GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Graphics over content??"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 01/10/02 at 20:42
Regular
It seems as gaming evolves more and more developers seems to be choosing gfx over gameplay.... why?? do they expect their screenshots to hypnotise us into buying the game no matter what gameplay lies beneath the well groomed facade they create.

i mean what do you prefer a good old game of mario kart or the overdone crash bandicoot racing......

i think i've made my point

john
Fri 10/01/03 at 20:31
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Something to remember is that well over 90% of all games ever released are, quite simply, crap.

It may well be the case that Mario Kart has far better gameplay than Crash Bandicoot racing, but Mario Kart was the best of it's time. For every Mario Kart out there, how many other racing titles sunk without a trace?

It's too harsh to say developers are concentrating on graphics over gameplay these days. The truth is that developers have always been trying for it, but it's rare that they ever get it right. The only difference these days, is that of the huge number of titles that fall by the wayside, at least some will now look nice.

That's progress for you.
Fri 10/01/03 at 20:01
Regular
"Festivus!"
Or maybe you shouldn't.
Wed 08/01/03 at 20:19
Regular
"The World is Dead"
mabye I should put this up to the top of the forum so people recognize it
Fri 03/01/03 at 00:41
Regular
"I see you"
Yeah it really is a rubbish game, I got rid of my copy as soon as poossible though. Can't believe i wasted £30 on it
Thu 02/01/03 at 20:51
Regular
"The World is Dead"
did you find the end boss really annoying. it just seemed to do nothing when i hit and after 20mins of play sitting on some rocks firing arrows constantly I brought it down.

Plus it didn't follow the book at all. I mean since when in the book did Gandalf fire lightning at the Balrog, cut him with a sword run away and repeat. it's absurd and way too easy.
Mon 30/12/02 at 01:10
Regular
"I see you"
Pheat wrote:
> I agree. I mean have you played the fellowship of the ring game. The
> graphics are brill but the gameplay is like just bad. But there are a
> few games out there which combine the two elements well like. Emporer
> battle for dune. which came down like a burning airship.

I made the mistake of buying this game. I must admit the graphics are sweet but the gameplay sucks, yiou can run straight past most of the monsters and they won't even bother you.
Sun 29/12/02 at 10:25
Regular
"The World is Dead"
I agree. I mean have you played the fellowship of the ring game. The graphics are brill but the gameplay is like just bad. But there are a few games out there which combine the two elements well like. Emporer battle for dune. which came down like a burning airship.
Wed 25/12/02 at 21:02
Regular
"I see you"
Not all games developers are making there games more graphically enhanced rather than concentrating on gameplay, there is some quality titles out there with both beautiful graphics and great gameplay (jedi knight 2, Mafia) + just look at the releases for next year on the PC, Splinter Cell, Unreal II, Doom III, and HALO! omg Halo thats gonna be class, superb graphics (monster of a pc needed to run it like) but excellent single player gameplay and even better multi player action.
Tue 01/10/02 at 20:42
It seems as gaming evolves more and more developers seems to be choosing gfx over gameplay.... why?? do they expect their screenshots to hypnotise us into buying the game no matter what gameplay lies beneath the well groomed facade they create.

i mean what do you prefer a good old game of mario kart or the overdone crash bandicoot racing......

i think i've made my point

john

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.