GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Please help my computer is a bas..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 25/10/05 at 22:50
Regular
"It's so,so cold"
Right let me explain. A little while ago my brother decided to get DC++ and this ran fine..for a bit. It started to mess up my computer and so I uninstalled it and then my problem began. By doing this I somehow managed to get rid of my internet connection. Before this I could play The Battle for Middle Earth online without any problems. I managed to fix the connection and could go online on the internet and even though it messes up MSN. But I can't go on Battle for Middle Earth(BFME).It says that either it can't establish a connection or it goes and tries to go to the screen where you login. It takes about a minute to get there and when I try to login it says there is a login timeout.

I then reinstalled BFME..didn't work.
I then reinstalled the internet...didn't work
I then reinstalled BFME..again..didn't work

Same problem with the game.

Everytime I turn on my computer it comes up with some Windows error screen which says something about firewalls and asks if I want to send an error report.Also some website called Zango opens and it asks if I want to install it or something but because it is something I don't recognize I don't install it.

I have no idea what to do so I would really like it if you good people would help me.

I have also gone on the EA website and done what it recommends but the game still doesn't work.
Tue 25/10/05 at 22:50
Regular
"It's so,so cold"
Right let me explain. A little while ago my brother decided to get DC++ and this ran fine..for a bit. It started to mess up my computer and so I uninstalled it and then my problem began. By doing this I somehow managed to get rid of my internet connection. Before this I could play The Battle for Middle Earth online without any problems. I managed to fix the connection and could go online on the internet and even though it messes up MSN. But I can't go on Battle for Middle Earth(BFME).It says that either it can't establish a connection or it goes and tries to go to the screen where you login. It takes about a minute to get there and when I try to login it says there is a login timeout.

I then reinstalled BFME..didn't work.
I then reinstalled the internet...didn't work
I then reinstalled BFME..again..didn't work

Same problem with the game.

Everytime I turn on my computer it comes up with some Windows error screen which says something about firewalls and asks if I want to send an error report.Also some website called Zango opens and it asks if I want to install it or something but because it is something I don't recognize I don't install it.

I have no idea what to do so I would really like it if you good people would help me.

I have also gone on the EA website and done what it recommends but the game still doesn't work.
Tue 25/10/05 at 22:54
Regular
How do you 'reinstall the internet'?

Try getting your windows disk and reinstalling windows. Not a clean install, a repair or update install. If that doesn't work get some registry cleaning software such as Reg Mechanic and try that. If you can't use your PC to download this, you'll have to borrow the use of someone elses.

Sounds like it's quite well bollucksed up. Worst comes to the worst, save all the work you want to keep and fresh install windows.
Tue 25/10/05 at 23:07
Regular
"It's so,so cold"
ßora† §agdiyeV wrote:
> How do you 'reinstall the internet'?

Well you put the ticali broadband disk in and press the uninstall button then the install button.

Will try that soon.Cheers.
Tue 25/10/05 at 23:14
Regular
"8==="
If you have a security program/firewall installed you might need to tell it to let your game connect through it.

Perhaps when you reinstalled tiscali it put up a firewall that you had originally turned off because you had another one running already.
Tue 25/10/05 at 23:22
Regular
"It's so,so cold"
I am retarded at computers so could you tell me how to check because it says nothing about more firewalls in the bottom right corner of the screen.

There is something called Yaplock IM encryption and I don't think that was there before.What is that?
Tue 25/10/05 at 23:34
Regular
"8==="
Don't know.

Might be an idea to get AVG free and Adaware from download.com just incase your computer's contracted something nasty.

I'm not going to advise you to tunr your tiscali firewall off (if there is one) without knowing there's another one protecting your comp: running without any firewall's bad.

Otherwise I'd advise checking the EA/IGN/Gamespot forums about your game to see if anyone's having similar troubles.

Also use a search engine to see if anyone else has had trouble getting their games working over tiscali and see what they did to remedy it.
Tue 25/10/05 at 23:46
Regular
"It's so,so cold"
1.I use adaware and get rid of any crap every day.

2.My mate had the same problem and he fixed it but when I did the same as him it still messed up.
Tue 25/10/05 at 23:58
Regular
"It's so,so cold"
Now my comp keeps on going to search engines when I type in a website or try to access a page on the internet.It took me ages to get this far.
Wed 26/10/05 at 00:00
Regular
"8==="
Update Adaware and run it.

Get AVG free and run it.

Adaware won't stop everything on it's own.
Wed 26/10/05 at 00:19
Regular
"Captain to you."
Spybot search and destroy.

ask your brother where he downloaded DC++ from please.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.