GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"You're not a GEEK!!!!"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 18/07/08 at 10:32
Regular
"Hello?"
Do you think times have changed in the world of video gaming? I don't mean as in the technology because that's just blooming obvious, I mean people's perception of the gaming world. I remember back in school, it was deemed that you were a bit of a geek if you were into the world of video gaming; either that or you were seen as lazy and unsociable.

Playing computer games use to be something you didn't really bring up that much at say a family dinner or when listing your hobbies for a job interview. It was looked upon as something you should have probably stopped doing when you hit your late teens. It’s seen as a part of growing up and nothing more. That really doesn't seem to be the case anymore; I'll quite happily put it as an interest on a job application or have a chat with an uncle about how he's getting on with his latest instalment of brain training!

Computer games seem to be more accepted in our society now, and quite possibly could be seen as must have for any home entertainment package, a sort of fashion accessory if you like. Games are now marketed at just about anybody. Take some of the games on the Nintendo Ds for example, brain training, Sudoku, and titles of that genre; they seem to be aimed at the more sophisticated older generation. An example I suppose of this is the fact that you can do a course at a university pretty much dedicated around the world of computer games, guess that in itself shows how far the market has come.

I know it's all about money at the end of the day for the companies that are involved in what games are out on the market. The different array of games that we have available to us is amazing and will cater for any style of gamer. It wouldn't look out of place if you were to come across a games console in say, an old people's home... would it? I vow to still be playing late into my spoon feeding years.

I really never thought I would see the day when anyone over the age of 50 really enjoyed themselves through the use of video games. The Nintendo Wii has made a massive impact on the market, and really is great for what it is; an interactive board game that the whole family or friends can participate in. I'm sure a games console will never replace traditional activities to do with your family and friends but it does sit quite comfortably amongst them. Let's hope we keep heading in the same direction, it's looking pretty damn good!
Sat 19/07/08 at 17:54
Regular
"Monochromatic"
There's always going to be a hardcore market but i think it's going to become very much secondary and possibly diluted but the mass-market casual gaming basts!
There's some irony in the fact that for years, hardcore gamers wanted acceptance by the rest of the public and now it's that market that will now change gaming for the worse. Unfortunately thats what happens when you invite in a new lowest common denominator.
Sat 19/07/08 at 13:52
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
heh it was my gran that got me into gaming back in the Amiga days as i used to watch her play games such as Ultima and Might and Magic.

Gaming's definitely becoming more widely accepted and no longer gets the "OMG YOU NERD!!!" reaction it used to, i just hope the developers remember the hardcore gamer as they move forward and don't put all their attention into "Waggly stick game 7834829137"
Sat 19/07/08 at 11:55
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Black8704 wrote:

> I really never thought I would see the day when anyone over the
> age of 50 really enjoyed themselves through the use of video
> games.

Being well over the age of fifty, I can confirm that there is nothing I like better than immersing myself in a 'good old FPS' - ask my family. My machines have all been 'modded' so that I could take full advantage of newer technologies and so enable me to play the newest offerings in the PC gaming market. It's just a shame that some of the old classics haven't been 'bettered' yet and that some promised titles haven't emerged from development studios ie Duke Nukem and any extra episodes for Sin Emergence.

As a foot note, just bought Judge Dread and Mace Griffin Bounty Hunter for £5 from the Co-op. Two more blasters!!
Fri 18/07/08 at 23:08
"possibly impossible"
Bah! True Geeks need more than games for their geek badge of honour. :)

Wii Sports blew me away because of the way it introduced a new form of control and because it was very well designed. It's also still very very playable and I keep coming back to it.

This leads to a question related but of polar opposites to your own: Are gamers now less acceptable of games aimed at different markets or 'newbies'?

I think that although gaming is now seen as slightly less of a young boy's toy and more of a social experience, from Wii to online gaming, it still has a long way to go, mostly because there are many gamers who refuse to acknowledge that things like social gaming and games for wider audiences are part of their world. To me, this is what forms part of the bigger issue.

As you probably know by now, because I bang on about it so much, I'm interested in all aspects of gaming and do not limit myself to viewing one console as superior. I saw this as a dangerous track all the way back when we were dualing it out on the playgrounds between Spectrum and C64 owners (I was the former, by the way, but then later owned a C64 and dearly loved both of them).

It's not just choosing sides any more, though, it's choosing to be elitist over what forms 'next gen' and what games should be about. At their core, games should be about fun, whether that comes from mowing down policemen in a stolen car or waving a long white wand around to hit a virtual ball. Anyone against this idea is asking for further trouble from the media as well as trying to prevent the expansion of gaming in general. Whether you like the idea that Nintendo has or not, it's creeping in to the other 2 consoles plans as well and every step in a different direction also pushes ideas in other directions, forming new evolutions of gaming. That's not to say everyone will be playing games with motion controls in the near future, but that developers are having to think of more options to keep gaming moving forward.

Just look at Endwar or Socom with their voice activated commands to see how gaming is moving in different ways, or Sony and Microsoft's platform for developers own answers to 'different' gaming in the form of Locoroco, echochrome or Viva Pinata to name but a few.

So; gaming is changing, but is it the public or gamers who need to change the most to accept it?

{rant over!}
Fri 18/07/08 at 15:28
Regular
"Hello?"
You're right it's still not socially accepted as such but it has moved leaps and bounds over the last few years, enough to notice a change in some people's perceptions. Games like singstar surely appeal to all ages, and all types of people right? There's the other end of the scale with games like world or warcraft where it's a very niche market for that type of hardcore gamer. There are a lot of games that can and do appeal to all ages, not saying there necessarily a title like GTA or MGS, but certainly the likes of Buzz etc.
Fri 18/07/08 at 15:19
Regular
"Monochromatic"
I still dont think gaming is seen as socially positive by a large percentage of people over 35. I'd certainly never bring it up in conversation or stick it on my cv. Having said that, i've finally managed to get my mother on the PS2 with Buzz! after years of trying.
I dont think things will change until the stupid w**kers from The Scum et al stop this "Games are evil. EVIL!!!!" crap.
Fri 18/07/08 at 15:08
Regular
"Hello?"
Luetchyboy wrote:
> Nintendo are just aiming at the lowest common denominator, with
> their stupid games like Wii Fit and Wii (insert generic gametype
> here)

It's true these games are not really a gamers game if you get me. They seem to sell well though, and usually at a stupidly high price. They've done well to build the name 'Wii' to a level where they can actually put anything after it and it'll probably sell ok.

Personally I've steered clear of the wii because it won't provide me with the games I'm after, however I always love having a go on one every now and again.
Fri 18/07/08 at 14:25
Regular
Nintendo are just aiming at the lowest common denominator, with their stupid games like Wii Fit and Wii (insert generic gametype here) Whilst I commend them for their efforts in pioneering new ideas not one game has actually blown me away in terms of pure gaming itself. (Zelda was pretty cool mind)

Gaming is just gaming, I've never had a problem telling people I'm playing a game, not to sure I would put it on a CV as I don't really see how this would benefit it.

As for playing games when I'm older, you can be damn sure I'll be on Call of Duty 23 abusing all the pre-teen brats that plague servers like head lice.
Fri 18/07/08 at 10:32
Regular
"Hello?"
Do you think times have changed in the world of video gaming? I don't mean as in the technology because that's just blooming obvious, I mean people's perception of the gaming world. I remember back in school, it was deemed that you were a bit of a geek if you were into the world of video gaming; either that or you were seen as lazy and unsociable.

Playing computer games use to be something you didn't really bring up that much at say a family dinner or when listing your hobbies for a job interview. It was looked upon as something you should have probably stopped doing when you hit your late teens. It’s seen as a part of growing up and nothing more. That really doesn't seem to be the case anymore; I'll quite happily put it as an interest on a job application or have a chat with an uncle about how he's getting on with his latest instalment of brain training!

Computer games seem to be more accepted in our society now, and quite possibly could be seen as must have for any home entertainment package, a sort of fashion accessory if you like. Games are now marketed at just about anybody. Take some of the games on the Nintendo Ds for example, brain training, Sudoku, and titles of that genre; they seem to be aimed at the more sophisticated older generation. An example I suppose of this is the fact that you can do a course at a university pretty much dedicated around the world of computer games, guess that in itself shows how far the market has come.

I know it's all about money at the end of the day for the companies that are involved in what games are out on the market. The different array of games that we have available to us is amazing and will cater for any style of gamer. It wouldn't look out of place if you were to come across a games console in say, an old people's home... would it? I vow to still be playing late into my spoon feeding years.

I really never thought I would see the day when anyone over the age of 50 really enjoyed themselves through the use of video games. The Nintendo Wii has made a massive impact on the market, and really is great for what it is; an interactive board game that the whole family or friends can participate in. I'm sure a games console will never replace traditional activities to do with your family and friends but it does sit quite comfortably amongst them. Let's hope we keep heading in the same direction, it's looking pretty damn good!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.