GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Games are evolving so quick..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 25/10/05 at 22:07
Regular
"You have a choice"
It's weird...it seems like only yesterday I was being introduced to this new game that was out. It was one of the best ever made, "I've never seen anything like it" my mate said.

"Wow," i replied, "what's it called?"

"Final Fantasy Seven." he said.

that was 1997, on the still-quite-new PSone... are these games already retro!?!

How long will it be before MGS3 and GTA San Andreas are..retro..?

I'm 16..yet i feel so old!
Thu 10/11/05 at 14:22
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Battlestorm did that a lot.

The funnything about that game was that you could always lose the game on the first level and then as you progressed, you could complete the game no matter how many times you died. It used to be great - I guess 6-year-olds are easily pleased.
Thu 10/11/05 at 14:16
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
I remember with the Amiga the games came on like 3-4 disks and you had to keep swapping them over all the time to progress the game. Nowadays you'd probably gert 1000 Amiga games on a single CD which shows how far gaming has come in the last 15 years.

Was annoying as well, especially when it crashed as you were changing them over!
Thu 10/11/05 at 14:13
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
It is strange. I guess I miss the start-up on the playstation, waiting 3 days for the Amiga to start and the horrible bleeping of the Atari. No, forget the last one. My great-uncle has one and gets me to play it every time I go around. I've convinced him now to let me take my xbox round.

I really miss the PS though. Maybe I'll start it up again later.
Thu 10/11/05 at 14:09
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
Word Life wrote:
> those where the days when
> you could go and make your dinner and still come back to it loading
> and the tape screeching away. Now thats retro for you.

Ah the old screeching of the C64 and Spectrum - I hated them at the time but when I think back it brings a tear to my eye!

My first gaming experiences came in the mid 80's with Track and Field, Chuckie Egg, Frogger and Space Invaders before moving onto the early 90's classics such as Street Fighter 2, Double Dragon and Toki before the first 3D games came in like Daytona USA.

As I've gotten older my interest has declined a bit but I don't think it will ever go away and I still enjoy Football Manager 2005, GTA series and FF series.
Sun 30/10/05 at 08:38
Regular
"Woo Hoo!"
The first game i ever played i think was either space hawks or electro freddy on the Amstrad, still got it as well, those where the days when you could go and make your dinner and still come back to it loading and the tape screeching away. Now thats retro for you.
Sun 30/10/05 at 07:54
Regular
The first game I played on was Star Wing when I was about 4 or 5. Great game.
Sun 30/10/05 at 01:40
Regular
"8==="
I find it hard to think of anything that's "fully 3D" as retro.

So pretty much any 3D game for the N64 and upwards isn't retro as far as I'm concerned.
Sun 30/10/05 at 01:30
Regular
"you've got a beard"
Lukeman - would that have made you 8 when that story was set? :D

first game i played was "frogger" on the spectrum at a friends place when i was about 6.
first game of my own was "Batman-the caped crusader" on the Commodeore 64 when i got one for christmas in 1988 :)
Sat 29/10/05 at 16:25
Regular
"In Soviet Russia..."
Heh heh.

I remember spending many an hour trying to get the right channel... Good times.
Tue 25/10/05 at 22:20
Regular
The games may not be that old, when you compare them to other things that age at a far greater rate, but, any game that was nearly two consoles ago is going to be considered "retro", in the same way that things on the SuperNintendo now are.

For me it seems like a long time ago that I started playing my first game. As far as I can remember the first time I played a game was Goldeneye, on Christmas day 1998. I remember the admiration and feeling of playing it after spending hours setting up the tv, and finding the right channel.

After that I played Crash Bandicoot and a Zelda-esque game on the Amega when I was about nine, at someone's New Year's Eve party. Then I progressed onto the Gameboy at about the age of ten.

Anywhom ... it's not surprising that games like that are considered a little "yesterday", yet they still retain their fun value and are available in relatively widespread supply. A really retro game is something like Metal Slug, coin-operated.

Yep, those were the days...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.