GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Things they need to fix in PES2"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 09/10/02 at 18:17
Regular
Pro Evolution Soccer is the best football game ever. Anyone who says otherwise is wrong. The most realistic recreation, and the funnest to play, Konami's latest 'soccer' sim was brilliant.

Brilliant, but not faultless. There were a few things that I really hope they fix for Pro Evolution Soccer 2.

The Referees
In Pro Evo 1, you could get away with hacking down a player when he's through on goal, and get away scot free. Then your keeper could save the shot from the free kick, and boot it downfield. Your striker could lose the ball, and then barge into the back of a defender...and get a yellow card! It's this type of erratic behaviour that led to many a frustrated chucking of controller. In real life, the former would land you a straight red card, but when I'm chopped in half just before I round the keeper and stick the ball into an empty net, my opponent gets nothing but a light ticking off. In other games, the referees have been taught what constitues a straight red...Konami are a talented bunch, and I hope that when I get my copy the cards come out at the appropriate times.

The Fouls
Another thing that annoyed me was when I clearly took the ball, but still conceded a free kick. The collision detection in the game is normally excellent, the best I've ever seen in a sports game...but when it comes to the simple matter of getting the ball cleanly, surely it can't be that hard to let me reap the benefits of my well-timed sliding steal? Of course, I usually play as Arsenal so PES could be super realistic, and have officials that set out to book and/or send off Arsenal players for totally innocuous challenges...

Replays
God, I hate the replays in this game. First of all, the selection process is awful, with headed backpasses causing your goalie to dive extravagantly, leaving the disc to decide that it merits a spot in the first half highlights. Another thing is the short replays after shots and stuff, in game. Nine out of ten times the camera is so slow and clunky that the ball flies across the screen and over the bar whilst the main focus is still the striker's left shoulder.

Another thing is that these replays are almost ALWAYS at the wrong angle for the shot. If you've put the ball across the area and it's just missed the far post, you don't want to re-view it straight on to the goal - you want a sort of isometric view, not dissimilar to the normal in-game one. If you've got a corner, why do you want to be a mile away? You want to watch your man get up for the header. If you've hit the post from a free kick, you don't want to be watching from above the goal...the whole point is to SEE how close you got! Another thing that's inexcusable is the fact that there's no instant replay option in the pause menu. It's something I've wanted many a time, so I could record my great saves and audacious shots from the half-way line, even if I've missed.

Well, there you go. I'm not asking for world peace, or a cure for cancer...but guys, could you just fix them? Please? They really bug me, and I'm sure they really bug many others. Have you got any things from PES that really annoy you?
Wed 09/10/02 at 18:17
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
Pro Evolution Soccer is the best football game ever. Anyone who says otherwise is wrong. The most realistic recreation, and the funnest to play, Konami's latest 'soccer' sim was brilliant.

Brilliant, but not faultless. There were a few things that I really hope they fix for Pro Evolution Soccer 2.

The Referees
In Pro Evo 1, you could get away with hacking down a player when he's through on goal, and get away scot free. Then your keeper could save the shot from the free kick, and boot it downfield. Your striker could lose the ball, and then barge into the back of a defender...and get a yellow card! It's this type of erratic behaviour that led to many a frustrated chucking of controller. In real life, the former would land you a straight red card, but when I'm chopped in half just before I round the keeper and stick the ball into an empty net, my opponent gets nothing but a light ticking off. In other games, the referees have been taught what constitues a straight red...Konami are a talented bunch, and I hope that when I get my copy the cards come out at the appropriate times.

The Fouls
Another thing that annoyed me was when I clearly took the ball, but still conceded a free kick. The collision detection in the game is normally excellent, the best I've ever seen in a sports game...but when it comes to the simple matter of getting the ball cleanly, surely it can't be that hard to let me reap the benefits of my well-timed sliding steal? Of course, I usually play as Arsenal so PES could be super realistic, and have officials that set out to book and/or send off Arsenal players for totally innocuous challenges...

Replays
God, I hate the replays in this game. First of all, the selection process is awful, with headed backpasses causing your goalie to dive extravagantly, leaving the disc to decide that it merits a spot in the first half highlights. Another thing is the short replays after shots and stuff, in game. Nine out of ten times the camera is so slow and clunky that the ball flies across the screen and over the bar whilst the main focus is still the striker's left shoulder.

Another thing is that these replays are almost ALWAYS at the wrong angle for the shot. If you've put the ball across the area and it's just missed the far post, you don't want to re-view it straight on to the goal - you want a sort of isometric view, not dissimilar to the normal in-game one. If you've got a corner, why do you want to be a mile away? You want to watch your man get up for the header. If you've hit the post from a free kick, you don't want to be watching from above the goal...the whole point is to SEE how close you got! Another thing that's inexcusable is the fact that there's no instant replay option in the pause menu. It's something I've wanted many a time, so I could record my great saves and audacious shots from the half-way line, even if I've missed.

Well, there you go. I'm not asking for world peace, or a cure for cancer...but guys, could you just fix them? Please? They really bug me, and I'm sure they really bug many others. Have you got any things from PES that really annoy you?
Wed 09/10/02 at 18:39
Regular
"Hmmm....."
The camera angles are better in WE6.
Wed 09/10/02 at 18:42
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
I agree with almost everything put here.

The referees really get on my nerves, and you can't even see them while the game is playing, and only in the cutscenes when the players get booked or sent off. This still hasn't been fixed, I don't think. That isn't too good. Thankfully though you can now get cautions in PES2, and you aren't always destined for a booking of some sort, as was the case before.

The replays have been improved, it has been said. They are set in better angles, and if the ball is travelling too fast you'll still see it pass the screen fully, which couldn't been seen mostly in PES. There is apparently a whole 'new dimension' in the camera angles and replay system. I'm not too sure what this 'new dimension' quite is yet, but I hope it's an improvement on what the replays were like before.

Overall, PES2 is looking a lot better, and most of the things that were wrong before have been improved - this doesn't apply for everything though, and the game has still been labelled, 'with flaws'.

Still, it's meant to be a lot better than it's proceeder, which is a huge positive for me, and it's why I changed my GAD Prize from SmackDown 4 to Pro Evo 2.

PES2 will rock!
Wed 09/10/02 at 18:42
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
By the way, Blokey, do you have MSN? :-)
Wed 09/10/02 at 18:44
Regular
"Hmmm....."
AfroJoe wrote:
> Still, it's meant to be a lot better than it's proceeder, which is a
> huge positive for me, and it's why I changed my GAD Prize from
> SmackDown 4 to Pro Evo 2.

--------

You disgrace me!

SD4 will be much better than PES2.

WE6 sucks and thats basically the same thing.

You fool.
Wed 09/10/02 at 18:58
PES2 will be my first PES game... and I hope it lives up to its expectations...

Been waiting for this game for ages, but I think it will have to be a christmas list job, as I'm running out of money with GTA:VC and WWE:SD4...

Looking good though and I hope they fix the problems stated, the game should be ace then...

Why?
Wed 09/10/02 at 19:14
"High polygon count"
I solved all my PES grievances easily.

I bought TIF2003!

:-)

I don't think I'll be getting PES2 now.
Wed 09/10/02 at 19:14
Regular
"Hmmm....."
Good man!
Wed 09/10/02 at 19:44
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
TIF2003 < PES1, let alone PES2.

And Fro Jo, I'm on right now at [email protected]
Wed 09/10/02 at 19:49
"High polygon count"
El blokey wrote:
> TIF2003 < PES1, let alone PES2.

TIF2003 plays a respectable game. Not as good as Pro Evo, but perfectly good enough. And in terms of commentary, team and player names, TIF2003 far exceeds PES. Don't know about PES2, but from what I've read about the extremely dodgy names in PES2, I doubt I'll be bothering.

Konami have got the game engine pretty much nailed - now they need to turn their attention to presentation.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.