GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Crime and Punishment"

The "Creative Writing" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 13/10/02 at 10:16
Regular
No, this is not about the book of the same title.

Recently, in Sydney, a man (of Lebanese origin, the importance of which will become apparent) was convicted of being the leader of a gang that performed several gang rapes. Said rapes were allegedly racially motivated - gang was Lebanese (or had people of Lebanese descent only), and they targeted "white" women only. This has got a lot of debate going in Australia about whether the Police should be allowed to use racial profiling when investigating these cases.

Anyway, back to the case. Sentence was 55 years, with a non-parole period of 40 years. This has caused a bit of interest - various members of the legal community have complained that the sentence is too harsh, community (at least those that write letters to newspapers and get on talkback radio) think its about fair.

Two questions. Was this sentence fair? Crime was premeditated gang rape, 3 offences thereof.

Second, should the police be allowed to use racial profiling when investigating these cases? Lot of complaints earlier this year when the police released descriptions of suspects "of Lebanese origin". While this can lead to racism, it can also speed up the case. Which way do you lean?

If you take 40 years (as can be considered parole) he is sentanced to 13 years (approx) for each rape. would be slightly high if the full sentence is served, the 40 years sounds about right. Sounds a bit harsh compared to what other convicts get for even more serious offence, but judging by what the victims had to endure, I'd say the sentence was lenient. If he was a teenager, fine, but if he was 40 or something, you may as well let him out when hes 70 or summat - not like hes going to be interested in his previous activities after that long in prison. And racism accusations are entirely justified - its setting people apart due to thier race. It's just that it should probably be ignored to, since there is obviously little racial repression occuring. Race is too broad a brush in many cases, but where only a broad brush is needed, and its a very very specific race - fine. Likewise, circulating a description of a suspect without saying what colour skin he has, for example, is retarded. Or what colour hair, or eyes for that matter.

Incidentally, the man who got the 55 year sentence is 20. So, he won't be out until he is at least 60, and will definitely be out when he is 75.

A repeat rapist should be castrated. Very crudly. By a blind surgeon. With garden shears. Rusty ones. Well, in my opinion. (Ok, the rusty garden shears is a bit much [sterile ones would be ok though, no really], but I do think repeat rapists should be castrated). To be honest, I feel that when it comes to rape, especially gang rape, it's the equivalent to murder. Although the person is still living, some people may be "shells" in trying to deal with the trauma, or even the stigma of being a rape victim. I don't know what it's like in Australia, but definitely in England there's a problem with rape victims coming forward, making their situation worse than it really is.

Discuss.
Flux.
Sat 14/12/02 at 22:54
Regular
"bWo > You"
How can anyone hate Gordon Brown? The only guy who doesn't want me to pay millions in fees at university..tsk.

*Wanders over to Life... forum in disgust*
Sat 30/11/02 at 11:31
LOSER Flux
Sun 13/10/02 at 17:11
Regular
"The flux capacitor!"
Sod it. Why the hell did I post here? Meant to post it in the other forum. Mods, I'm about to re-post it in Life, so feel free to delete this one at your leisure...or leave it, upping my word count dramatically - the choice is yours, kind people of Special Reserve.
Sun 13/10/02 at 10:25
Regular
"Festivus!"
I am in the middle, I don't know. Thats why I don't wanna become a politician. And because I hate gordon Brown.
Sun 13/10/02 at 10:16
Regular
"The flux capacitor!"
No, this is not about the book of the same title.

Recently, in Sydney, a man (of Lebanese origin, the importance of which will become apparent) was convicted of being the leader of a gang that performed several gang rapes. Said rapes were allegedly racially motivated - gang was Lebanese (or had people of Lebanese descent only), and they targeted "white" women only. This has got a lot of debate going in Australia about whether the Police should be allowed to use racial profiling when investigating these cases.

Anyway, back to the case. Sentence was 55 years, with a non-parole period of 40 years. This has caused a bit of interest - various members of the legal community have complained that the sentence is too harsh, community (at least those that write letters to newspapers and get on talkback radio) think its about fair.

Two questions. Was this sentence fair? Crime was premeditated gang rape, 3 offences thereof.

Second, should the police be allowed to use racial profiling when investigating these cases? Lot of complaints earlier this year when the police released descriptions of suspects "of Lebanese origin". While this can lead to racism, it can also speed up the case. Which way do you lean?

If you take 40 years (as can be considered parole) he is sentanced to 13 years (approx) for each rape. would be slightly high if the full sentence is served, the 40 years sounds about right. Sounds a bit harsh compared to what other convicts get for even more serious offence, but judging by what the victims had to endure, I'd say the sentence was lenient. If he was a teenager, fine, but if he was 40 or something, you may as well let him out when hes 70 or summat - not like hes going to be interested in his previous activities after that long in prison. And racism accusations are entirely justified - its setting people apart due to thier race. It's just that it should probably be ignored to, since there is obviously little racial repression occuring. Race is too broad a brush in many cases, but where only a broad brush is needed, and its a very very specific race - fine. Likewise, circulating a description of a suspect without saying what colour skin he has, for example, is retarded. Or what colour hair, or eyes for that matter.

Incidentally, the man who got the 55 year sentence is 20. So, he won't be out until he is at least 60, and will definitely be out when he is 75.

A repeat rapist should be castrated. Very crudly. By a blind surgeon. With garden shears. Rusty ones. Well, in my opinion. (Ok, the rusty garden shears is a bit much [sterile ones would be ok though, no really], but I do think repeat rapists should be castrated). To be honest, I feel that when it comes to rape, especially gang rape, it's the equivalent to murder. Although the person is still living, some people may be "shells" in trying to deal with the trauma, or even the stigma of being a rape victim. I don't know what it's like in Australia, but definitely in England there's a problem with rape victims coming forward, making their situation worse than it really is.

Discuss.
Flux.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.