GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Console Peripherals"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 28/11/00 at 09:06
Regular
In light of the imminent release of Sonic Team's Samba De Amigo, something occurred to me - the game itself will be costing me £30, however the peripherals required are costing an extra £70. How many of you here would purchase a set of peripherals knowing that there will only be a handful of games that will utilise them?

Light Guns for example; they're pretty much a common peripheral for a console - unless you own an N64 that is. How many games on say, the PSX or Dreamcast do we see support the light gun though? You could probably count how titles support on one hand. I for one,
would like too see a few more titles support this. House Of The Dead 2? Great fun! Point Blank? A right hoot! But, how much fun would they've been with just a regular controller?

It's all about experience! Whether you are using a Steering Wheel, Light Gun etc. In order to enjoy a game that requires a specific peripheral, we need to utilise them to really enjoy the full experience. I cannot imagine playing a title such as Samba De Amigo without the Maracas or Seaman without the Microphone or Time Crisis without the Light Gun. Could you?

What sort of peripherals would you like to see?

Thoughts?

Bleeders, who's extrememly tired this morning :(
Tue 28/11/00 at 09:06
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
In light of the imminent release of Sonic Team's Samba De Amigo, something occurred to me - the game itself will be costing me £30, however the peripherals required are costing an extra £70. How many of you here would purchase a set of peripherals knowing that there will only be a handful of games that will utilise them?

Light Guns for example; they're pretty much a common peripheral for a console - unless you own an N64 that is. How many games on say, the PSX or Dreamcast do we see support the light gun though? You could probably count how titles support on one hand. I for one,
would like too see a few more titles support this. House Of The Dead 2? Great fun! Point Blank? A right hoot! But, how much fun would they've been with just a regular controller?

It's all about experience! Whether you are using a Steering Wheel, Light Gun etc. In order to enjoy a game that requires a specific peripheral, we need to utilise them to really enjoy the full experience. I cannot imagine playing a title such as Samba De Amigo without the Maracas or Seaman without the Microphone or Time Crisis without the Light Gun. Could you?

What sort of peripherals would you like to see?

Thoughts?

Bleeders, who's extrememly tired this morning :(
Tue 28/11/00 at 09:32
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
I'd like to see the motion detecting glove with pressure pads in each finger. Then for cursor based games you could point where you want the cursor to go on the screen from distance, and then for example you could touch forefinger to thumb to indicate select, tap your index finger to cancel, and make stabbing motions with your index and middle fingers to indicate shoot. You could also make various hand gestures when playing your mates at FIFA 2003 and see the players on screen mimic your indicated communication.

However, I would NOT advise picking your nose whilst playing Resident Evil, for obvious reasons.
Tue 28/11/00 at 10:18
Regular
"smile, it's free"
I'd like to see a periphreral which measures brain-wave strength. There are a variety of ways in which this could be used. Imagine playing a game using only the power of your thought..the possibilities are practically limitless - a fighting games where the power of your moves is based on the power of your thought, or even something as simple as guiding a dot through a maze. (Telekenetic pac-man anyone?)
It would certainly create at least one new genre of mind-based game. Wouldn't it be great to be able to tell your best friend "I beat you because my brain is better than yours"
This concept isn't as stupid as it sounds, because as some of you may know, similars thing have already been done, albeit a more simplified versions where the idea was either to "keep the telly on" by concentrating as long as possible, or to move a dot to a specific point on a screen. It's only a matter of time before this technology becomes advanced anough to seriously implement in the games industry.
Tue 28/11/00 at 10:25
in a matter of time it wont b screens ti will b holograms
Tue 28/11/00 at 10:31
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
I had a similar idea to yours FantasyMeister :)

Basically, a Pak, built like the Puru Puru Pak or Rumble Pak, sits in the control pad and based on motion sensor technology, you move the Pad around, and the movements are replicated on screen. The peripheral would be aimed at Flight Sims and Shoot Em' Up titles.

Bleeders
Tue 28/11/00 at 11:10
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
I think loads of people have had the data glove idea, it's one of the VR toys you see in hi-tech research labs; still, be nice to see it used properly, i.e. by gamers.

Wireless technology would be a small step forward though, we already have wireless keypads and meeces (mice?) so infra red wireless light guns and joysticks should only be a year or two away before they hit the shops. Nothing new there, just old technology given a different slant.
Tue 28/11/00 at 11:16
Regular
"not dead"
Remember the NES power glove?

How about the film "The Wizard" Starring Fred Savage. It was about these kids that ran away from home to enter the Nintendo world championships. There was this other kid that had a Power Glove.

"I love, the Power Glove" that's what he used to say.

The game they had to play at the end was Super Mario Bros 3.
Tue 28/11/00 at 20:50
Regular
Remember the gun for the duck shoot?
That's the first kind of model for a lightgun.
Peripherals make racing games better. Gran Turismo, Driver needs one to make it more realistic and more fun.
Light Guns are not needed in an shoot em' up, the controls have to be adjusted slightly to make it comfortable enough for us.
Tue 28/11/00 at 20:55
Regular
NOT, I repeat, NOT, a stupid dance mat. It is not fun, it is mildly amusing, for approximatly the same amount of time it takes to get it out of the box.

I didn't buy one, by the way. Just irritated at people buying them in games shops. Usually young couples.

"WHHH-ATTT are you DOING you stupid people!!!! PUT THAT BACK!! Give it here. GIVE IT!!"

Really. Some people need all the help they can get. And that's still not enough.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.