GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Shocking News!!!"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 29/11/00 at 19:30
Regular
I know im a bit late, but i hear that the DVD images will only be in green???? So does that mean if I wanna watch the Matrix they will have green faces etc? If so the Simpsons won't be no good!

I am not at all happy with sony, as this is why the PS2 is £300. If it didn't include DVD im sure it would be about £200. I'm not saying it was a bad idea to include a DVd player, as long as it works!

Are sony conning us into paying more money than we should?

Also, can someone explain (very simpley) about this "olny playing green images story please"

Thankyou.
Sun 03/12/00 at 01:14
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
Damo wrote:
>Also, it didnt happen with US
> and Japanese PS2's why us?

Thats what I want to know. Still, maybe their are problems with USA DVD playback.

Has anyone heard of trouble with USA DVD's then?
Fri 01/12/00 at 15:10
apparently they were too lazy to put in the copy protection, so may well have cut the board instead!
Fri 01/12/00 at 14:59
On some TV's this can be a problem as not all TV's support RGB and svideo on all scart sockets.

i have a Toshiba 43PJ93 rear projection tv where scart 1 only supports RGB and composite, so if i want svideo i have to use scart 2 or 3 which support only svideo and composite.

which means i get the green screen when playing dvd's

thankfully i have a dedicated dvd player and use that to watch dvds through svideo so it doesn't rearly affect me.

so if your getting a green picture, you could try using a different scart input

Why sony have done this is beyond me... most regular dvd players have RGB output anyway, why they want to make a special case of the ps2 is very strange.

mark
Fri 01/12/00 at 00:04
Also, the DVD playback will be fine if you play it through the TV directly, other than if you play it throught a video- thats because of the anti-piracy thing. Also, it didnt happen with US and Japanese PS2's why us?
Thu 30/11/00 at 23:45
Regular
"Top Gun"
Bulldog wrote:
> Thankyou latino heat!
>
> I can put my mind at rest now =P
>
> What games do you have for your PS2?

I have timesplitters, Tekken Tag and Silent Scope.
Thu 30/11/00 at 07:46
The situation with the DVD is this. If you're happy to put up with the supplied composite video lead, DVDs and games will play fine, but not at the best available picture quality, and many people (fussy ones like me) are not happy with the composite picture; I might as well be using VHS!!!

to get the best picture quality you need to use an RGB SCART CABLE. However when you use this, the DVD signal goes green.

Alledgedly this is an anti-DVD-piracy measure by Sony; so to summarize:

Nobody has a broken TV or lead if they're getting green DVDs, they're just using what should be the best available lead, the RGB, which sony have decided NOT to support for DVD playback.

I guess many people will be trying to get hold of the Sony S-video lead, which should give almost as sharp a picture as RGB, and is still DVD-compatible.

If you read the manual that came with your PS2, it shows the RGB lead as the Euro-A/V cable, with a note saying it's not compatible with DVD.

For more history on this topic see "DVD TROUBLE" in this forum.
Thu 30/11/00 at 07:45
The situation with the DVD is this. If you're happy to put up with the supplied composite video lead, DVDs and games will play fine, but not at the best available picture quality, and many people (fussy ones like me) are not happy with the composite picture; I might as well be using VHS!!!

to get the best picture quality you need to use an RGB SCART CABLE. However when you use this, the DVD signal goes green.

Alledgedly this is an anti-DVD-piracy measure by Sony; so to summarize:

Nobody has a broken TV or lead if they're getting green DVDs, they're just using what should be the best available lead, the RGB, which sony have decided NOT to support for DVD playback.

I guess many people will be trying to get hold of the Sony S-video lead, which should give almost as sharp a picture as RGB, and is still DVD-compatible.

If you read the manual that came with your PS2, it shows the RGB lead as the Euro-A/V cable, with a note saying it's not compatible with DVD.

For more history on this topic see "DVD TROUBLE" in this forum.
Wed 29/11/00 at 20:28
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
Thankyou latino heat!

I can put my mind at rest now =P

What games do you have for your PS2?
Wed 29/11/00 at 20:26
Regular
"Top Gun"
some people are saying there iimages are green when viewing DVD's Mine is Perfect so either there TV's arent much cop or there lead is broken.
Wed 29/11/00 at 19:30
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
I know im a bit late, but i hear that the DVD images will only be in green???? So does that mean if I wanna watch the Matrix they will have green faces etc? If so the Simpsons won't be no good!

I am not at all happy with sony, as this is why the PS2 is £300. If it didn't include DVD im sure it would be about £200. I'm not saying it was a bad idea to include a DVd player, as long as it works!

Are sony conning us into paying more money than we should?

Also, can someone explain (very simpley) about this "olny playing green images story please"

Thankyou.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.