GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[18-07] Dwayne Chambers loses bid to overturn lifetime ban."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 18/07/08 at 12:10
Regular
Source

Chambers loses Olympic ban case
British sprinter Dwain Chambers will not be able to run at the Olympics after he lost his attempt to overturn his lifetime ban.

The 30-year-old took his case to secure an injunction against the British Olympic Association by-law to the High Court, but the ruling went against him.

So what does anyone think? I think it is quite an ambiguous situation beacause he has served his punishment and is it fair to continue to punish him after he has served his time. BUT at the same time he was well aware of the consequences that he faced if he got caught taking drugs, and he showed very little remorse after he was caught.

On the other hand what is the point of punishment if not an opportunity to redeem ones self, surely it would be a great acheivement to turn round and say "I hold my hands up I did it and it was wrong, but look at me now I'm drugs free and proving people that I can win fairly."

Personally they should let him go BUT he should be tested regularly and randomly over the course of now until the end of the olympics and if he was found to be taking performance enhancing drugs again he should be banned from any competitive sporting again.
Fri 18/07/08 at 15:27
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Luetchyboy wrote:
> But then one could argue that is it really fair that we don't
> give anyone the opportunity to redeem himself. It's far to
> ambiguous for my liking, and I'm pretty split on whether I think
> he should go or not.

In principle I'd agree with you. We shouldnt be eager to dismiss somebody for life because they made a bad choice. Its hard to apply it to Dwain Chambers at the moment though.

The opportunity for redemption was there and always has been. Since he got banned for much of the time hes come across as unrepentant, dismissive and arrogant about what he'd done. He sort redemption when it was convenient for him because he wanted to go to the Olympics. Too little, too late really. It seems hes back with athletics because its not worked out elsewhere (american football, rugby league etc.). So at present its really hard to believe hes genuine and not just making the right noises for convenience.

Even so, I'd still probably have given him the opportunity to go even if I admit at this stage he probably doesnt deserve it (yet).
Fri 18/07/08 at 15:00
Regular
"Monochromatic"
I think whats really annoyed people was his attitude. He said something like "Everyone is on them and it's impossible to win an Olypic medal without". If he hadn't admitted taking them he might have got away with it but because he's p**sed everyone off, no-one wants him.
Redemption is fine but not at the cost of people who havent cheated. The rules are clear. Take drugs, get a lifetime ban. It's only in the vague cases that's not the case.
Fri 18/07/08 at 14:32
Regular
"WeAppearToBeOnFire"
Yeha but do you honestly think he would of got as muscley and powerful etc without the drugs. He was a cheat and in my eyes still is. He knew the consequences and because of him many atheletes who have given their life to the sport and have lost their life long dream to him being included in various competitions while cheating when they got to that status honestly.

He has made the sport a shambles and all he would do is bring negative vibes to the Olympics from fans and critics alike.

What makes him so special that he should have the decision overturned when loads of other cheats havent?
Fri 18/07/08 at 14:15
Regular
But then one could argue that is it really fair that we don't give anyone the opportunity to redeem himself. It's far to ambiguous for my liking, and I'm pretty split on whether I think he should go or not.

On the one hand he has served his time, so why not give him the chance. If he's clean and the best then lets take him.

One the other hand there is probably no honour greater for an athelete than to represent his country at the olympics so why should somebody who cheats get this over somebody who works hard.

I'm a big fan of people being able to change their ways, nobody can honestly tell me in their life that they haven't at some point be graced with a second chance even after they knowningly messed up the first one. (I certainly have and I damn sure don't waste them.)
Fri 18/07/08 at 12:40
Regular
"Monochromatic"
There is nothing to suggest he's clean now. As far as i'm concerned he could just be on something undetectable.
Fri 18/07/08 at 12:30
Regular
"Hello?"
I think although he has served a good bit of time unable to compete he did know the concquences of what would happen if he got caught yet still did it. I think it is very hard to lift the ban because although he is not using anymore to boost his performance he did have a stint on them, so this has still affected his body. He still has an advantage against other drug free competitors IMO.
Fri 18/07/08 at 12:16
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Hurrah! I've no sympathy whatsoever for him. He's a cheating bast, he knew the rules and he admitted as much. I'm really pleased because this sort of crap has got to be cracked down on.
Fri 18/07/08 at 12:10
Regular
Source

Chambers loses Olympic ban case
British sprinter Dwain Chambers will not be able to run at the Olympics after he lost his attempt to overturn his lifetime ban.

The 30-year-old took his case to secure an injunction against the British Olympic Association by-law to the High Court, but the ruling went against him.

So what does anyone think? I think it is quite an ambiguous situation beacause he has served his punishment and is it fair to continue to punish him after he has served his time. BUT at the same time he was well aware of the consequences that he faced if he got caught taking drugs, and he showed very little remorse after he was caught.

On the other hand what is the point of punishment if not an opportunity to redeem ones self, surely it would be a great acheivement to turn round and say "I hold my hands up I did it and it was wrong, but look at me now I'm drugs free and proving people that I can win fairly."

Personally they should let him go BUT he should be tested regularly and randomly over the course of now until the end of the olympics and if he was found to be taking performance enhancing drugs again he should be banned from any competitive sporting again.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.