GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Advertising."

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 11/10/02 at 13:09
Regular
Do you think those people at Microsoft Europe have heard of the word? I don't.

I watched The Matrix last night on telly, and in the breaks there were adverts for PS2 games and Mario Sunshine. Then it hit me. When was the last time you saw an advert on telly, or in the cinema, with ingame footage of an Xbox title?

Exactly.

Where are the adverts for Halo, PGR, Jet Set Radio, Amped, Blinx, F1 2002, Unreal Championship, Xbox Live, Crazy Taxi 3, ToeJam & Earl, Morrowind, Panzer Dragoon Orta?

Ok, some of those games aren't out now, but so what, they could just have a "Coming soon..." type advert.

People need to know what the Xbox is capable of. They need to see footage of it. And they need it now, in the run up to Christmas. If Xbox is to sell a satisfactory amount of units over the Christmas period, they need to advertise more. Pure and simple.

Most of the people who knew about Xbox and wanted one got one in the first few months of the consoles life, which is why sales started to slow after it had been out a while.

Microsoft have to make it seem essential to own an Xbox, like Sony have done with the PS2. PS2 is a bigger brand, so parents buying their kids a console this Christmas will get one of those, unless the kid asks specifically for an Xbox.

The only way the kid will know about Xbox, is by seeing adverts for it. So come on Microsoft, the wallet is deep enough, start advertising on telly over here, and watch the sales start to rise...
Sun 13/10/02 at 13:43
Regular
LOL, so it wasn't me going crazy! There was a banner about going "Neard" and then one about "women" as it rotated :D They were both to do with the Xbox but to be honest I only saw the giant Xbox sign and didn't bother to take much notice of anythnig else.
Sun 13/10/02 at 12:20
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
I was about to say about the banners too...

It's a crap method of advertising though, you need to show gameplay for a game to sell. The MArio Sunshine advert shows what the game is like and I find that it advertises the console more than a banner...

What did the banner say though?

Something about a nerd?
Sun 13/10/02 at 11:45
Regular
For those who watched the England game last night then you would see that 75% of the banners were rotating Xbox adds and to be honest thats the best way to promote a console. The PS2 was advertised all last season on ITV for the Champions League and the Xbox has a lot of banners at the EURO 2004 matches (including Scotlands as well).
Sun 13/10/02 at 11:14
Regular
I think that got banned aswell.

Damn daily mail readers.
Sun 13/10/02 at 10:37
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
And why don't they put that mosquito ad on anymore? That was one of the best ads I've ever seen, so much so I studied it for a media assignment.
Sun 13/10/02 at 02:02
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
MS europe skanked up with the marketing of xbox during the first stage of xbox's life, and it shows.

The champange add was good but getting it banned did them no favours. The halo, DOA3 were alrite but it was rare if you ever witnessed one. Remember how their was no escaping the PS2s "third palce" adverts during its launch, the same shoulda been with xbox. The halo advert was shown alot on sky, but not terestrial television.

Perhaps instead of price cuts the shoulda shown more adverts- but I suppose the fact that xbox hasn't really had any big games worth advertising since launch miht have something to do with it.

If MS doesn't have wall to wall Xbox live adds, unreal champ, splinter cell etc this christmas some ones gonna get a good assforkin'.
Fri 11/10/02 at 16:58
Regular
In America there are Xbox adverst on TV every 1 minute nearly! I have seen an Amped, Halo and Dead or Alive 3 advert over here but only once or twice. They invested £2 Billion in Marketing and advertisemtns so I suppose they have something in mind. Wait until near christmas and then you might see a few.
Fri 11/10/02 at 13:14
Regular
""to many dead hero""
they put a few on not alot but mostly in mags and papers
Fri 11/10/02 at 13:09
Regular
Do you think those people at Microsoft Europe have heard of the word? I don't.

I watched The Matrix last night on telly, and in the breaks there were adverts for PS2 games and Mario Sunshine. Then it hit me. When was the last time you saw an advert on telly, or in the cinema, with ingame footage of an Xbox title?

Exactly.

Where are the adverts for Halo, PGR, Jet Set Radio, Amped, Blinx, F1 2002, Unreal Championship, Xbox Live, Crazy Taxi 3, ToeJam & Earl, Morrowind, Panzer Dragoon Orta?

Ok, some of those games aren't out now, but so what, they could just have a "Coming soon..." type advert.

People need to know what the Xbox is capable of. They need to see footage of it. And they need it now, in the run up to Christmas. If Xbox is to sell a satisfactory amount of units over the Christmas period, they need to advertise more. Pure and simple.

Most of the people who knew about Xbox and wanted one got one in the first few months of the consoles life, which is why sales started to slow after it had been out a while.

Microsoft have to make it seem essential to own an Xbox, like Sony have done with the PS2. PS2 is a bigger brand, so parents buying their kids a console this Christmas will get one of those, unless the kid asks specifically for an Xbox.

The only way the kid will know about Xbox, is by seeing adverts for it. So come on Microsoft, the wallet is deep enough, start advertising on telly over here, and watch the sales start to rise...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.