlock others, or earn gold to buy them. The gold also enables you to purchase more items for character creation. Making your new fighter’s super powerful or they could have rock hard defence. The possibilities are endless and are a great part to a strong game.

So all this before you look at it as being a great multiplayer to have a good fight with your mates on, or pop on to the Playstation Network and challenge people you don’t know. As I have mentioned in other posts, I was sceptical about the online of this game, I have heard it was a dreadful experience with matches being filled with lag. So you can imagine the great surprise I had when my first match was against someone with a 3 bar connection (5 being the max) and it played fine, except for the outcome. It does at times take a little while to actually get a game, but I expect this is due to the high number of players.

This game really has something to offer for most gamers, if you hate fighting games, well I would say you probably will not like this. But if you enjoy a good scrap and a game where you really benefit from learning moves, becoming strong with certain characters then going online to prove yourself to the world. It is a must own game for you. There are obviously players online who have had each game, know all the moves, and are pretty hard to take down, and it can get frustrating if you don’t win, but it is all part of getting better!

A nice new addition to this game is the “honours” that are obtained, you can see a list of what you have achieved in the Battle Records, and just adds a little more life into an all ready deep and varied game. Some being easy to obtain, by creating a character, others require landing x amount of finishing blows, or critical finishes. It is just a little way to keep you working for things.

The Tower of Souls is another game mode that will take up your time but help you improve with your favourite players. You fight against the computer with a set number of players, trying to reach the top, or get to the bottom. Unlocking items, weapons and gold on the way, it is a good way to get better as it can become a bit harder towards the end.

So in summary, we have a beautiful looking, detailed game, with good online play and a nice story to boot. Sounds like a pretty good game, and it is. Smooth battles that have great animations, a good list of moves for a nice roster of players, all this goes in to make the best fighting game I have played for some time. I was looking for a game to play for a while, to get good at, take online and try doing well. This is it, and I would probably say if you’re unsure about a fighting game because they are not your thing, then try renting it, you will not be disappointed.

There are still a few flaws, such as the always annoying button bashers that can knock you off the ring, or take that finishing blow to make you lose the game. To pull of the better moves you need to put the time in, unlike other fighting games where moves are all the same for each character. But then these flaws can all be sorted out with some training and learning moves. The nice thing is that you actually see the reward of getting significantly better and being able to prove it online or against your mates. A really solid game that will be long played on my Playstation 3

9/10

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.