GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Gaming: Your Most Anticipated"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 15/09/06 at 17:58
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
So, now we already have one 'next-gen' console out, and the release dates for both the competitors have been set. What are your most anticipated things in gaming at the moment? Is it an actual game, one of the new consoles, maybe even just an idea!

Personally, I'm very interested to try out a Wii and see what it's like first hand. Looking at the launch titles for it, there aren't loads that grab me, and I won't be picking one up anytime soon, but will hopefully have a few tries on a mates. Having said this, Metroid Prime 3 is sounding very good indeed after reading a preview on it, although it's not a launch title. The one thing I thought was missing from the original Metroid Prime was the feeling of the game being 'alive'. When going into Space Pirate research centers and suchlike, there wasn't much of a feeling of you 'interrupting' their usual routine, and it didn't seem as though they were living and working there, just awaiting your arrival so you could pump them full of... whatever Samus' gun shoots... MP3 sounds like it'll add some new depth with characters that are friendly as well as hostile, the preview I read talked of walking past windows on the ship you're on and witnessing huge ongoing battles between friendly and hostile ships. Sounds like the game won't feel quite as solitary as the original!

I can't say I'm very excited about the PS3. I've never been much of a Sony fan. I enjoyed some titles on the PSX, and have had a bash on the PS2 at times (most notably in sixth form, spending far too much time playing various incarnations of Tekken), but the PlayStation consoles have never grabbed me as something I must get, and the hefty price tag on the PS3 isn't going to encourage me.

To be honest though, the things I'm most looking forward to are various games for the Nintendo DS. Yoshi's Island for the SNES was a great, fun, varied and challenging 2D platformer, and a proper sequel is coming out for it on the DS. There was a pseudo-sequel on the N64, Yoshi's Story, although it was very short-lived and more based around getting high-scores on levels, something I'm not a particular fan of. But the prospect of a true sequel is very interesting and exciting to me for some reason. I'm not even looking back through rose-tinted glasses here, I played through the original again a year or two back and enjoyed the game loads, and it was still a challenge to get to the end!

I'm also looking forward to a couple of RPGs, most well known will be the remake of Final Fantasy 3, which has never had an English translation before, and the graphics have been re-done from the ground up so it looks pretty good too. There's also a quirky looking RPG coming soon called Contact, which sounds very intriguing, sounding like it could have some of the charm of games like Earthbound.

So, what things in gaming are you most excited about? Tell us about them and get the rest of us hyped!
Fri 15/09/06 at 18:24
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
I know in Japan they released a bunch of cool '2in1' GBA games, like both Advance Wars titles, Mother and Mother 2 (AKA Earthbound) and also the aforementioned FF1+2. I was tempted by the Mother pack (Mother 1 was never released outside Japan), but since it's a pretty quirky RPG, I figured I wouldn't be able to figure out what the hell was going on. I had trouble with stuff like French at school, something with a completely different alphabet is a bit out of my reach I think...
Fri 15/09/06 at 18:14
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
About 80% of the games do get translations and are released in North America at least so usually i'm fine however some of them (like for example Namco x Capcom) only get Japanese releases in which case i have to sit and play them with my kanji tables and japanese dictionary. Starting to get much better with recognising the different symbols
Fri 15/09/06 at 18:12
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Can you speak / read Japanese or do all these crazy RPGs you play get English trnaslations...?

One of my housemates got a GBA game with (I think) Final Fantasy 1 & 2 on it, it was only released in Japan though, and he was trying to learn... Not just to play the games, but he thought they'd be good practice. Or something.
Fri 15/09/06 at 18:03
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Only thing i was actually hyped for was Disgaea 2 which has already come out now and was as awesome as i expected, that shall do me for the next year or so.

The 2 consoles coming out don't interest me right now, Nintendo because there's nothing on it i like and Sony because of the inept launch and obvious price issues. Maybe in a year or two i will begin to look at it again and look at the games catalogues but for now i'm happy with my PS2 and 360
Fri 15/09/06 at 17:58
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
So, now we already have one 'next-gen' console out, and the release dates for both the competitors have been set. What are your most anticipated things in gaming at the moment? Is it an actual game, one of the new consoles, maybe even just an idea!

Personally, I'm very interested to try out a Wii and see what it's like first hand. Looking at the launch titles for it, there aren't loads that grab me, and I won't be picking one up anytime soon, but will hopefully have a few tries on a mates. Having said this, Metroid Prime 3 is sounding very good indeed after reading a preview on it, although it's not a launch title. The one thing I thought was missing from the original Metroid Prime was the feeling of the game being 'alive'. When going into Space Pirate research centers and suchlike, there wasn't much of a feeling of you 'interrupting' their usual routine, and it didn't seem as though they were living and working there, just awaiting your arrival so you could pump them full of... whatever Samus' gun shoots... MP3 sounds like it'll add some new depth with characters that are friendly as well as hostile, the preview I read talked of walking past windows on the ship you're on and witnessing huge ongoing battles between friendly and hostile ships. Sounds like the game won't feel quite as solitary as the original!

I can't say I'm very excited about the PS3. I've never been much of a Sony fan. I enjoyed some titles on the PSX, and have had a bash on the PS2 at times (most notably in sixth form, spending far too much time playing various incarnations of Tekken), but the PlayStation consoles have never grabbed me as something I must get, and the hefty price tag on the PS3 isn't going to encourage me.

To be honest though, the things I'm most looking forward to are various games for the Nintendo DS. Yoshi's Island for the SNES was a great, fun, varied and challenging 2D platformer, and a proper sequel is coming out for it on the DS. There was a pseudo-sequel on the N64, Yoshi's Story, although it was very short-lived and more based around getting high-scores on levels, something I'm not a particular fan of. But the prospect of a true sequel is very interesting and exciting to me for some reason. I'm not even looking back through rose-tinted glasses here, I played through the original again a year or two back and enjoyed the game loads, and it was still a challenge to get to the end!

I'm also looking forward to a couple of RPGs, most well known will be the remake of Final Fantasy 3, which has never had an English translation before, and the graphics have been re-done from the ground up so it looks pretty good too. There's also a quirky looking RPG coming soon called Contact, which sounds very intriguing, sounding like it could have some of the charm of games like Earthbound.

So, what things in gaming are you most excited about? Tell us about them and get the rest of us hyped!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.