GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Private Messaging on Freeola chat forum ?."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 02/08/08 at 15:00
Regular
"I like turtles"
Is there was any possibility of adding a private messaging system to these forums ?.I thought it may be useful for members who want to trade items (for example) and do not want to publish their email address/contact information on an open forum.Most forum sites have this facility,just wondered if it was a possibility or if anyone else thinks its a good/bad idea.
Tue 05/08/08 at 14:37
Regular
Garin wrote:
> I'd like to receive £1 for every word I post. I'd also
> like payments back dated from when I joined.

I wish they paid me too :(
Tue 05/08/08 at 14:33
"possibly impossible"
How about:

1) Someone buy a nice little domain name from Freeola for their reasonable prices.

2) Set up a forum and private chat as part of that.

3) Invite everyone here.

Sound good?
Tue 05/08/08 at 14:21
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Luetchyboy wrote:
> Don't forget this is YOUR forum too, and the purpose of a forum
> is to gather and chat so if anyone has any brilliant suggestions
> or ideas I'm (and I'm sure all other staffies) are qutie happy to
> hear them.

I'd like to receive £1 for every word I post. I'd also like payments back dated from when I joined.
Tue 05/08/08 at 13:14
Regular
From my experience, strategies to bring members in never actually work. Things that have been proposed in the past like competitions such as bingo did draw in some interest but it was limited exclusively to these people only being involved in the competition or putting up a couple of posts about the competition. Other than that it just appealed to existing members

I've seen Private Messaging features on a fair amount of forums before but then they're forums relating to a game or similar - with several hundred very active users. As has been said, I think putting it here would detract from posts because the exchanges people have in threads such as the WLT would be confined to private messages and as the forum is chat about anything anyway, I see no reason it's really needed. Unless of course people feel there's things they couldn't say publicly, but that seems unlikely
Tue 05/08/08 at 12:12
Regular
Honestly I feel personally (and this is my opinion) that before this forum would get any updates the level of activity would need to jump quite significantly.

Don't get me wrong the posters we do have are on the whole very good but the selection is quite limited.

Don't forget this is YOUR forum too, and the purpose of a forum is to gather and chat so if anyone has any brilliant suggestions or ideas I'm (and I'm sure all other staffies) are qutie happy to hear them.
Sun 03/08/08 at 18:48
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Its not a crap idea at all. And I've yet to see private messaging take away posts from a forum anywhere else so not sure how it would apply here. In fact the opposite is often true.

The reality is updating this forum seems to be quite low on Freeola's priorities anyway. So I doubt we'll see such a feature regardless of it being good or bad. :)
Sun 03/08/08 at 12:45
Regular
"I like turtles"
OK,so it was obviously a crap idea then ?.
Sat 02/08/08 at 16:40
Regular
"I may return"
Mmm. If there were hundreds of posters daily then it would be great idea... but there isn't.
Sat 02/08/08 at 16:36
Regular
"Monochromatic"
I think anything that takes away posts from the forum is a bad idea.
Sat 02/08/08 at 15:00
Regular
"I like turtles"
Is there was any possibility of adding a private messaging system to these forums ?.I thought it may be useful for members who want to trade items (for example) and do not want to publish their email address/contact information on an open forum.Most forum sites have this facility,just wondered if it was a possibility or if anyone else thinks its a good/bad idea.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.