GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Perfect Topic"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 11/10/02 at 12:25
Regular
As a gamer one of the main reasons I surf by this site is to read people's views on games due for release, read people's reviews of games already released, catch up on games industry gossip, or generally get ideas for other sites to surf to in order to glean more information on topics that interest me (e.g. PS3 technologies, development timescales, the latest engines, future hardware and so on).

More and more, though, I'm surfing by this site and reading stuff already written by someone else somewhere else sometime else. It's 'annoying'.

When I read a review, I want to see the writer's thoughts on the game, what they thought of it, why they liked or disliked it. I don't want to read what a staff writer at IGN, Gamespot, GameFAQs, Gamers.com, GamerWeb, GamePro.com, GameSpy.com, Digitiser, FuturePublishing, Paragon Publishing or Blue Peter thought about it. Because the chances are I've already seen that opinion.

What I want to see is YOUR opinion. I don't care if you don't think your opinion is good enough, or that you think others will laugh at it, or that you can't post it because your mates think differently, or that you don't think you can express it eloquently enough. The important thing is that it's YOUR opinion, because for all you know you could have been the first person out of 6 billion to actually have noticed something different, you're not just rehashing someone else's thoughts.

YOUR opinions are what help me decide which games to buy, which magazines to read, which console to get next, what type of ISP I should go for (ty for the Blueyonder one WookieeMonster, owe you one there), what type of GFX card I should upgrade to, what kind of cable is best between console and TV and so on. So they're important.

As for Future of Gaming Chat topics, it sometimes gets to the stage where I just give up and go over to the PS2 forum instead, because at least there I know most of the topics are on track and relevant. If there was a 'Move to Relevant Forum' button on my browser I could reduce the FOG chat to 50% of its current size.

I've been here over two years, I think I've seen every topic under the sun pass through the FOG forums, so most of the time I DO see the same old subjects being given new topics again. "Console Wars" topics pop up every week or so, "Top 10 Games Ever" is another popular one, "I've Seen All These Topics Before So I'm Going To Write About Soup/Goldfish" is yet another common theme. But the point here is, sometimes, just sometimes, someone comes up with something altogether new, or brings an interesting twist to a topic that has previously been chatted to death.

The important factor, though, is ORIGINALITY. I want to see YOUR opinion, not someone else's, and I don't care if you're posting under JAT, Newbie, Regular or Notable or even Staff status.

Sorry if this has been posted before.
Fri 11/10/02 at 12:25
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
As a gamer one of the main reasons I surf by this site is to read people's views on games due for release, read people's reviews of games already released, catch up on games industry gossip, or generally get ideas for other sites to surf to in order to glean more information on topics that interest me (e.g. PS3 technologies, development timescales, the latest engines, future hardware and so on).

More and more, though, I'm surfing by this site and reading stuff already written by someone else somewhere else sometime else. It's 'annoying'.

When I read a review, I want to see the writer's thoughts on the game, what they thought of it, why they liked or disliked it. I don't want to read what a staff writer at IGN, Gamespot, GameFAQs, Gamers.com, GamerWeb, GamePro.com, GameSpy.com, Digitiser, FuturePublishing, Paragon Publishing or Blue Peter thought about it. Because the chances are I've already seen that opinion.

What I want to see is YOUR opinion. I don't care if you don't think your opinion is good enough, or that you think others will laugh at it, or that you can't post it because your mates think differently, or that you don't think you can express it eloquently enough. The important thing is that it's YOUR opinion, because for all you know you could have been the first person out of 6 billion to actually have noticed something different, you're not just rehashing someone else's thoughts.

YOUR opinions are what help me decide which games to buy, which magazines to read, which console to get next, what type of ISP I should go for (ty for the Blueyonder one WookieeMonster, owe you one there), what type of GFX card I should upgrade to, what kind of cable is best between console and TV and so on. So they're important.

As for Future of Gaming Chat topics, it sometimes gets to the stage where I just give up and go over to the PS2 forum instead, because at least there I know most of the topics are on track and relevant. If there was a 'Move to Relevant Forum' button on my browser I could reduce the FOG chat to 50% of its current size.

I've been here over two years, I think I've seen every topic under the sun pass through the FOG forums, so most of the time I DO see the same old subjects being given new topics again. "Console Wars" topics pop up every week or so, "Top 10 Games Ever" is another popular one, "I've Seen All These Topics Before So I'm Going To Write About Soup/Goldfish" is yet another common theme. But the point here is, sometimes, just sometimes, someone comes up with something altogether new, or brings an interesting twist to a topic that has previously been chatted to death.

The important factor, though, is ORIGINALITY. I want to see YOUR opinion, not someone else's, and I don't care if you're posting under JAT, Newbie, Regular or Notable or even Staff status.

Sorry if this has been posted before.
Fri 11/10/02 at 12:30
Regular
""to many dead hero""
i have done two but there a bit short cos i didnt know what to say after what i wanted to say have a look if you want there twisted metal black and yes you guessed it halo and plz tell me what could make my reviews better
Fri 11/10/02 at 12:31
Regular
"\\"
*wipes tears away from face*
well said. that was beutifal

i'd like to start to this turning of a new leaf by saying...
that new mario game looks absolutely ********

ok i'm happy now and i hope you are

ps i know that was a useless peice of info but i felt like it
Fri 11/10/02 at 12:39
Regular
master chief hunter wrote:
> plz tell me what could make my reviews better

You could elaborate a bit more in your reviews. I thought your WWE Raw was straight to the point and pulled no punches, but your Twisted Metal Black review could have gone into more depth like describing the storyline, the control system, the graphics, the levels and so on.

Simplest way to see what a good review looks like is nip over to Gameaday.co.uk and click on the Gameaday Prize 2 Winner's List (for winning reviews) and read the winning reviews. You'll see that on the whole they're lengthy (usually over 2500 characters in each review), there's hardly any spelling errors (some people write the reviews in Notepad/Word first, spell check them, then paste them into the review window), and they usually end with the writer's opinion on why it's a good/bad game, and probably most important, WHY people should buy it.
Fri 11/10/02 at 12:40
Regular
"smile, it's free"
I actually wrote a review of NeverWinter Nights which slated it quite badly, unlike all the other glowing reports from every mag under the sun.

However, I made the mistake of assuming 4000 characters didn't include spaces. As it does, I'm 800 characters over the limit.

My first ever review may never see the light of day.
Fri 11/10/02 at 12:43
Regular
VenomByte wrote:
> I actually wrote a review of NeverWinter Nights which slated it quite
> badly, unlike all the other glowing reports from every mag under the
> sun.
>
> However, I made the mistake of assuming 4000 characters didn't include
> spaces. As it does, I'm 800 characters over the limit.
>
> My first ever review may never see the light of day.

Edit it a bit and post it, I'm dying to see a negative review of that game because so far I've only seen the glowing ones. No game is THAT perfect, and I've always thought there's a conspiracy going on to edit all negative reports from the internet.
Fri 11/10/02 at 12:44
Regular
When I review I've played I give my own personal opinion, what I think needs to be said about it.

If I'm posting about a game that I've NOT played, I have to rely on what other have written, so I'd tell you what Planet Gamecube, or whoever else has played, it thought.

Most of us can't be bothered to search through every single news website so noting the best bits on here can be beneficial at times.

BUT if I'm reviewing a game myself, I would give MY OWN opinion and views, having used it for myself and knowing what I thought about it.
Fri 11/10/02 at 12:46
Regular
"\\"
i would write another review and try and get a gad (which is unlikely) but i have played on no new games for ages...
unless, yes ive got it "buffy the vampire slayer"
Fri 11/10/02 at 12:55
Regular
Strafex wrote:
> If I'm posting about a game that I've NOT played, I have to rely on
> what other have written, so I'd tell you what Planet Gamecube, or
> whoever else has played, it thought.

When you post those ones on here can we have a sort of code, like starting the review with ** or ~~ so that I can skip those ones?
Fri 11/10/02 at 12:57
Regular
"\\"
FantasyMeister wrote:
> When you post those ones on here can we have a sort of code, like
> starting the review with ** or ~~ so that I can skip those ones?

great one. oh and if you read up to here i thought you was going to skip it?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.