GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Emotion Engine 2"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 28/11/00 at 00:40
Regular
I just read a very interesting article about the PS2 expansion port. We all know that this is for the 20GB HDD and modem, however it will also include the Emotion Engine 2, which will turn your PS2 in to a 256 bit super console. Hear is what the report said:

"You have obviously heard about the HDD - well that's only half of it. The hole in the back of the PS2 has a connection above it, and this new super box being released next October will slide in the hole and have a short wire to that plug.

This box, and this is where it gets good, contains a 20GB HDD and, this is the good part, a little bit of top secret kit called the EEII, or in terms, the Emotion Engine 2.

This bit of kit transforms the PS2 to a 256 bit super console. The Jap version is already complete and going through testing. Our job was to make it fit the UK and Europe models.

Third party developers haven't worked on the new kit yet but one. Sony have made a getaway demo using it, I’ve seen it, its super fast. The getaway 2 and SSX 2 are going to use the new kit. I think you will find this very interesting.

Oh, and 120fps has been clocked in the last week."

This report is from a sony insider, is it true? you decide.
Sat 02/12/00 at 14:10
Regular
Hang on.

We are supposed to believe that the PS2 can just be a dual processored console "when it wants to"?

And connected by a cable too?

Humm. Right.
Sat 02/12/00 at 12:27
Regular
"~SRS~humpo"
i had a look at my playstation2 after reading this post and yes, there is a connection above the gaping hole but its the only connection . so if this so called ee2 fits here , where does the hdd connect...i can smell a stinker
Wed 29/11/00 at 10:23
Regular
"MSR Rules"
I'll have to agree with Babylonian. Sounds like BS.
The reason why console are so quick and powerfull with only a low spec is the simplistic, and bespoke, system bus design. The other main reason is the distance between the cpu and graphics chip and system RAM.
A new processor outside of the machine would ruin most of this.
Wed 29/11/00 at 10:22
Regular
"MSR Rules"
I'll have to agree with Babylonian. Sounds like BS.
The reason why console are so quick and powerfull with only a low spec is the simplistic, and bespoke, system bus design.
A new processor outside of the machine would ruin the speedy bus connection.
Tue 28/11/00 at 21:35
> The artical was at PS2 city www.ps2city.com

Many thanks, Viperfire - a source is much appreciated.

It certainly would be amazing, *if* there is any truth in it. But at this time, I'd have to say it's probably more fantasy than reality.

But - we live in hope!
Tue 28/11/00 at 21:20
this sounds like a good idea as it would almost probably push sony over the top into the king of the consoles chair only problam is the cost i mean 120 fps 200 odd bits *pricy*
Tue 28/11/00 at 15:27
Regular
"gametag = viperfire"
The artical was at PS2 city www.ps2city.com
Tue 28/11/00 at 13:39
Sounds like a pile of BS to me.

If you have actually seen this, Viper, please tell us WHERE.

It's funny (even annoying!) how so many claims like this - for whatever system - are posted without any hard evidence.

If you read it in a magazine, please quote the name and issue number. If you read it on the web, please post the URL.
Tue 28/11/00 at 10:27
Regular
"Complete Banker"
I must say as good as it sounds I am VERY sceptical of the possibility of Sony putting another processor in with the modem and HDD. It would essentially make it a 3rd console.
My opinion - made up by someone with an active imagination.
Tue 28/11/00 at 09:57
well if it is, the question of me buying the x-box or GC can blow. 120fps? you sure?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.