GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"My GBA- R.I.P..."

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 10/10/02 at 20:28
Regular
A year ago, the Gameboy Advance had been released for a while and there pocket console was the perfect warm up for the Nintendo Gamecube with the lineup of software looking impressive. Mario Kart: Super circuit was out, the Tony hawks series was looking hot and many golden oldy super Mario games were being released for the handheld. People were realising just how powerful the little guy was, seeming to have no limits and although it was believed that the games were slightly over priced, the sales figures were impressive. As the games improved and more exciting, the hype around future handhelds was good- but I wasn’t that impressed with my GBA then or now.

I had a fair collection of titles, about eight or nine, plus I had played about 15 of my mates GBA games to death, all of which I considered to be the only decent titles on it. But I did feel that something was missing from the games I owned. Many platform games like Mario or Rayman were being released and still are, but I feel the depth from these games lack incredibly, and I knew then that this wasn’t the console for me. Luckily for me, Golden Sun was released, which squeezed all of the value I spent buying my Gameboy Advance. Now, the only games that I actually have a go on is Mario Kart, I have completed Golden Sun, sold many other titles and only plan tobuy Golden Sun: the Lost Age and Metroid Fushion.

So what went wrong with my view on the Gameboy Advance? Well for a start I can’t stand Super Mario games, I think those platformers are pathetic to but it bluntly, and if you want a good platform game with any depth, get a Wario land game, those things rule. Mario platformers seem to have extremely poor level design and the power ups (apart from the bunny ears) are really bad, whereas Wario has loads of cool pick ups plus funky levels. I do love Mario Sunshine, but otherwise his games made my list. (:)

Secondly, I mentioned earlier that the Gameboy Advance games were overpriced for what you are getting most of the time. If I had the best GBA title up against an ok Gamecube game, I would buy the Gamecube game because the money for the GBA games is too much for me to get both. Gamecube games are about £35, boasting the best graphics ever, but the 32-bit Gameboy Advance games are usually at least £29.99 and are no where near the quality to the Gamecube games, not just in graphics but the actual game (not GS though).

Well, if there was no GS sequel then my GBA would be on ebay so fast…

What do you guys think of your little GBA? Has it got enough killer titles to bring you or new buyers in with some more cash? Losing it’s appeal?
Discuss.

Cheers,

Time_Warpia (:)
Thu 10/10/02 at 20:28
A year ago, the Gameboy Advance had been released for a while and there pocket console was the perfect warm up for the Nintendo Gamecube with the lineup of software looking impressive. Mario Kart: Super circuit was out, the Tony hawks series was looking hot and many golden oldy super Mario games were being released for the handheld. People were realising just how powerful the little guy was, seeming to have no limits and although it was believed that the games were slightly over priced, the sales figures were impressive. As the games improved and more exciting, the hype around future handhelds was good- but I wasn’t that impressed with my GBA then or now.

I had a fair collection of titles, about eight or nine, plus I had played about 15 of my mates GBA games to death, all of which I considered to be the only decent titles on it. But I did feel that something was missing from the games I owned. Many platform games like Mario or Rayman were being released and still are, but I feel the depth from these games lack incredibly, and I knew then that this wasn’t the console for me. Luckily for me, Golden Sun was released, which squeezed all of the value I spent buying my Gameboy Advance. Now, the only games that I actually have a go on is Mario Kart, I have completed Golden Sun, sold many other titles and only plan tobuy Golden Sun: the Lost Age and Metroid Fushion.

So what went wrong with my view on the Gameboy Advance? Well for a start I can’t stand Super Mario games, I think those platformers are pathetic to but it bluntly, and if you want a good platform game with any depth, get a Wario land game, those things rule. Mario platformers seem to have extremely poor level design and the power ups (apart from the bunny ears) are really bad, whereas Wario has loads of cool pick ups plus funky levels. I do love Mario Sunshine, but otherwise his games made my list. (:)

Secondly, I mentioned earlier that the Gameboy Advance games were overpriced for what you are getting most of the time. If I had the best GBA title up against an ok Gamecube game, I would buy the Gamecube game because the money for the GBA games is too much for me to get both. Gamecube games are about £35, boasting the best graphics ever, but the 32-bit Gameboy Advance games are usually at least £29.99 and are no where near the quality to the Gamecube games, not just in graphics but the actual game (not GS though).

Well, if there was no GS sequel then my GBA would be on ebay so fast…

What do you guys think of your little GBA? Has it got enough killer titles to bring you or new buyers in with some more cash? Losing it’s appeal?
Discuss.

Cheers,

Time_Warpia (:)
Thu 10/10/02 at 20:33
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Sam, the GBA has many, many great titles that are out/ are coming out. There's no way i'd get rid of my GBA, especially as it has an afterburner installed. Still, it's your choice. Just remember, the GBA is increasing it's use all the time, especially with the GBA-GC link up ad the TV tuner etc.

:)
Thu 10/10/02 at 20:38
Microchips wrote:
> Sam, the GBA has many, many great titles that are out/ are coming out.
> There's no way i'd get rid of my GBA, especially as it has an
> afterburner installed.

Matter of opinion really, I cant see more than 5 games I would wanna get.

Still, it's your choice. Just remember, the
> GBA is increasing it's use all the time, especially with the GBA-GC
> link up ad the TV tuner etc.
>
> :)

I spose, but those things will not effect my opinion or choices at the end of the day. Now the Wavebird, thats an accessory...(:)
Thu 10/10/02 at 20:38
Regular
Nice post Sam.

I always thought that the GBA dies back when PC Emulation of the GBA was created. No one had to buy games anymore. Plus, with so many remakes there's no real reason to waste your money.

The only reason I've kept my GBA is for link-up titles like Animal Crossing and Fusion.
Fri 11/10/02 at 15:53
Regular
I know what you mean the games some how make them selfs bad...ill explain.

Advance wars is the best game to talk about.
Some mags said it was the reason to buy the GBA, i got it and first time it was amazing. But then becuase they couldnt add much more and it was short they made you go over the levels again and again only with harder enemys, the levels were the same and that got extrememly boring.

Theres about 12 games out/due to be released, that i want. Im keeping mine as i heard theres a price cut coming and also the link up mode. Dont think ill get any more pocket consoles unless they are cheap.

Also is golden sun the one that is like Final Fantasy games, or is it breathe of fire.
Fri 11/10/02 at 16:04
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Ive not played my GBA in months.

*GBA FOR SALE*

Any takers? Ah well.
Fri 11/10/02 at 16:07
Regular
I'm keeping mine for Golden Sun 2 and Metroid Fusion, and the GC link up of course.

I could get the games on emulator, I already get some, but I prefer actually playing on the console, especially in bed :)
Fri 11/10/02 at 16:14
Regular
"Long time no see!"
My sister has a GBA and I have enjoyed playing Mario Kart on it to death, and i've even enjoyed basically 'walking through' the original Super Mario Advance. Sadly, those are the only games I have played on that console to date. Why? Well, it's because I spend a lot more time on my GameCube, and also my Dreamcast, aswell as my N64 at times too.

I don't know if i'd buy more games for it if I had my own...
I might get one of these new ones that i've heard a lot about though.

The fact is that there are a lot of quality titles on the GameBoy Advance, yet with so-many of them the majority of us have played them to death all-of 10 years ago on the SNES.
But if you haven't played them before, then you MUST!

Games were a lot different back then, especially when compared with the likes of today's top-titles. And i'm thankfull that Nintendo have been re-releasing all those classic games on the GBA so we can all experience that 'different' style once again - and even for the first time in some cases.

I think it is essential for any gamer to know what games were really like back then!

I'm looking forward to the SEGA Smash Pack - if that is ever released over here. It'll apparently include MegaDrive classics like Golden Axe and Sonic Spinball, aswell as a few others. I used to love those games.
It's been set for a US release sometime, but so-far there's nothing for us over here... yet.

I could just dig-out some old consoles and play through these classics in their original forms. But that is actually a lot harder than it sounds when you have some next-generation consoles available.
Thankfully though, the GBA - as a next-gen. console - gives you the chance to play through those same games - but better - without having to search for them in your attic.
Fri 11/10/02 at 16:36
Regular
Whitestripes wrote:

> I could get the games on emulator, *I already get some*

How the hell you manage to change the convo from computer games to your private life?

Or is it bad grammer.
Fri 11/10/02 at 17:50
Regular
"what is knowledge ?"
im going to keep my old GBA and maybe get the new one , if it's any better that is , then again it will probably be the same only a different shape and maybe with a backlight aswell. Micro , if they do announce that it will have a light , and you want it , then id sell yours (like me) soon after they announce it before word gets round of a new GBA with a light , as ours wont be worth anywhere near as much if we sold them when the new one comes out :(

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.