GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Blade vs Blade 2, Snipes vs Snipes....."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 06/10/02 at 19:33
Regular
After seeing both films more than once, I think the better film out of the both is Blade 2, no Blade, No they both are good. Can't really decide which one is better.

Which one do you think is the better film??
Sun 06/10/02 at 19:33
Regular
"Look Ma, No Tagline"
After seeing both films more than once, I think the better film out of the both is Blade 2, no Blade, No they both are good. Can't really decide which one is better.

Which one do you think is the better film??
Sun 06/10/02 at 20:10
Regular
I thought both films were pretty average after watching them both for the first time. But they seem to get better each time i watch them :)

I've watched both of them about 4 times now, and love them both. Blade 2 just edges it for me though. Cos its got Cat from Red dwarf in it :)
Mon 07/10/02 at 21:45
Regular
"Look Ma, No Tagline"
Or†ega wrote:
> I thought both films were pretty average after watching them both for
> the first time. But they seem to get better each time i watch them
> :)
>
> I've watched both of them about 4 times now, and love them both. Blade
> 2 just edges it for me though. Cos its got Cat from Red dwarf in it
> :)

See they both were good films, cant wait till Blade3.
Tue 08/10/02 at 11:56
Regular
Two great movies, similar, but definitely not the same, Blade and Blade 2. I absolutely love both of them, and have them on DVD. I look forward to Blade 3, and hope that they can do a repeat performance - a new movie, with many differences, but equally enjoyable (note, this doesn`t mean they have to make a vampire dog or something stupid like in Alien3).

Blade was great in that you saw the great hero fighting evil Vampires and thwarting the plans of the Blood God inside Frost. It was "hero takes on extreme evil, saves girl and humanity". Blade 2 obviously had a new definition of "the good guys" with vampires and Blade joining together to fight the reapers. It wasn`t a repeat battle with another new vampire being targeted, but instead a whole new species where good and evil were completely redefined.

Another major difference is the level of science and mythology. In the first, science explained a lot of the vampire weaknesses, but when it came to the bad guy, it was all about legend, summoing, sacrifice and evil Gods. With Blade 2, its all science - genetic modification, cloning and in detail autopsy.

Having a different director for each movie has also helped to keep the films fresh. The style of camera work, the lighting and much more is nicely varied so that you know which movie you`re watching even without looking at the actual contents of the picture. For example, Del Toro uses Amber/Yellow light at night, with a stark blue during the day, a very distinctive signature of the movie.

As for Wesley Snipes himself, he has also changed enough to make the progression interesting. He has avoided staying the same, but at the same time avoiding changing too radically - Blade in a red T-shirt saying "People like me and I like people" wouldn't have gone down particularly well. Blade appears more relaxed in this movie, his confidence has grown after more years of experience, and despite the loss of Whistler, his organisation has become more efficient, better equipped and even more deadly. He has also developed more of a sense of humour, moving from a deadly serious vampire with hatred for other vampires running through his veins into a new man, capable of understanding people much better.

Just the fact that he becomes so close to Nysaa shows how much he has grown. Will his encounter with Nysaa affect how he takes on Vampires from now on? At the end of the movie he puts an end to an earlier vampire problem, demonstrating he is back to his vampire elimination days, but will he now be more or less bitter? Will he stop and think "Is this a vampire I should be killing" or will he return to "Its a vampire, why ask questions?". It`ll be interesting to see when Blade 3 arrives...
Tue 08/10/02 at 21:02
Regular
"That's right!"
"For example, Del Toro uses Amber/Yellow light at night, with a stark blue during the day, a very distinctive signature of the movie."

Been watching the special features, eh? Heh

Blade 3 should be with us quite soon, as all involved (even Snipes) don't want to wait another 4 years to make it
Wed 09/10/02 at 10:01
Regular
MoJoJoJo wrote:
> Been watching the special features, eh? Heh

Yeh, but noticing the yellow/blue contrast doesn`t require extra knowledge from the special features, its plainly obvious from just watching the movie.
Wed 09/10/02 at 14:03
"Darth Vader 3442321"
Blade 2 has the acid edge for me: it's darker, more brooding and more horrific than the first. However I didn't think that any of the fight scenes were as cool as the first film's one in the warehouse/club. Also the second film removed all visual reference to the comic book, i.e Blade clenching of his fist when he capture his prey, the way he draws a circle with is sword etc.

I must say how surprised I was to see Matt Goss as Novak: the guy was really good, especially in his opening scene at the blood bank...
Thu 10/10/02 at 10:32
Regular
Hmm, I agree with all your points, especially about Novak, but the horrific bit I disagree with.

Blade 2 is full of blood, biting, shooting and swearing, but I don`t think its horror. Its about species trying to survive, eating when they need to, and defending themselves. To me, horror is when something like this is done, BUT, it has to be malicious, deliberate and nasty.

A lion kills a zebra...
A Reaper kills a vampire...
A shark eats a small fish...
A vampire eats a human...

Its not a nice thought, being eaten by a vampire, and is certainly not something I`d like to experience, but its about feeding, survival and regular everyday life - as Nysaa says "I`m comfortable with what I am".

Horror would be more like this -

A human kills 10 other humans, splashing blood everywhere, and coverining himself in it. The reason for the killing... unknown. No motive, no nothing, other than the desire to cause pain. Thats horror.
Thu 10/10/02 at 10:55
"Darth Vader 3442321"
War: The horror,
the horror.
Thu 10/10/02 at 11:30
Regular
True, but is it the fact that people die, or is it the fact that people die for no reason?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.