GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Commodore - do you ever wonder?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 15/10/02 at 16:32
Regular
I just sold some old Commodore machines on eBay, and it started me on a trip down memory lane.

Then I wondered: suppose Commodore hadn't gone bust - what status would they have achieved by now?

Practically every machine they produced has become a classic - from the old Personal Electronic Transactor (PET), through the VIC-20 and C64, to the 128, and then the entire Amiga range, to the CDTV and their only 'true' games machine - the CD32.

Commodore were possibly the first computer company to develop a 'cult' following for their machines (by that, I mean 'true' computers, not games consoles), and those fans still love the machines today. Indeed, my only reason for selling was simply that I don't have the room to keep the machines set up.

They were the first company to develop custom sound and graphics chips for their computers, and this meant that their systems were always streets ahead of the competition. Although for some strange reason the Spectrum was hugely popular, the C64 beat it hands-down in almost every area. Sound was far, far superior, as were the graphics (sprites, no colour clash) - and Commodore's tape system was just streets ahead; no messing with volume controls or listening to that grating binary when you were loading a game. The same applied to the Commodore and Spectrum 128 machines.

Then we moved into the Amiga era, and quite simply, the bell tolled for the opposition. Atari tried to muscle in, with the ST launching slightly before the original Amiga systems. But once Amiga landed, it was game over.

With proper multi-tasking Motorola CPUs, a beautifully designed operating system (far better than the equivalent Windows of the time), AutoConfig for peripherals (Plug n Play that worked properly, over a decade before Mr. Gates even thought of it), and the ability to display graphics in a range of colours that PCs couldn't even dream of, the Amiga was an instant hit with practically everyone.

With CDTV (an Amiga 500 in a black VCR-style case), they were the first company to launch a machine with a built-in CD-ROM drive. Designed to sit under and connect to any TV, and supplied with an infra-red remote control, as well as all the standard connections of an Amiga computer, with this machine they beat even Sony to the idea of a complete home-entertainment system.

Sadly, at £599.99, the machine was over-priced, and was to bring about the beginning of the end for Commodore as a company. Soon after, they would sell their PC division to German company Escom (who also later went broke), and set about developing the Amiga CD32.

Where the CDTV had been based on the 16-bit Amiga 500 series, the CD32 was based on the 128-bit Amiga 1200 series, and presented the world with two 'firsts'. It was both the worlds first 32-bit dedicated console system, and the first to be based on CD-ROM.

Sadly, with Commodore already on the slide and piracy spiralling, the CD32 got little support, and its life was short-lived. A shame, because it - and Commodore - deserved far more.

Commodore's problem was that they were a little too far ahead of the game - breaking new ground too early. They missed the gaming explosion.

Just a year or so after the demise of CD32 and Commodore, Sony would launch the PlayStation - a 32-bit, CD-based system which would take the world by storm.

So, to get back to my original question: if Commodore hadn't gone bust, what status would they have achieved by now?

Had they continued to develop at a pace comparable to the PC and/or games markets, I think we'd be seeing some pretty outstanding products on the shelves now. Who knows, maybe they'd be the market leaders instead of Sony.

Commodore PlayStation, anybody?
Thu 17/10/02 at 09:22
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> Commodore were possibly the first computer company to develop a 'cult'
> following for their machines (by that, I mean 'true' computers, not
> games consoles), and those fans still love the machines today.
> Indeed, my only reason for selling was simply that I don't have the
> room to keep the machines set up.

How about ZX80?
AppleI?

> They were the first company to develop custom sound and graphics chips
> for their computers, and this meant that their systems were always
> streets ahead of the competition. Although for some strange reason
> the Spectrum was hugely popular, the C64 beat it hands-down in almost
> every area. Sound was far, far superior, as were the graphics
> (sprites, no colour clash) - and Commodore's tape system was just
> streets ahead; no messing with volume controls or listening to that
> grating binary when you were loading a game. The same applied to the
> Commodore and Spectrum 128 machines.

So you think that the X-Box is obviously the best console around, beating the PS2 and GC without a second glance? :)
Tue 15/10/02 at 17:09
"High polygon count"
Oops! Spot the deliberate mistake!

> Where the CDTV had been based on the 16-bit Amiga 500 series, the CD32
> was based on the 128-bit Amiga 1200 series

The A1200 was in fact 32-bit, not 128-bit!
Tue 15/10/02 at 16:54
"Darkness, always"
Ah, I remember my old C64.

Brings a tear to my eye. The only thing I had before that was the trusty Atari 2600.

Those were the days!
Tue 15/10/02 at 16:47
Regular
I had an old Amiga 500+, I used to love playing games on that. I had Speedball and would spend hours on it.

If they had stayed afloat, I think that they would be doing ok, but not market leaders. I suspect the PSX would have sold more units than any Commodore console, purely because the name Sony meant more to the average Jo that Commodore did.

However, I think that they would have survived a while, but would they still have been around now? Who knows. With the money involved in developing and launching a new machine these days, I somehow think not...
Tue 15/10/02 at 16:39
Regular
Amiga was the first thingy we had, I spent ages playing classic games like Lemmings, and one of my favourite games ever; Troddlers. If they were around making consoles now, maybe Microsoft would never have entered the arena, and maybe with Commodore, Nintendo and SEGA, Sony may have never designed the Playstation.

It would be interesting to see what would have happened. Who knows? Gaming may have never becoming popular, comapanies wouldn't be trying to cash in and as a result we'd still have classic games being made instead of all this rubbish that gets churned out today.
Tue 15/10/02 at 16:32
"High polygon count"
I just sold some old Commodore machines on eBay, and it started me on a trip down memory lane.

Then I wondered: suppose Commodore hadn't gone bust - what status would they have achieved by now?

Practically every machine they produced has become a classic - from the old Personal Electronic Transactor (PET), through the VIC-20 and C64, to the 128, and then the entire Amiga range, to the CDTV and their only 'true' games machine - the CD32.

Commodore were possibly the first computer company to develop a 'cult' following for their machines (by that, I mean 'true' computers, not games consoles), and those fans still love the machines today. Indeed, my only reason for selling was simply that I don't have the room to keep the machines set up.

They were the first company to develop custom sound and graphics chips for their computers, and this meant that their systems were always streets ahead of the competition. Although for some strange reason the Spectrum was hugely popular, the C64 beat it hands-down in almost every area. Sound was far, far superior, as were the graphics (sprites, no colour clash) - and Commodore's tape system was just streets ahead; no messing with volume controls or listening to that grating binary when you were loading a game. The same applied to the Commodore and Spectrum 128 machines.

Then we moved into the Amiga era, and quite simply, the bell tolled for the opposition. Atari tried to muscle in, with the ST launching slightly before the original Amiga systems. But once Amiga landed, it was game over.

With proper multi-tasking Motorola CPUs, a beautifully designed operating system (far better than the equivalent Windows of the time), AutoConfig for peripherals (Plug n Play that worked properly, over a decade before Mr. Gates even thought of it), and the ability to display graphics in a range of colours that PCs couldn't even dream of, the Amiga was an instant hit with practically everyone.

With CDTV (an Amiga 500 in a black VCR-style case), they were the first company to launch a machine with a built-in CD-ROM drive. Designed to sit under and connect to any TV, and supplied with an infra-red remote control, as well as all the standard connections of an Amiga computer, with this machine they beat even Sony to the idea of a complete home-entertainment system.

Sadly, at £599.99, the machine was over-priced, and was to bring about the beginning of the end for Commodore as a company. Soon after, they would sell their PC division to German company Escom (who also later went broke), and set about developing the Amiga CD32.

Where the CDTV had been based on the 16-bit Amiga 500 series, the CD32 was based on the 128-bit Amiga 1200 series, and presented the world with two 'firsts'. It was both the worlds first 32-bit dedicated console system, and the first to be based on CD-ROM.

Sadly, with Commodore already on the slide and piracy spiralling, the CD32 got little support, and its life was short-lived. A shame, because it - and Commodore - deserved far more.

Commodore's problem was that they were a little too far ahead of the game - breaking new ground too early. They missed the gaming explosion.

Just a year or so after the demise of CD32 and Commodore, Sony would launch the PlayStation - a 32-bit, CD-based system which would take the world by storm.

So, to get back to my original question: if Commodore hadn't gone bust, what status would they have achieved by now?

Had they continued to develop at a pace comparable to the PC and/or games markets, I think we'd be seeing some pretty outstanding products on the shelves now. Who knows, maybe they'd be the market leaders instead of Sony.

Commodore PlayStation, anybody?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.