GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Now THAT makes me angry..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 29/09/02 at 23:28
Regular
I'm normally a docile kind of guy, especially on a Saturday morning when this particular event happened. Around about 12 in the afternoon, when kids are watching stuff like SM:TV and that thing with Danni Behr, there was a programme on Channel 5 (sorry, five) called The Edge, which was obviously a kind of current affairs forum, but presented by radder-than-thou yoof presenters in front of a garishly colourful wall.

Anyway, my point is, they started talking about the conflict in Iraq. Perhaps not the kind of thing kids would want to watch on a Saturday morning when they could be watching sweaty men grab each other, but I watched anyway, to see how they handled it. I was surprised, to say the least. Now, the people on these forums who know me will vouch for the fact that I'm pretty easy-going, not offended by much and basically a chilled-out entertainer (...), but the way this programme was presented made my blood boil. Rather than present a balanced view of the events in Iraq, giving points of view from both sides, it was hopelessly anti-government and right wing, setting a quite frankly appalling example to any kids watching.

The first thing that got my goat was the Vernon Kaye-haired fella doing a voice-over for a feature.

"This week we look at other countries with appaling human rights records and ask 'Why don't you bomb them too, Tony?" What the fu...? Then they went on to talk about the dossier of evidence, and did so in such an insolent manner I almost threw my remote at the screen.

"Did you see that dossier Sarah/Britney/Whatever?"
"Yeah, it was a load of rubbish, wasn't it Vernon/Justin/Aaaron?"

They then continued to spout a load of rubbish about how Tony Blair is the cause of all corruption in the world, how he's Bush's lapdog etc. "Isn't the government terrible, Blair's a hypocrite, Let's bomb everyone!" Sarcastic remarks you may expect to hear from certain groups of anti-political people, but on kids TV? Since when have people been subjecting kids to this kind of thing? It was all Fingerbobs and The Moomins when I was a lad, I don't remember Andy Crane telling me to hate the Prime Minister and not believe a word he said.

My views on the Iraq thing are my own, and I respect other people's opinion, but for a kids TV programme to broadcast such a balanced, biased view of an event the size of something like a potential war really made me mad. I almost felt like writing to complain, but then I realised I was becoming a Daily Mail reader and stopped short.

I then had to have a shower to wash off dirt.

Yours angrily,
Grrrrr
Wed 02/10/02 at 16:20
Regular
"Conversation Killer"
lalakersrule wrote:
> Childrens TV went downhill after they took Transformers and Timmy
> Mallet off

Timmy mallet annoyed me. I say bring back Trap Door.
Wed 02/10/02 at 16:16
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Childrens TV went downhill after they took Transformers and Timmy Mallet off
Sun 29/09/02 at 23:39
Regular
"C'Mon Feel The Love"
Sorry for "quoting" all of you post Snuggly.

*says SORRY*
Sun 29/09/02 at 23:38
Regular
"C'Mon Feel The Love"
Mr.Snuggly wrote:
> I'm normally a docile kind of guy, especially on a Saturday morning
> when this particular event happened. Around about 12 in the
> afternoon, when kids are watching stuff like SM:TV and that thing with
> Danni Behr, there was a programme on Channel 5 (sorry, five) called
> The Edge, which was obviously a kind of current affairs forum, but
> presented by radder-than-thou yoof presenters in front of a garishly
> colourful wall.
>
> Anyway, my point is, they started talking about the conflict in Iraq.
> Perhaps not the kind of thing kids would want to watch on a Saturday
> morning when they could be watching sweaty men grab each other, but I
> watched anyway, to see how they handled it. I was surprised, to say
> the least. Now, the people on these forums who know me will vouch for
> the fact that I'm pretty easy-going, not offended by much and
> basically a chilled-out entertainer (...), but the way this programme
> was presented made my blood boil. Rather than present a balanced view
> of the events in Iraq, giving points of view from both sides, it was
> hopelessly anti-government and right wing, setting a quite frankly
> appalling example to any kids watching.
>
> The first thing that got my goat was the Vernon Kaye-haired fella
> doing a voice-over for a feature.
>
> "This week we look at other countries with appaling human rights
> records and ask 'Why don't you bomb them too, Tony?" What the
> fu...? Then they went on to talk about the dossier of evidence, and
> did so in such an insolent manner I almost threw my remote at the
> screen.
>
> "Did you see that dossier Sarah/Britney/Whatever?"
> "Yeah, it was a load of rubbish, wasn't it
> Vernon/Justin/Aaaron?"
>
> They then continued to spout a load of rubbish about how Tony Blair is
> the cause of all corruption in the world, how he's Bush's lapdog etc.
> "Isn't the government terrible, Blair's a hypocrite, Let's bomb
> everyone!" Sarcastic remarks you may expect to hear from certain
> groups of anti-political people, but on kids TV? Since when have
> people been subjecting kids to this kind of thing? It was all
> Fingerbobs and The Moomins when I was a lad, I don't remember Andy
> Crane telling me to hate the Prime Minister and not believe a word he
> said.
>
> My views on the Iraq thing are my own, and I respect other people's
> opinion, but for a kids TV programme to broadcast such a balanced,
> biased view of an event the size of something like a potential war
> really made me mad. I almost felt like writing to complain, but then
> I realised I was becoming a Daily Mail reader and stopped short.
>
> I then had to have a shower to wash off dirt.
>
> Yours angrily,
> Grrrrr

I see what you mean snuggly and i also respect other people's opinions, and that programme nearly made my mum make a complaint because of the Programme.

I hope you become more relaxed and let this float away if it makes your angry, if oyu can't let it go well make a complaint.
Sun 29/09/02 at 23:28
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
I'm normally a docile kind of guy, especially on a Saturday morning when this particular event happened. Around about 12 in the afternoon, when kids are watching stuff like SM:TV and that thing with Danni Behr, there was a programme on Channel 5 (sorry, five) called The Edge, which was obviously a kind of current affairs forum, but presented by radder-than-thou yoof presenters in front of a garishly colourful wall.

Anyway, my point is, they started talking about the conflict in Iraq. Perhaps not the kind of thing kids would want to watch on a Saturday morning when they could be watching sweaty men grab each other, but I watched anyway, to see how they handled it. I was surprised, to say the least. Now, the people on these forums who know me will vouch for the fact that I'm pretty easy-going, not offended by much and basically a chilled-out entertainer (...), but the way this programme was presented made my blood boil. Rather than present a balanced view of the events in Iraq, giving points of view from both sides, it was hopelessly anti-government and right wing, setting a quite frankly appalling example to any kids watching.

The first thing that got my goat was the Vernon Kaye-haired fella doing a voice-over for a feature.

"This week we look at other countries with appaling human rights records and ask 'Why don't you bomb them too, Tony?" What the fu...? Then they went on to talk about the dossier of evidence, and did so in such an insolent manner I almost threw my remote at the screen.

"Did you see that dossier Sarah/Britney/Whatever?"
"Yeah, it was a load of rubbish, wasn't it Vernon/Justin/Aaaron?"

They then continued to spout a load of rubbish about how Tony Blair is the cause of all corruption in the world, how he's Bush's lapdog etc. "Isn't the government terrible, Blair's a hypocrite, Let's bomb everyone!" Sarcastic remarks you may expect to hear from certain groups of anti-political people, but on kids TV? Since when have people been subjecting kids to this kind of thing? It was all Fingerbobs and The Moomins when I was a lad, I don't remember Andy Crane telling me to hate the Prime Minister and not believe a word he said.

My views on the Iraq thing are my own, and I respect other people's opinion, but for a kids TV programme to broadcast such a balanced, biased view of an event the size of something like a potential war really made me mad. I almost felt like writing to complain, but then I realised I was becoming a Daily Mail reader and stopped short.

I then had to have a shower to wash off dirt.

Yours angrily,
Grrrrr

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.