GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[FILM] Wall-E"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 31/07/08 at 15:36
"possibly impossible"
I try to be objective in my reviews, I really do, but Wall-E has me stumped. I admit that I had pre-conceptions about the quality of this film, it comes from a great pedigree of Pixar movies (yes, even Cars) but their new movie is just way beyond any of these in terms of story, character and plain sweetness.

The story itself is based on an Earth that has seen mass pollution and waste hit an all-time high. As a result, all the humans have decided to take star-ship cruises and have left the Wall-E droids to clean up the mess. As we enter the story, Wall-E is the only one left, fixing himself, cleaning up the mountains of rubbish and generally developing feelings and emotions, including loneliness.

It’s only when a strange ship arrives, bringing a new robot, called Eve, that Wall-E finds hope and encouragement. But the story has many twists and turns which will keep you glued to the screen. Ok, so some of them are pretty easy to work out for adults, but children won’t get it until the last minute, and this is supposed to be a family film, after all.

Except that Wall-E reaches out to everyone, kids and adults alike. In a way it is Pixar’s Bambi; certainly sharing some emotional similarity (yes, you will have tears in your eyes, so bring the tissues) and certainly the instant classic status it deserves. The fact that there is so little dialogue in the movie, yet it feels so powerful, is even more of an accomplishment. When we do get characters who speak, it is always using just enough words to convey the story, never any lengthy dialogue, which means that even younger kids can enjoy the story.

The graphic art is breathtaking, from the tiniest piece of rubbish to the giant dust-storms and the space scenes. Every scene is lovingly created and every character detailed. While human characters may suffer from the round CGI effect (similar to The Incredibles), they’re somehow all the more human for not having been made too life-like.

Wall-E is Pixar’s crowning glory (so far), it contains so much of what they are about that you almost forget they’re part of a global corporation. This has to be contender for movie of the year, it’s the complete opposite of Dark Knight in tone and method, but somehow matches it for sheer brilliance. Watch it as soon as you can.

10/10
Thu 07/08/08 at 20:42
Regular
"What's basketball?"
I went to see this movie today with my dad and my brother. It's not bad actually.

My dad wasn't too thrilled. But then again, he did laugh when Bambi's mother was shot...
Wed 06/08/08 at 13:30
Regular
"I like turtles"
Congrats on the GAD mate.I was supposed to be taking the family to see this tomorrow but just found out were going to watch Batman again.Still hope to catch it while its on.
Thu 31/07/08 at 15:36
"possibly impossible"
I try to be objective in my reviews, I really do, but Wall-E has me stumped. I admit that I had pre-conceptions about the quality of this film, it comes from a great pedigree of Pixar movies (yes, even Cars) but their new movie is just way beyond any of these in terms of story, character and plain sweetness.

The story itself is based on an Earth that has seen mass pollution and waste hit an all-time high. As a result, all the humans have decided to take star-ship cruises and have left the Wall-E droids to clean up the mess. As we enter the story, Wall-E is the only one left, fixing himself, cleaning up the mountains of rubbish and generally developing feelings and emotions, including loneliness.

It’s only when a strange ship arrives, bringing a new robot, called Eve, that Wall-E finds hope and encouragement. But the story has many twists and turns which will keep you glued to the screen. Ok, so some of them are pretty easy to work out for adults, but children won’t get it until the last minute, and this is supposed to be a family film, after all.

Except that Wall-E reaches out to everyone, kids and adults alike. In a way it is Pixar’s Bambi; certainly sharing some emotional similarity (yes, you will have tears in your eyes, so bring the tissues) and certainly the instant classic status it deserves. The fact that there is so little dialogue in the movie, yet it feels so powerful, is even more of an accomplishment. When we do get characters who speak, it is always using just enough words to convey the story, never any lengthy dialogue, which means that even younger kids can enjoy the story.

The graphic art is breathtaking, from the tiniest piece of rubbish to the giant dust-storms and the space scenes. Every scene is lovingly created and every character detailed. While human characters may suffer from the round CGI effect (similar to The Incredibles), they’re somehow all the more human for not having been made too life-like.

Wall-E is Pixar’s crowning glory (so far), it contains so much of what they are about that you almost forget they’re part of a global corporation. This has to be contender for movie of the year, it’s the complete opposite of Dark Knight in tone and method, but somehow matches it for sheer brilliance. Watch it as soon as you can.

10/10

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.