GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Dreamcast resetting itself! Help!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 30/09/02 at 21:50
Regular
Hi all. I've had my Dreamcast for about 3 years now but during the last six months or so it likes to reset itself occasionally, often during the middle of a game! Not good! I know this is quite a common fault with them but i cant remember how you cure it. I seem to remember reading somewhere you have to clean some of the copper contacts inside the machine but i cant remember how you get to them or where they are!! The fault isnt bad at the moment as it can go for weeks without doing it but i'd like to nip it in the bud if i can before it gets any worse! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers folks.
Mon 30/09/02 at 21:50
Regular
Hi all. I've had my Dreamcast for about 3 years now but during the last six months or so it likes to reset itself occasionally, often during the middle of a game! Not good! I know this is quite a common fault with them but i cant remember how you cure it. I seem to remember reading somewhere you have to clean some of the copper contacts inside the machine but i cant remember how you get to them or where they are!! The fault isnt bad at the moment as it can go for weeks without doing it but i'd like to nip it in the bud if i can before it gets any worse! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers folks.
Tue 01/10/02 at 00:11
Regular
"An Evil Resident"
Im sry im not about to be much help but i guess this is worth a shot until a better suggestion comes along...

Have you tried cleaning the lens?

My reason for asking that is if the lens is dirty it may have difficulty in reading the CD thus fooling the DC to think there is no CD in place so rebooting itself. Ok that sounds a silly idea and is probably very wrong but its worth a go until the more experienced get chance to reply.

PS: be careful when cleaning the lens (if you do so) try to search google on the best/safest way to do it.

Sry im not more help.
Tue 01/10/02 at 00:18
Regular
I found this on the net:

VERY, VERY IMPORTANT: Opening up your Dreamcast will invalidate your warranty, so if you do not feel you can carry out the task, don't! Only use this process as a last resort.

Please note that the structure may be slightly different in Dreamcasts of different regions.

Unplug your Dreamcast, and leave it for a while to make sure that there is less chance of static electricity. Detach the modem from your Dreamcast, and open your Dreamcast's case CAREFULLY. Now, you will see a mains board (the smallest one), the Power Supply (the biggest chip) and the Lens.

You will only need to touch the Power Supply, the biggest chip. Unlock it slowly and carefully with a screwdriver. You will see a plastic thing and six pins. The pins are the cause of many Dreamcast reset problems! Clean them very thoroughly (with a spot of carefully applied WD40), and clean the chip and plastic thing very carefully as well if you wish. Only the pins really need to be cleaned, but no harm in making sure if you're careful.

Now, bend the plastic pins SLIGHTLY to the back of of the DC - this helps to ensure the connection will be better. Finally, ensure that there is not too much dust in your DC, then close the case.

This solution is said to solve 99% of DC reset problems. I really hope it helps anyone out there who has a stubbornly resetting DC. ^_^;

Tue 01/10/02 at 00:23
Regular
"An Evil Resident"
Excellent post Nomad...

Thats the sort of reply i knew he would get (not lame efforts like mine was lol)
Thu 17/10/02 at 02:30
Regular
"I'm Back!!"
ha ha ha ha is all i can say

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.