GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"You call this "chat"? :oP"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 30/09/02 at 04:47
Regular
Forum it is, but chat? Methinks not. :P
See, now if you really wanted a laugh, you'd all be laughing at each other's accents/voices over a voice chat program.

I occasionally use one to speak with a number of friends, I'd otherwise have to pay through the nose to phone, that being Paltalk. Which if it weren't for the confounded pop-ups, would be the perfect software for that purpose, given the audio quality is quite high and it doesn't lag much. Course, NoAds (southbaypc.com) does counter pop-ups to an extent. You can get Paltalk at paltalk.com (funnily enough), if anyone is interested.

I'm sure I wouldn't be the only person amused by an SR voice chat session.

*Enters goading mode*

Course... if none of you are man enough to speak into a microphone and have all your SR peers hear your dulcit tones... :D
Mon 30/09/02 at 21:47
"Stupid Newbie :D"
gerrid wrote:
> I don't think that Pointless Babble thought his topic through.
> Think about it, how would we have organised, mass discussions (or
> debates) if everone was trying to speak at the same time.

It's actually fairly easy, I've used it for similar before. ;)
You can always appoint moderators too, if you want to ensure nobody is preventing others from speaking, and as I stated it's both a text and voice chatroom. So even when you aren't speaking over the mic you can be typing with no restrictions.

> Then there would be all the people like you who would keep saying "You
> sound like an idiot", and then no one would want to use it.

The only time I EVER do that is in response to someone picking a fight, I don't go about idle, and pick out people to have a spat with. You'll find that if I've called you an idiot, it's for good reason, in your case it was for being rude towards me on a topic with no cause. If you can act in an adult manner, then as I stated to both Quinty and DW, I have no qualms with you... notice I haven't argued with them, nor has an insult been given to the other by either parties since?

Besides, if we create a group on Paltalk, you can appoint Admins to sort out repeatedly abusive users. All they need is a four digit code, from the person who creates the group, which can then be distributed to a number of trustworthy and responsible types.

> There's also a reason why people talk over MSN using letters instead
> of words, and it's because you can hold multiple conversations easily.
> Paltalk would be fine of you could only have one contact at a time,
> but otherwise, I don't see how it would work.

No, no... unlike software such as Roger Wilco, it's not a case of 2 people only. You misunderstand.

The room itself can hold any number of users, and they can all speak (quite frequently you'll find that if someone is yapping too much, other people manage to cut them off by speaking themselves) when they see fit, plus the text area means they can constantly be chatting with each other (everyone in the room, or private messages) through type.

I actually think it'd be a fairly decent experience if the SR posters all got together for a good natter, how many of you have actually spoken to each other, and heard your peer's voice? Certainly beats typing over something like MSN, and in no way is it meant as a replacement for a forum, just as another outside activity such as the multiplayer gaming that goes on here from time to time. You really ought to give it some thought.
Mon 30/09/02 at 17:48
Regular
"bit of a brain"
I don't think that Pointless Babble thought his topic through.
Think about it, how would we have organised, mass discussions (or debates) if everone was trying to speak at the same time. Then there would be all the people like you who would keep saying "You sound like an idiot", and then no one would want to use it.
There's also a reason why people talk over MSN using letters instead of words, and it's because you can hold multiple conversations easily. Paltalk would be fine of you could only have one contact at a time, but otherwise, I don't see how it would work.
Mon 30/09/02 at 17:08
Regular
"INSERT WITTY COMMEN"
Tribute wrote:
> ElfMan wrote:
> voice would be rubbish for SR, not many people are going to speak
> for
> an hour about there topics, and not many people will actually listen
> to them for them to earn a GAD!!
>
> Too true... Somethuing sensible from a newbie! *fants*

i'll have you know i use to be a regular who'd won a GAD, but i just happened to forget my account password *doh* a very newbieish thing to do i admit!!
Mon 30/09/02 at 16:58
Regular
"Festivus!"
ElfMan wrote:
> voice would be rubbish for SR, not many people are going to speak for
> an hour about there topics, and not many people will actually listen
> to them for them to earn a GAD!!

Too true... Somethuing sensible from a newbie! *fants*
Mon 30/09/02 at 16:19
Regular
"INSERT WITTY COMMEN"
voice would be rubbish for SR, not many people are going to speak for an hour about there topics, and not many people will actually listen to them for them to earn a GAD!!
Mon 30/09/02 at 15:51
Scared to let people hear you speak eh? ;)
You realise it actually comprises of a text chatroom, which you can also speak into using a hotkey? Was made like that so people without microphones could still join in, but again, those ones are usually only the people who can't afford one or are too scared to let others hear their voice. ;)
Mon 30/09/02 at 10:55
Regular
"Remember me?"
"See, now if you really wanted a laugh, you'd all be laughing at each other's accents/voices over a voice chat program."

That one sentence put me off getting that Paltalk thing forever.
Mon 30/09/02 at 04:47
Forum it is, but chat? Methinks not. :P
See, now if you really wanted a laugh, you'd all be laughing at each other's accents/voices over a voice chat program.

I occasionally use one to speak with a number of friends, I'd otherwise have to pay through the nose to phone, that being Paltalk. Which if it weren't for the confounded pop-ups, would be the perfect software for that purpose, given the audio quality is quite high and it doesn't lag much. Course, NoAds (southbaypc.com) does counter pop-ups to an extent. You can get Paltalk at paltalk.com (funnily enough), if anyone is interested.

I'm sure I wouldn't be the only person amused by an SR voice chat session.

*Enters goading mode*

Course... if none of you are man enough to speak into a microphone and have all your SR peers hear your dulcit tones... :D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.