GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Shenmue is simply out of this world."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 30/11/00 at 21:49
Regular
Shenmue is in another dimension - literally. I have to thank SR for sending it to me, as I found it outside my house at 6.00pm today hidden behind a fence! (The game was too big to put through my letterbox)

I must admit that Shenmue is amazing. For the last 2 hours I've been taken into a whole new world, a Japanese world (set 14years ago) with some awful American voice-overs, but I love it. It's like a whole new life, well almost!

I wasn't expecting this, I truly wasn't, and I am absolutely awe-inspired. Nothing I have seen can compare to such a 'game', but it really didn't feel like a game to play! As you may well have heard people say - Shenmue is an experience, and an incredibly absorbing one at that.

I found myself drawn into the environment I actually thought for a split second that I was actually in the game. Sonic - move over, a new spiky haired chum is in town and his name is Ryo-san, and he's out for revenge (as a dragon robed chap just killed his dad.

I've only been 'playing' for a couple of hours, and already I've witnessed a sun-setting, I've bought far too many mini plastic egg toys contain all sorts of things (including Bark and Bean from Fighters Megamix/Sonic Fighters!), but Ryo said he loved them, and told himself to keep on buying more!

I've had a Jet Soda to drink, and have mastered 4 new fighting moves in a local park! The old woman that lives with me (is she my…I mean Ryo's mum?) has already threatened to scorn me if I am reckless, and I've talked with a drunken Japanese bloke, been asked by about 10 little kids to play Baseball with them (did this sort of thing happen in Japan 14 years ago?), and I've fed a kitten (which is stuck in a box) some dried fish!

I simply could not believe how graphically amazing the game is. The texture mapping is fantastic, and the frame rate at 60hz is superb. The only faults that I have found so far, and I'm only on day 1, is that the control system will take a while to get used to (you can't jump, and the D-Pad is the only pad you can use) and the fact that some Japanese women have been assigned the most appalling American voiceovers.

I'll have to return back to the world of shenmue soon, but I'm glad that I can pause this world, and continue in my own, as I really need to catch up with a few things.

Shenmue is the work of Yu Suzuki and his team, and is spread out over 4 discs! I urge you to get this ‘game’ I was lucky enough to win it, so thanks to Ali and the team at SR!
Thu 30/11/00 at 21:49
Shenmue is in another dimension - literally. I have to thank SR for sending it to me, as I found it outside my house at 6.00pm today hidden behind a fence! (The game was too big to put through my letterbox)

I must admit that Shenmue is amazing. For the last 2 hours I've been taken into a whole new world, a Japanese world (set 14years ago) with some awful American voice-overs, but I love it. It's like a whole new life, well almost!

I wasn't expecting this, I truly wasn't, and I am absolutely awe-inspired. Nothing I have seen can compare to such a 'game', but it really didn't feel like a game to play! As you may well have heard people say - Shenmue is an experience, and an incredibly absorbing one at that.

I found myself drawn into the environment I actually thought for a split second that I was actually in the game. Sonic - move over, a new spiky haired chum is in town and his name is Ryo-san, and he's out for revenge (as a dragon robed chap just killed his dad.

I've only been 'playing' for a couple of hours, and already I've witnessed a sun-setting, I've bought far too many mini plastic egg toys contain all sorts of things (including Bark and Bean from Fighters Megamix/Sonic Fighters!), but Ryo said he loved them, and told himself to keep on buying more!

I've had a Jet Soda to drink, and have mastered 4 new fighting moves in a local park! The old woman that lives with me (is she my…I mean Ryo's mum?) has already threatened to scorn me if I am reckless, and I've talked with a drunken Japanese bloke, been asked by about 10 little kids to play Baseball with them (did this sort of thing happen in Japan 14 years ago?), and I've fed a kitten (which is stuck in a box) some dried fish!

I simply could not believe how graphically amazing the game is. The texture mapping is fantastic, and the frame rate at 60hz is superb. The only faults that I have found so far, and I'm only on day 1, is that the control system will take a while to get used to (you can't jump, and the D-Pad is the only pad you can use) and the fact that some Japanese women have been assigned the most appalling American voiceovers.

I'll have to return back to the world of shenmue soon, but I'm glad that I can pause this world, and continue in my own, as I really need to catch up with a few things.

Shenmue is the work of Yu Suzuki and his team, and is spread out over 4 discs! I urge you to get this ‘game’ I was lucky enough to win it, so thanks to Ali and the team at SR!
Thu 30/11/00 at 21:52
Regular
Please stop it with the SheMue talk!
It wasn't well advertised, was it, for most people to know about it.
Thu 30/11/00 at 22:04
'It wasn't well advertised, was it, for most people to know about it'

I think you are confused, or perhaps unaware of the situation. Shenmue is RELEASED tomorrow officially, however it was on sale at the start of the week, just like MSR and Virtua tennis arrived early without warning! So it will be advertised, it is the most important game in Sega's history, and in the hhistory of videogames full stop. Everyone in the Dreamcast community is aware of the game, as it has been the most hotly anticipated game since its European announcement.

I hope this sorted things out,
Cheers
Thu 30/11/00 at 22:17
"High polygon count"
May I congratulate you, dan584, on creating what I believe to be a piece of history - on this forum at least!

You have provided a thorough, complete, and interesting review of a Dreamcast game, without resorting to ANY petty comments about other formats - particularly the usual "better than any PS2 game" nonsense.

We need more of this on these forums, from users/supporters of all formats.
Thu 30/11/00 at 22:18
Regular
Reviews should be done in the review site really!
Thu 30/11/00 at 22:25
This isn't a review as such as i have only just got the game! It's merely an initial insight of my first impressions if Shenmue. Make no mistake, time permitting I shall be writing an extensive and informative review of Shenmue when I feel I have progressed enough and am aware of the game more.

thanks for your comments by the way, they were very supportive.
Thu 30/11/00 at 22:27
Regular
I reckon your review has a chance dan, remember people this is not a review forum!
Thu 30/11/00 at 22:31
It is around 550 words, so it will not fit in a review space, besides it isn't really a review!
Thu 30/11/00 at 22:32
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
Review space IS being increased (soon)
Thu 30/11/00 at 22:33
Regular
Do you people think this is a reviewing forum?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.