GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What makes a man?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 07/10/02 at 20:16
Regular
In the past a boy became a man through some sort of right of passage of some sort whether it be the first time he went hunting alone or when he got married. But over the years these traditions have faded away and died out so that only religious ceremonies are left, or so it would seem. There are obviously legal ages that give you more power over your life such as the age limit for drinking but can you honestly say that at a certain age all boys are mature enough to be called a man.

Gaming is one of the most childish things you could possibly do in some people’s eyes and it is perfectly acceptable in others. When you look at what console and PC games are you are faced with multiple story lines and styles of games. Some people would look at the smiley Mario running along a beach squirting little monsters and think that it is very childish but others wouldn't even look at the graphics and would only look at the complexity of the storyline and the challenges to see it's mature nature.

Music, another way of showing how mature a "man" is can be determined by what kind of music he listens to. If for example a man listened to S Club juniors when he was 37 many people would regard this as childish... but would you still call him a man?

TV and Movies are some of the final factors I will mention in this topic. Different TV shows and movies are obviously targeted at different audiences and age groups but were do you draw the line between child hood and adult hood. Eastenders and Coronation Street are two examples of soaps but although they are obviously more mature than say The Simpsons and Futurama it can be enjoyed by both age groups.

In the end it seems to me that your own personal interests determine the way people look at you and how other people perceive you. I for example play Badminton for my school team; go on the computer most nights and watch shows like The Simpsons and Friends even though I am 15. (On the second of November) This instantly gives an impression to the whole world that I am not very mature were as in if I said: -

" I work part time while revising for my GCSE's and playing Badminton for my local club."

Most people would say that I am far more mature and am much closer to man hood.

In conclusion I leave you with a decision to make for yourself. How do you judge who is a Man and who isn't? If a fireman saved some ones life then went home to watch cartoons would he be a man? He has shown tremendous courage but is that enough when he sits at home giggling over the newest episode of Bugs Bunny? Thank you for reading my post and I hope it has made you think about how you judge certain Men in modern society.
Mon 07/10/02 at 20:16
Regular
"Sex On Wheels"
In the past a boy became a man through some sort of right of passage of some sort whether it be the first time he went hunting alone or when he got married. But over the years these traditions have faded away and died out so that only religious ceremonies are left, or so it would seem. There are obviously legal ages that give you more power over your life such as the age limit for drinking but can you honestly say that at a certain age all boys are mature enough to be called a man.

Gaming is one of the most childish things you could possibly do in some people’s eyes and it is perfectly acceptable in others. When you look at what console and PC games are you are faced with multiple story lines and styles of games. Some people would look at the smiley Mario running along a beach squirting little monsters and think that it is very childish but others wouldn't even look at the graphics and would only look at the complexity of the storyline and the challenges to see it's mature nature.

Music, another way of showing how mature a "man" is can be determined by what kind of music he listens to. If for example a man listened to S Club juniors when he was 37 many people would regard this as childish... but would you still call him a man?

TV and Movies are some of the final factors I will mention in this topic. Different TV shows and movies are obviously targeted at different audiences and age groups but were do you draw the line between child hood and adult hood. Eastenders and Coronation Street are two examples of soaps but although they are obviously more mature than say The Simpsons and Futurama it can be enjoyed by both age groups.

In the end it seems to me that your own personal interests determine the way people look at you and how other people perceive you. I for example play Badminton for my school team; go on the computer most nights and watch shows like The Simpsons and Friends even though I am 15. (On the second of November) This instantly gives an impression to the whole world that I am not very mature were as in if I said: -

" I work part time while revising for my GCSE's and playing Badminton for my local club."

Most people would say that I am far more mature and am much closer to man hood.

In conclusion I leave you with a decision to make for yourself. How do you judge who is a Man and who isn't? If a fireman saved some ones life then went home to watch cartoons would he be a man? He has shown tremendous courage but is that enough when he sits at home giggling over the newest episode of Bugs Bunny? Thank you for reading my post and I hope it has made you think about how you judge certain Men in modern society.
Mon 07/10/02 at 21:26
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
This is a question that can only ever really be answered by watching 'The Big Lebowski' and the soonest possible moment
Mon 07/10/02 at 22:47
Regular
"Jags is teh l33t"
cubist, are you watching C4 atm by any chance?
Mon 07/10/02 at 22:51
Regular
"I like cheese"
I was going to write "His penis," but with the amount of effort you appear to have put in I won't. :D And of course, it's not true either.

Please don't ban me, for if you do me and my Ant colony will make you all cower like cowardly cowards by invading your kitchen and...so on, stealing the sugar, you know what I mean, peeing on the floor, etc.
Mon 07/10/02 at 23:12
Regular
"Jags is teh l33t"
heh, i know how to deal with ants.

get bug repellant

spray them with it

set fire to it

it did actually work and i put it out before the flames did any lasting damage. Not seen ants back yet.

*shudders*

my biggest and only real phobia is of ants, crawling and biting and urrrrrg

*runs*
Mon 07/10/02 at 23:14
Regular
"I like cheese"
Semajal wrote:
> heh, i know how to deal with ants.
>
> get bug repellant
>
> spray them with it
>
> set fire to it
>
> it did actually work and i put it out before the flames did any
> lasting damage. Not seen ants back yet.
>
> *shudders*
>
> my biggest and only real phobia is of ants, crawling and biting and
> urrrrrg
>
> *runs*

Y'see, here is another victim! We Ants made him cower like a cowardly coward, and all we wanted was his sugar!

And we got it as well! Shame it was granulated though, caster is much better.
Tue 08/10/02 at 00:23
Regular
"Jags is teh l33t"
we have lots of sugar, muscavado stuff, icing stuff, every sugar you could imagine. But its hidden in ant proof containers :/
Tue 08/10/02 at 00:28
Regular
"Jags is teh l33t"
i dunno though, i hate ants but when i saw some crawling over a leave i could have sliced them in half with my penknife scissors, instead i just left them alone, couldn't hurt em. Arg...can't....show....weakness...aaar
Tue 08/10/02 at 08:57
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Yikes, this is scarily close to my cultural identity module at Uni, which I'm supposed to be at in about 12 minutes.....

~~Belldandy~~
Tue 08/10/02 at 09:01
"Stupid Newbie :D"
Belldandy wrote:
> Yikes, this is scarily close to my cultural identity module at Uni,
> which I'm supposed to be at in about 12 minutes.....
>
> ~~Belldandy~~

What is? The wanton destruction of insects? Or the whole nature vs. nurture thing that's been done to death? ;)

Please say it's the first one... that would be an interesting course to take.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.