GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Wanderer & His Shadow"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 02/10/02 at 21:02
Regular
Over the years there have been many successful and complimentary partnerships in videogames: Toejam & Earl, Sonic & Tails, Banjo & Kazooie, Jak & Daxter, Abe & Munch, to mention but a few.... and the other day whilst walking, I had a little idea of my own which I think would make an interesting and original gaming partnership.
It was a bright sunny day, and as I wandered along the pavement I became aware of my shadow, and I thought to myself, "Hmmm, this would make a good game...."

What the hell I am on about?

Well, within the gameworld of an adventure/platformer, I thought that the "lead character's shadow" would make an ideal and unique partner.

As with every dynamic gaming duo, each character usually has very different abilities allowing each one to be more suited to certain tasks.
So in my game, imagine if the main character was pretty much a normal human being with average human abilities, but with one major trick up his sleeve: he has a magical shadow.

At the right moments (during the game) you could switch control from the human character to his shadow, and move forward into the gameworld as this elusive dark character who has completely different (and superior) abilities to his human counterpart.

As the wafer-thin shadow you could slide beneath locked doors, sneak undetected past guarded areas, stealthily eliminate enemies with perhaps a suffocation attack, climb normally insummountable surfaces, etc.
In other words, as the shadow you could do countless things that the human character couldn't do.
So with the human and his magical shadow we would have two very different interchangeable characters with greatly differing abilities.

----------

But here's the subtle gameplay twist:- you would only be able to switch control to the shadow in the right atmospheric conditions, that is, when the light (whether natural light or artificial light) was strong enough to cause a shadow to be cast from the human character's body.

----------

If the human character is situated where his shadow isn't visible, then you would'nt be able to call upon his magical partner-in-crime.
This would obviously limit the opportunites when you could switch control to the more effective shadow.

Perhaps the gameworld's weather would be changeable, so if it was cloudy your options would be greatly affected, as control of the shadow would be temporarily ruled out.
Or perhaps the game's difficulty level would distinguish the availibility of the shadow, i.e. on easy level the weather would nearly always be sunny, thus the shadow would nearly always be available. On a harder difficulty level the weather would be more cloudy, and the shadow would be less accessible.

Basically, the game would consist of the shadow clearing a safe path for the weaker human character to tread, and if the shadow wasn't available, then the human character would have to rely solely on his average and normal abilities until he had the opportunity (i.e. the right light conditions) to call again on his extraspecial partner.

Well, that's my simple idea. The basic outline for a different kind of gaming partnership: The Wanderer & His Shadow.
Sun 11/05/03 at 15:53
Regular
"Laughingstock"
Fantastic.
Fri 10/01/03 at 22:05
Regular
Aha! Responses to my game idea. Cheers.
Fri 10/01/03 at 21:17
Regular
"The World is Dead"
Yeah or he might just fall over ?????????????

lush idea.
Mon 06/01/03 at 20:47
Regular
"Festivus!"
If he tried a Japanese developer and pretended to be a japanese person with a Miyamoto mask, he may get it done...
Sun 05/01/03 at 22:37
Regular
"I see you"
It'd never happen, the games developers won't take on an idea unless their pretty sure it'll sell. I'm not putting this idea down, it's fantastic to say the least. I'm just saying in reality what the games developers would do.

They don't like new ideas all they want to pump a certain game from a certain genre until we are all bored out of our skulls. Anyway keep up the good work, but do try the games developers maybe you'll get lucky.
Sun 05/01/03 at 17:46
Regular
"Festivus!"
This is the kind of thing we should be seeing on this forum EVERY SINGLE DAY. The game has brilliant potential - maybe you should send it off to a publisher so that it could get made - God knows this is a far better idea than another bland driving game...
Thu 17/10/02 at 21:53
Regular
Great, great idea.
Sun 13/10/02 at 10:02
Regular
"Festivus!"
And you desrved it.
Sat 12/10/02 at 14:39
Regular
I won.
Wed 02/10/02 at 21:02
Regular
Over the years there have been many successful and complimentary partnerships in videogames: Toejam & Earl, Sonic & Tails, Banjo & Kazooie, Jak & Daxter, Abe & Munch, to mention but a few.... and the other day whilst walking, I had a little idea of my own which I think would make an interesting and original gaming partnership.
It was a bright sunny day, and as I wandered along the pavement I became aware of my shadow, and I thought to myself, "Hmmm, this would make a good game...."

What the hell I am on about?

Well, within the gameworld of an adventure/platformer, I thought that the "lead character's shadow" would make an ideal and unique partner.

As with every dynamic gaming duo, each character usually has very different abilities allowing each one to be more suited to certain tasks.
So in my game, imagine if the main character was pretty much a normal human being with average human abilities, but with one major trick up his sleeve: he has a magical shadow.

At the right moments (during the game) you could switch control from the human character to his shadow, and move forward into the gameworld as this elusive dark character who has completely different (and superior) abilities to his human counterpart.

As the wafer-thin shadow you could slide beneath locked doors, sneak undetected past guarded areas, stealthily eliminate enemies with perhaps a suffocation attack, climb normally insummountable surfaces, etc.
In other words, as the shadow you could do countless things that the human character couldn't do.
So with the human and his magical shadow we would have two very different interchangeable characters with greatly differing abilities.

----------

But here's the subtle gameplay twist:- you would only be able to switch control to the shadow in the right atmospheric conditions, that is, when the light (whether natural light or artificial light) was strong enough to cause a shadow to be cast from the human character's body.

----------

If the human character is situated where his shadow isn't visible, then you would'nt be able to call upon his magical partner-in-crime.
This would obviously limit the opportunites when you could switch control to the more effective shadow.

Perhaps the gameworld's weather would be changeable, so if it was cloudy your options would be greatly affected, as control of the shadow would be temporarily ruled out.
Or perhaps the game's difficulty level would distinguish the availibility of the shadow, i.e. on easy level the weather would nearly always be sunny, thus the shadow would nearly always be available. On a harder difficulty level the weather would be more cloudy, and the shadow would be less accessible.

Basically, the game would consist of the shadow clearing a safe path for the weaker human character to tread, and if the shadow wasn't available, then the human character would have to rely solely on his average and normal abilities until he had the opportunity (i.e. the right light conditions) to call again on his extraspecial partner.

Well, that's my simple idea. The basic outline for a different kind of gaming partnership: The Wanderer & His Shadow.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.