GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"GIF Ripping"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 08/10/02 at 08:48
Regular
I've gotten into this a fair bit of late, for those not in the know, it's the art of taking an animation from a videogame and creating an animated GIF from it. My interest got sparked in it via the "GIF Goodness" page at www.emusanet.com, and looking at their forums, there are a huge amount of seriously cool animated images. One guy is even adept at making ones from N64 games, so I gave that a try yesterday, and successfully managed to make an animation of Mario. Which I'm more than slightly chuffed with. ;)

I've uploaded all the ones I've done to my old GTA3 screenshots page (now merely storage space), and anyone who wishes to use them is welcome to, provided they download the files then upload to their own webspace (Tripod doesn't do image linking).

They're all up at http://lovemediarooftoppics.tripod.com /GIFs/index.html

I wouldn't mind seeing a few other peoples' attempts (easy enough to do with ZSNES / Genecyst etc. I can link to a tutorial page if anyone wants to have a go but isn't sure how), or even a few suggestions for sprites in certain games that might make nifty GIFs would be welcome.
Tue 08/10/02 at 08:48
"Stupid Newbie :D"
I've gotten into this a fair bit of late, for those not in the know, it's the art of taking an animation from a videogame and creating an animated GIF from it. My interest got sparked in it via the "GIF Goodness" page at www.emusanet.com, and looking at their forums, there are a huge amount of seriously cool animated images. One guy is even adept at making ones from N64 games, so I gave that a try yesterday, and successfully managed to make an animation of Mario. Which I'm more than slightly chuffed with. ;)

I've uploaded all the ones I've done to my old GTA3 screenshots page (now merely storage space), and anyone who wishes to use them is welcome to, provided they download the files then upload to their own webspace (Tripod doesn't do image linking).

They're all up at http://lovemediarooftoppics.tripod.com /GIFs/index.html

I wouldn't mind seeing a few other peoples' attempts (easy enough to do with ZSNES / Genecyst etc. I can link to a tutorial page if anyone wants to have a go but isn't sure how), or even a few suggestions for sprites in certain games that might make nifty GIFs would be welcome.
Tue 08/10/02 at 09:16
Regular
"..."
Nice, the Superman one rocks
Tue 08/10/02 at 09:52
Regular
"Not your monkey"
Mario is impressive.

The others are cool too, but Mario is very impressive
Tue 08/10/02 at 10:01
I like the Wolverine one.

Wolverine always rocks.
Tue 08/10/02 at 10:32
"Stupid Newbie :D"
Cheers. :)
You know, I'd really like to make one of a more recent console than the N64. Gamecube, PS2, X-Box etc. But I've got no way to actually get the screen captures required, or any knowledge of what I'd need for that matter... always wondered how magazines etc. get their game footage. I know you used to be able to make screen captures on the PS1 using the Action Replay cart, but have no idea since.

If someone who knows how wants to grab a sequence of images from an animation in something like Mario Sunshine (make sure he's standing next to a very contrasting background, and the camera stays put), then upload them for me, I'll try my hand at making an animation from that.
Tue 08/10/02 at 10:48
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Tetchy wrote:
> I like the Wolverine one.
>
> Wolverine always rocks.

Wolverine is a moody b'stard... he has razer sharp adamantium claws, adamantium bones, he can heal completly from pretty much any/all wounds, has a ludicrously extended lifespan...

You'd think with all that going for him he'd cheer up just a little bit?

And get himself a half decent hair-cut... he's sported the same 'big-hair' since the sixties!?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.