GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[FILM] Stop-Loss (2007)"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 14/07/08 at 21:48
Regular
"Thinking and typing"
(This is a film only review.)

So, it's a beautiful Sunday afternoon, the sun is shining and the weather is hot and people parade around in the streets with very few clothes on. All is beautiful. So, how can we spend the rest of our Sunday? Cinema is always a good option, and a nice way to conclude such a glorious day...We decided to go and see 'Stop-Loss', the MTV produced, Iraqi war film that everyone is talking about. Well, what a reality check (bringing me back down to earth with a thump) and sobering way to finish off the day!

Firstly, I can not remember being so moved by a war film, as I was by 'Stop-Loss'. Before I go any further, it may be worth explaining what 'Stop-Loss' is, as I wasn't entirely sure myself before I saw this. 'Stop-Loss' is a policy that was created by the American States Congress, just after the Vietnam War, and entitles a legal right of the President to extend a soldier's service in the armed forces. Even if you have served in Iraq (for example) and return home, you can get 'Stop-Lossed' and have to return and continue fighting. It was first initiated before and during the first Persian Gulf War, and has since been used during American military deployments to Somalia, Haiti, Bosnia and Kosovo (during the 1990s) and after the current war on terror, post the September 11th attacks of 2001.

Here is some legal information about Stop-Loss (not the film, the real life details) taken from Wikipedia (I found this interesting and relevant to include):
''Stop-loss was created by the United States Congress after the Vietnam War. It has been used on the legal basis of Title 10, United States Code, Section 12305(a) which states in part: "... the President may suspend any provision of law relating to promotion, retirement, or separation applicable to any member of the armed forces who the President determines is essential to the national security of the United States" and Paragraph 9(c) of DD Form 4/1 (The Armed Forces Enlistment Contract) which states: "In the event of war, my enlistment in the Armed Forces continues until six (6) months after the war ends, unless the enlistment is ended sooner by the President of the United States." Furthermore, every person who enlists in branch of the Armed Forces signs an initial contract with an eight (8) year obligation, regardless of how many years of active duty the person enlists for.''

The film tells the story of U.S Army Staff Sgt. Brandon King, honestly and superbly played by Ryan Phillippe ('Cruel Intentions') who leads a platoon into an unexpected ambush, whilst on service in the city of Tikrit, Iraq. By this time, we have met his 'team' and very quickly grew to like them in a short 'home made documentary' introduction. He is fighting alongside his best friend from school, Steve Shriver, played by Channing Tatum ('Step Up') and other friends from his hometown in Texas. But the ambush kills more of his team than a man should be responsible for. We follow the boys back home, to see the post-war effects on the two of them, plus they're friend Tommy (who was also fighting in iraq with them), played by Joseph Gordon-Levitt ('3rd Rock From Sun'). As King has seen his friends die and sees the terrible post traumatic effect on his friends, and the relief and love from his family, he resolutes that he will leave the armed forces all together. Only on his last day of duty, he finds out he's been 'Stop-Lossed' and has to return to Iraq. Although the policy says that if the war is won, then the 'stop-loss' will become 'void', it seems irrelevant that the President had already announced that 'they have won the war', and had signed the order anyway! From here, a complicated turn of events pass as King goes AWOL, with the help of Shriver's fiancé, Michelle sublimely played by Abbie Cornish ('Candy'), to get to Washington D.C to plead his case with the senator for Texas to get the 'sentence' cancelled. Thus, he becomes a fugitive, narrowly avoiding search parties from the police. A complete turn around by the man who was a decorated hero (awarded medals of bravery on his return from Iraq) only days before.

Whilst the story is relatively simple, it is powerfully and rather beautifully told. Shriver's fiancé, Michelle is a life long friend of the family to King, so her help is purely platonic and deeply touching as a consequence. I have never seen Abbie Cornish in a film and I was very impressed by her honest and somewhat, underplayed performance. I guess it would have been to easy to cast a more established actor in the role, such as Kirsten Dunst or Scarlett Johanson, but I feel having Cornish in the role, really added a certain quality of realism that a Hollywood face wouldn't allow.

When I watch a film, I like to absorb myself completely in the emotional journey of the characters. Needless to say, throughout King's flash backs and memories of war, my eyes were anything but dry. One particular moment, was the memory of being in an Iraqi dwelling, rescuing his injured best friend (Shriver), armed with gun in hand, we see he is also faced with an insurgent rebel holding not only a grenade, but a gun...as well as a small boy. So, faced with such an awfully desperate and tragic situation, King's guilt, not just at the death of more than just his 'innocent' comrades, but the other innocent victims of Iraq, is heart wrenching. Another moment that stands out in my mind, is a hospital visit to one of his platoon members, the beautiful Rico, after their return from Iraq...I defy anyone not to be moved by the stunning performance from Phillippe and actor Victor Rasuk.

Director (and writer) Kimberley Peirce ('Boys Don't Cry') had a heavy film on her hands, but I feel she executed it very, very well indeed. Not only does this film show the appauling effects of post-war stress on the incredibly brave soldiers, but also manages to show the ridiculousness of war in general, especially the harsh realities of unfair US armed force's policies to get their soldiers fighting. It's not enough that these men made the decision to sign up to the army, to fight for their country, understanding that their battalion could get sent out to Iraq, but at the moment they decide that enough is enough, they are forced back again! I feel this is an important film (also written by Mark Richard) to highlight such issues that I feel are dumbed down by politicians and spin doctors. Governmental power is corrupt and unfair on it's country, and this film makes me believe that something such as the 'stop-loss' policy proves this.

Critically, the film has been received well in America, although not financially, only grossing $4.5m at the Box Office. It was released in the US at the end of March 2008, and released on DVD next month (August) in UK. The only thing I didn't like about this film was that MTV are one of the producers and this feels evident in the soundtrack which contains a lot of R'n'B and Rap music, which I feel would suit a film 'on the streets of the ghetto' perhaps, but this film is not that. When 'at home', we are in Texas...I didn't realize that rap was so prevalent there?? The use of the music feels like an attempt to attract a younger audience (which isn't necessarily a bad thing) rather than choosing more appropriate music to maintain a stronger integrity and 'authenticity' to the film as a whole.

Although this film has a lot of graphic and violent scenes that will shock and upset some people, I urge everyone to see this film. I fear that films like this fall under the radar as they are not huge, big budget or 'box office smashes', yet they contain a message and tell a story that should be heard by everyone. Not wanting to sound preachy or precious, go and see this film! I hadn't heard the full extent or understanding of US politics and policies, nor about 'Stop-Loss' and this film has given me an insight into to something that feels wrong, yet 'acceptable' by the powers that be. So, maybe with enough noise (or at least awareness) against such terrible regulations, we may be able to protect the families and friends of soldiers who have to risk their lives against their will. The film was described by Rolling Stone magazine as being the first movie of the year that touches greatness, and I wholeheartedly agree.

Recommended.

Cast:
Ryan Phillippe - SSG Brandon Leonard King
Joseph Gordon-Levitt - SPC Tommy Burgess
Rob Brown - Isaac "Eyeball" Butler
Channing Tatum - SGT Steve Shriver
Victor Rasuk - Rico Ridriguez
Abbie Cornish - Michelle
Terry Quay - Al "Preacher" Colson
Matthew Scott Wilcox - Harvey
Connett Brewer - Curtis
Timothy Olyphant - Lt. Col. Boot Miller
Josef Sommer - Senator Orton Worrell
Linda Emond - Ida King
Ciarán Hinds - Roy King
Mamie Gummer - Jeanie
Alex Frost - Shorty

For more information and clips go to: www.stoplossmovie.com

Thanks for reading :)
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Mon 14/07/08 at 21:48
Regular
"Thinking and typing"
(This is a film only review.)

So, it's a beautiful Sunday afternoon, the sun is shining and the weather is hot and people parade around in the streets with very few clothes on. All is beautiful. So, how can we spend the rest of our Sunday? Cinema is always a good option, and a nice way to conclude such a glorious day...We decided to go and see 'Stop-Loss', the MTV produced, Iraqi war film that everyone is talking about. Well, what a reality check (bringing me back down to earth with a thump) and sobering way to finish off the day!

Firstly, I can not remember being so moved by a war film, as I was by 'Stop-Loss'. Before I go any further, it may be worth explaining what 'Stop-Loss' is, as I wasn't entirely sure myself before I saw this. 'Stop-Loss' is a policy that was created by the American States Congress, just after the Vietnam War, and entitles a legal right of the President to extend a soldier's service in the armed forces. Even if you have served in Iraq (for example) and return home, you can get 'Stop-Lossed' and have to return and continue fighting. It was first initiated before and during the first Persian Gulf War, and has since been used during American military deployments to Somalia, Haiti, Bosnia and Kosovo (during the 1990s) and after the current war on terror, post the September 11th attacks of 2001.

Here is some legal information about Stop-Loss (not the film, the real life details) taken from Wikipedia (I found this interesting and relevant to include):
''Stop-loss was created by the United States Congress after the Vietnam War. It has been used on the legal basis of Title 10, United States Code, Section 12305(a) which states in part: "... the President may suspend any provision of law relating to promotion, retirement, or separation applicable to any member of the armed forces who the President determines is essential to the national security of the United States" and Paragraph 9(c) of DD Form 4/1 (The Armed Forces Enlistment Contract) which states: "In the event of war, my enlistment in the Armed Forces continues until six (6) months after the war ends, unless the enlistment is ended sooner by the President of the United States." Furthermore, every person who enlists in branch of the Armed Forces signs an initial contract with an eight (8) year obligation, regardless of how many years of active duty the person enlists for.''

The film tells the story of U.S Army Staff Sgt. Brandon King, honestly and superbly played by Ryan Phillippe ('Cruel Intentions') who leads a platoon into an unexpected ambush, whilst on service in the city of Tikrit, Iraq. By this time, we have met his 'team' and very quickly grew to like them in a short 'home made documentary' introduction. He is fighting alongside his best friend from school, Steve Shriver, played by Channing Tatum ('Step Up') and other friends from his hometown in Texas. But the ambush kills more of his team than a man should be responsible for. We follow the boys back home, to see the post-war effects on the two of them, plus they're friend Tommy (who was also fighting in iraq with them), played by Joseph Gordon-Levitt ('3rd Rock From Sun'). As King has seen his friends die and sees the terrible post traumatic effect on his friends, and the relief and love from his family, he resolutes that he will leave the armed forces all together. Only on his last day of duty, he finds out he's been 'Stop-Lossed' and has to return to Iraq. Although the policy says that if the war is won, then the 'stop-loss' will become 'void', it seems irrelevant that the President had already announced that 'they have won the war', and had signed the order anyway! From here, a complicated turn of events pass as King goes AWOL, with the help of Shriver's fiancé, Michelle sublimely played by Abbie Cornish ('Candy'), to get to Washington D.C to plead his case with the senator for Texas to get the 'sentence' cancelled. Thus, he becomes a fugitive, narrowly avoiding search parties from the police. A complete turn around by the man who was a decorated hero (awarded medals of bravery on his return from Iraq) only days before.

Whilst the story is relatively simple, it is powerfully and rather beautifully told. Shriver's fiancé, Michelle is a life long friend of the family to King, so her help is purely platonic and deeply touching as a consequence. I have never seen Abbie Cornish in a film and I was very impressed by her honest and somewhat, underplayed performance. I guess it would have been to easy to cast a more established actor in the role, such as Kirsten Dunst or Scarlett Johanson, but I feel having Cornish in the role, really added a certain quality of realism that a Hollywood face wouldn't allow.

When I watch a film, I like to absorb myself completely in the emotional journey of the characters. Needless to say, throughout King's flash backs and memories of war, my eyes were anything but dry. One particular moment, was the memory of being in an Iraqi dwelling, rescuing his injured best friend (Shriver), armed with gun in hand, we see he is also faced with an insurgent rebel holding not only a grenade, but a gun...as well as a small boy. So, faced with such an awfully desperate and tragic situation, King's guilt, not just at the death of more than just his 'innocent' comrades, but the other innocent victims of Iraq, is heart wrenching. Another moment that stands out in my mind, is a hospital visit to one of his platoon members, the beautiful Rico, after their return from Iraq...I defy anyone not to be moved by the stunning performance from Phillippe and actor Victor Rasuk.

Director (and writer) Kimberley Peirce ('Boys Don't Cry') had a heavy film on her hands, but I feel she executed it very, very well indeed. Not only does this film show the appauling effects of post-war stress on the incredibly brave soldiers, but also manages to show the ridiculousness of war in general, especially the harsh realities of unfair US armed force's policies to get their soldiers fighting. It's not enough that these men made the decision to sign up to the army, to fight for their country, understanding that their battalion could get sent out to Iraq, but at the moment they decide that enough is enough, they are forced back again! I feel this is an important film (also written by Mark Richard) to highlight such issues that I feel are dumbed down by politicians and spin doctors. Governmental power is corrupt and unfair on it's country, and this film makes me believe that something such as the 'stop-loss' policy proves this.

Critically, the film has been received well in America, although not financially, only grossing $4.5m at the Box Office. It was released in the US at the end of March 2008, and released on DVD next month (August) in UK. The only thing I didn't like about this film was that MTV are one of the producers and this feels evident in the soundtrack which contains a lot of R'n'B and Rap music, which I feel would suit a film 'on the streets of the ghetto' perhaps, but this film is not that. When 'at home', we are in Texas...I didn't realize that rap was so prevalent there?? The use of the music feels like an attempt to attract a younger audience (which isn't necessarily a bad thing) rather than choosing more appropriate music to maintain a stronger integrity and 'authenticity' to the film as a whole.

Although this film has a lot of graphic and violent scenes that will shock and upset some people, I urge everyone to see this film. I fear that films like this fall under the radar as they are not huge, big budget or 'box office smashes', yet they contain a message and tell a story that should be heard by everyone. Not wanting to sound preachy or precious, go and see this film! I hadn't heard the full extent or understanding of US politics and policies, nor about 'Stop-Loss' and this film has given me an insight into to something that feels wrong, yet 'acceptable' by the powers that be. So, maybe with enough noise (or at least awareness) against such terrible regulations, we may be able to protect the families and friends of soldiers who have to risk their lives against their will. The film was described by Rolling Stone magazine as being the first movie of the year that touches greatness, and I wholeheartedly agree.

Recommended.

Cast:
Ryan Phillippe - SSG Brandon Leonard King
Joseph Gordon-Levitt - SPC Tommy Burgess
Rob Brown - Isaac "Eyeball" Butler
Channing Tatum - SGT Steve Shriver
Victor Rasuk - Rico Ridriguez
Abbie Cornish - Michelle
Terry Quay - Al "Preacher" Colson
Matthew Scott Wilcox - Harvey
Connett Brewer - Curtis
Timothy Olyphant - Lt. Col. Boot Miller
Josef Sommer - Senator Orton Worrell
Linda Emond - Ida King
Ciarán Hinds - Roy King
Mamie Gummer - Jeanie
Alex Frost - Shorty

For more information and clips go to: www.stoplossmovie.com

Thanks for reading :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.