GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Defining Moments"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 04/10/02 at 05:04
Regular
There's lots of reasons I enjoy playing games, probably the most important to me is when a game does someting very unexpected, or something new, or something amazing that makes me think "Wow! I've never seen that before!"

Here's a few of those defining moments:

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance - Dungeon Graphics
This is probably the most beautiful game in terms of graphics I've yet played. And it was wholly unexpected. Once the game is in the PS2, it whirrs for a while, takes its time loading, but then after the obligatory chatting to NPCs and getting your first quest, you enter the dungeon, and this is where the game stands out. The lighting is perfect from flickering torches, the movement is perfect, the way the camera follows your character is perfect, the way things die and smash and crumple and shatter is perfect. I've yet to see these kinds of graphics matched on any other game.

Metal Gear Solid - Death of Sniper Wolf
Think you're a gun-toting hard nut? MGS was all about stealth, snapping guards' necks and the occaisional bloodbath when you got to grips with C4 chain reactions. But the scene where Snake puts Sniper Wolf out of her misery is probably one of the most emotional to appear in any game. The scene makes you pause for thought, gets you involved more, makes you feel for the ingame characters, and helps you learn more about the lead players. This mix of direction, voice acting and graphics is yet to be beaten.

Final Fantasy 8 - The Garden Battle Scene
FMV or finely crafted CGI sequences are always a fun reward for level completion. FF8 managed to give me the first real indication that one day the ingame graphics will actually be so good that you won't be able to distinguish between gameplay graphics and FMV. The scene takes place during a full scale battle, where you control your characters as they run 'through' a CGI sequence that occurs all around them. It was the first time I'd ever seen anything like this in a game.

Resident Evil - Zombie Dogs Through the Windows
Shock horror at it's finest. Dated graphically, but one of the scariest 'HOLY COW DID YOU SEE THAT!!??' moments in videogaming, the section where the rabid dobermanns jump through the windows into the seeminly quiet and serene corridor made almost everyone have a minor heart attack when they first saw it. The best heart-stopping moment ever to appear in any videogame.

Wiz 'n' Liz - Addictiveness
This much forgotten MegaDrive game was probably the most addictive I've had the pleasure to play. A basic platformer, with each level against the clock, you had to collect all the items on a level before the timer ran out. On each level was a cauldron at which you could stop and mix potions with fruit collected to produce a spell, some spells good (extra time, extra speed) some spells bad (instant death/less time). There were HUNDREDS of spells to discover, THOUSANDS of combinations of ingredients, and I spent MILLIONS of hours trying to discover them all. It's hard to find that kind of 'addictive grip' nowadays.

Skies of Arcadia - 'Dance for Me'
'Dance for Me' was a special move for one of the characters in this Dreamcast RPG. The whole game was original in most respects, but for some reason this special move defines the whole game for me, its attitude, its philosophy, its 'fun-factor'. As soon as I got this special move I used it over and over again because I enjoyed watching the accompanying graphics. Best special move. Ever.

Lemmings - 'Let's Go!'
I never thought I'd enjoy a puzzlegame until Lemmings cropped up on the PC and later the MegaDrive. Simple ideas are usually the best, and Lemmings used just a couple of great simple ideas to create a game that kept players going for hours on end. Sheer determination to beat each level led to some of the most intensive redeye gaming sessions I've ever had the misfortune to get involved in.

Planetarion - 'Incoming!'
It's a small online game. It has no significance. It's turn-based. It has no moving parts, no sound, no frills. All the ingredients of a naff game. Yet it's probably the only game in the world that, should you get addicted, will have you setting your alarm clock for 3am so that you can get up and launch an attack to wipe out some other guy you hope is still asleep. Also the only game where the words 'Incoming' and the sight of a little red button on your browser can really stress you out more than the fact that you haven't slept for 3 days and ignore your phone because you know it's your boss ringing up to find out where you've got to.

Grand Theft Auto 3 - Non-Linearity
Most games force you to follow a path. GTA3 doesn't. It's two games in one. You can either follow the plot, complete the missions, and complete the game, or you can just boot it up and be as bad as you like. This kind of free-roaming character development was only hinted at in GTA2, this sequel turned it into an artform.

Legend of Mir - Levelling System
Levelling an RPG character takes many forms. Legend of Mir is an online game that does it perfectly. As you level up you acquire new skills, and you can level those too, and acquire more items to make you more powerful. This is a standard technique for most RPGs, but the gameplay levelling system in Legend of Mir is the best I've yet seen. (Despite the fact that it's estimated that to go from level 48 to 49 would take about 10 years of intensive playing). BTW, this game is the reason you don't see me on the forums much nowadays.

Phantasy Star Online - Items
Sega's 'flagship' online game for the Dreamcast, PSO has many outstanding features (graphics, speed, fun, levelling, ease of use etc.) Yet still, after about 2 years, I'm still finding new items and equipment in the offline mode, let alone the online multiplayer mode. And that's just with one out of the many characters. That's the kind of depth that even games like Final Fantasy X can't match.

Finally, the most defining game for me? Impossible to pin one down, I've played thousands of games over the last 25 years. (Starting with Pong around 1977). They keep getting better and better, new ideas keep getting added, games keep getting bigger. So I've always got the feeling that the best is yet to come, which is a good thing.
Fri 04/10/02 at 05:04
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
There's lots of reasons I enjoy playing games, probably the most important to me is when a game does someting very unexpected, or something new, or something amazing that makes me think "Wow! I've never seen that before!"

Here's a few of those defining moments:

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance - Dungeon Graphics
This is probably the most beautiful game in terms of graphics I've yet played. And it was wholly unexpected. Once the game is in the PS2, it whirrs for a while, takes its time loading, but then after the obligatory chatting to NPCs and getting your first quest, you enter the dungeon, and this is where the game stands out. The lighting is perfect from flickering torches, the movement is perfect, the way the camera follows your character is perfect, the way things die and smash and crumple and shatter is perfect. I've yet to see these kinds of graphics matched on any other game.

Metal Gear Solid - Death of Sniper Wolf
Think you're a gun-toting hard nut? MGS was all about stealth, snapping guards' necks and the occaisional bloodbath when you got to grips with C4 chain reactions. But the scene where Snake puts Sniper Wolf out of her misery is probably one of the most emotional to appear in any game. The scene makes you pause for thought, gets you involved more, makes you feel for the ingame characters, and helps you learn more about the lead players. This mix of direction, voice acting and graphics is yet to be beaten.

Final Fantasy 8 - The Garden Battle Scene
FMV or finely crafted CGI sequences are always a fun reward for level completion. FF8 managed to give me the first real indication that one day the ingame graphics will actually be so good that you won't be able to distinguish between gameplay graphics and FMV. The scene takes place during a full scale battle, where you control your characters as they run 'through' a CGI sequence that occurs all around them. It was the first time I'd ever seen anything like this in a game.

Resident Evil - Zombie Dogs Through the Windows
Shock horror at it's finest. Dated graphically, but one of the scariest 'HOLY COW DID YOU SEE THAT!!??' moments in videogaming, the section where the rabid dobermanns jump through the windows into the seeminly quiet and serene corridor made almost everyone have a minor heart attack when they first saw it. The best heart-stopping moment ever to appear in any videogame.

Wiz 'n' Liz - Addictiveness
This much forgotten MegaDrive game was probably the most addictive I've had the pleasure to play. A basic platformer, with each level against the clock, you had to collect all the items on a level before the timer ran out. On each level was a cauldron at which you could stop and mix potions with fruit collected to produce a spell, some spells good (extra time, extra speed) some spells bad (instant death/less time). There were HUNDREDS of spells to discover, THOUSANDS of combinations of ingredients, and I spent MILLIONS of hours trying to discover them all. It's hard to find that kind of 'addictive grip' nowadays.

Skies of Arcadia - 'Dance for Me'
'Dance for Me' was a special move for one of the characters in this Dreamcast RPG. The whole game was original in most respects, but for some reason this special move defines the whole game for me, its attitude, its philosophy, its 'fun-factor'. As soon as I got this special move I used it over and over again because I enjoyed watching the accompanying graphics. Best special move. Ever.

Lemmings - 'Let's Go!'
I never thought I'd enjoy a puzzlegame until Lemmings cropped up on the PC and later the MegaDrive. Simple ideas are usually the best, and Lemmings used just a couple of great simple ideas to create a game that kept players going for hours on end. Sheer determination to beat each level led to some of the most intensive redeye gaming sessions I've ever had the misfortune to get involved in.

Planetarion - 'Incoming!'
It's a small online game. It has no significance. It's turn-based. It has no moving parts, no sound, no frills. All the ingredients of a naff game. Yet it's probably the only game in the world that, should you get addicted, will have you setting your alarm clock for 3am so that you can get up and launch an attack to wipe out some other guy you hope is still asleep. Also the only game where the words 'Incoming' and the sight of a little red button on your browser can really stress you out more than the fact that you haven't slept for 3 days and ignore your phone because you know it's your boss ringing up to find out where you've got to.

Grand Theft Auto 3 - Non-Linearity
Most games force you to follow a path. GTA3 doesn't. It's two games in one. You can either follow the plot, complete the missions, and complete the game, or you can just boot it up and be as bad as you like. This kind of free-roaming character development was only hinted at in GTA2, this sequel turned it into an artform.

Legend of Mir - Levelling System
Levelling an RPG character takes many forms. Legend of Mir is an online game that does it perfectly. As you level up you acquire new skills, and you can level those too, and acquire more items to make you more powerful. This is a standard technique for most RPGs, but the gameplay levelling system in Legend of Mir is the best I've yet seen. (Despite the fact that it's estimated that to go from level 48 to 49 would take about 10 years of intensive playing). BTW, this game is the reason you don't see me on the forums much nowadays.

Phantasy Star Online - Items
Sega's 'flagship' online game for the Dreamcast, PSO has many outstanding features (graphics, speed, fun, levelling, ease of use etc.) Yet still, after about 2 years, I'm still finding new items and equipment in the offline mode, let alone the online multiplayer mode. And that's just with one out of the many characters. That's the kind of depth that even games like Final Fantasy X can't match.

Finally, the most defining game for me? Impossible to pin one down, I've played thousands of games over the last 25 years. (Starting with Pong around 1977). They keep getting better and better, new ideas keep getting added, games keep getting bigger. So I've always got the feeling that the best is yet to come, which is a good thing.
Fri 04/10/02 at 08:37
Regular
"Not your monkey"
Have to say I agree totally here. The only game I would add to your list for addictiveness is Mario Kart on the SNES. I spent incredible hours on that game just completing it over and over again.

Apart from that, you summed everything up perfectly.
Fri 04/10/02 at 08:47
Regular
Nice post. Here's some defining/memorable moments (in brief) which spring to my mind:

Rez
The liberation of "eden" sequence at the end of area 5. I just find it beautifully dreamy.

Legend Of Zelda (Snes)
When I finally finished the game and restored peace to the land of Hyrule. When the credits started to roll, I felt like I'd really achieved something (I was quite young at the time).

Shenmue II
When Shenhua took Rio to the fields of chrysanthemums and the wind gusted the petals all about them in real time - it's not a significant moment in the game, but it's a wondrous moment.

Tomb Raider
When I grabbed the Scion and got out of the level, I thought that was going to be the end of the game; but to my amazement I discovered that I was only about 1/5 of the way through the game. The levels just kept coming and coming, and getting bigger and better. That really took me be surprise (at the time).

There's been many more, but I'm off to buy Hitman 2 :)
Fri 04/10/02 at 08:49
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
I've got to mention Vamp from Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty as well. Definitely the best character in any game ever created. He was so evil he was cool.
Fri 04/10/02 at 10:00
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
Speedball 2 on the megadrive.

When you collected enough cash for your first transfer, you allways bought a centre forward first.

Just as you get him, your next match is against revolver (the worst team), and you run across to the points doubler, and then spend the rest of the match ploughing up the centreline scoring over and over and killing lots of opponents (ice cream, ice cream), to finish the match 400-0.

Priceless.
Fri 04/10/02 at 10:03
Regular
"Orbiting Uranus"
I am gald to see an appreciation of Balders Gate: Dark Alliance. I am still crossing my fingers for a sequel.
Fri 04/10/02 at 10:48
Regular
"smile, it's free"
There was a mag used to have a 'classic gaming moments' feature on the inside back cover (CVG perhaps?), I always thought that was an excellent idea.

Here are some of mine...

Bubble bobble, when the game speeds up.
If you spend too long on a level, the screen suddenly freezes and an almost invincible enemy appears, moving in sudden and deadly straight lines. Whatever is happening on screen, you just can't take your eye off him. What makes this even more terrifying is that the game speed doubles. There's nothing quite like it to get your pulse racing.

Head Over Heels, when they first meet up.
Head starts in one part of the dungeon, Heels in another. Each with individiual abilities, but together far more than the sum of their parts. You spend hours figuring out how to get past the puzzles with each, until you finally reach the point where they meet up. The sense of achievement and power is almost unrivalled...

Super Mario 64. Finally catching the damn rabbit.
Very satisfying. The only thing mising is the ability to make Mario throttle the pesky bunny.

And of course, another honourary mention for planetarion, the game that ate up so much of my spare time in my first year.
Fri 04/10/02 at 16:45
Regular
"I'm not Orgazmo"
I used to trap the lemmings in a small space then set them all to self destruct and watch them get thrown about and die. That never got tiring, especially seeing as it slowed the game down if in a small area which was like watching it in slow mo, excellent.

Anyway a gaming moment, hmmm Zelda OOT, this game just honestly ruled generally but one moment I loved was first beig let out onto Hyrule Field, such a massive open space which lead to many world locations it was just such a good feeling of freedom and well it was just damn good.
Mon 07/10/02 at 11:41
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
The first time an opponent ran rings around m and scored a cracking goal on Pro Evo on PS2 was pretty cool. The players were actually playing like humans, making runs and so on.

Also, the Psycho Mantis battle on MGS was ace, shame I already knew what was going to happen. The bit where he reads your memory card is fantastic, and comments on any Konami saves you have on there - out of this world. Also see the shaky joypad bit - the best videogame moment ever.
Mon 07/10/02 at 11:57
Regular
"Jags is teh l33t"
i set my alarm for 5am for planetarion this morning

But planetarion will be no more :( the current round of the game will be the last because they have no money. Hey SR why not invest in pa. Youd then become very well known to about 5-6 thousand gamers.

on this topic- Brilliant :)

i think defining moments for me have been mainly nintendo related, but when i first switched on my NES and played mario was amazing, then playing Mario 64 years later on the n64. Using a 3d stick for the first time was rather cool.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.