GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Is This A Dagger I See Before Me ?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 29/09/02 at 20:02
Regular
The plays of William Shakespeare are so technically excellent, fascinating and enjoyable that even today, hundreds of years after the Bard's death, they continue to be performed and watched, and inspire new films and plays.

Makes you wonder if there are any "Shakespearian" games amongst the thousands that have been released since games began, doesn't it ?

I don't mean the latest one hit wonder. You probably know what I mean, the games that are the "in" thing for a month or so and then disappear, replaced by another "in" game.

I mean the games that shine brighter than all around them, that set new standards and contain new ideas that went on to appear in other games. The Great Games. The games that in 10, 20, 30 years from now, will still be remembered.

Here are a few that could possibly be this kind of game, and why;

Mario (NES): The very first, decent, console platformer featuring everyone's favourite plumber. Introduced massive ranging levels, numerous power ups, and you didn't die instantly if hurt (if you were big Mario anyway !) Mario was also an important game because it's success opened the way for a veritable pile of follow ons and the platform genre as a whole. Without Mario, there would not be Sonic, Crash Bandicoot, Jak + Daxter..... The guy in the red cap started it all.

Metal Gear Solid (PSone): Intorduced gamers to the idea that winning wasn't just about killing everyone in your way, that brains could win over brawn, The mix of stealth/action gameplay, great graphics, and a superb movie style plot were all outstanding at the time. Again, this showed publishers that action game's didn't need a veritable pile of ammo to succeed. Rainbow Six, Splinter Cell, Hitman, and the god of stealth games, Metal Gear Solid 2, all followed on. Without Snake, we might all still be shooting through hordes of bad guys to win the day.

Resident Evil: (PSone): Started the whole survival horror genre singlehandedly. Also one of the first games to bother trying to scare people, and kinda succeeded sometimes ! The mix of avoiding enemies, limited ammo, and a creeky old house, gave a unique experience. From it came Dino Crisis, Onimusha, Silent Hill...and the rest of the Resident Evil series.

Command & Conquer (PC): Westwood's real time strategy game gave gamers their chance to command whole armies, and was responsible for a new dictionary word - "Tank Rush" (The art of building 100 odd tanks and attacking the enemy in unstoppable numbers). For this alone it should be remembered, but it let the flood gates open for RTS games to charge into many gamer's hearts.

Doom (PC): The daddy of FPS. Forget Perfect Dark, Timesplitters 2 e.t.c. ID Software had this original idea, and released it on Public Domain (anyone still remember that term ??) The rest, as they say, is history.

Finally...

Final Fantasy 7 (PSone): Not the first console RPG, but the first really playable and popular one to get mass appeal. The words Final Fantasy now command the attention of the whole industry, and owners of all the games systems love the franchise.

Of course, there are others, but it's a common theme that these Great Games all began as risks - never tried before ideas - that the publishers went ahead and tried, and succeeded. Also, why are there no pre NES games ? Jet Set Willy, Skool Daze e.t.c ? Well may Spectrum and C64 games are classics, but what they offered was mainly pure gameplay and it takes more than just gameplay to be truly outstanding.

~~Belldandy~~
Sun 29/09/02 at 21:10
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
There's easier ways to get people's attention I admit, titles like "Xbox Suckz" "olsen Twins" "Res Is Back" "Nintendo Rubbish" "kiddycube suckz" lol

~~Belldandy~~
Sun 29/09/02 at 20:29
Regular
"ProGolfer"
Now there away to catch everyones attention to get them in here. Firstly there is alot of people who have odne english gcse on here and must be sick of hakespere(i am) so you then put one of his quotes as the title. PURE GENIUS.
Sun 29/09/02 at 20:14
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Belldandy wrote:
> Doom (PC): The daddy of FPS. Forget Perfect Dark, Timesplitters 2
> e.t.c. ID Software had this original idea, and released it on Public
> Domain (anyone still remember that term ??) The rest, as they say, is
> history.

I was playing about with a FPS written in 1979 the other day... and still top stuff too!

> Of course, there are others, but it's a common theme that these Great
> Games all began as risks - never tried before ideas - that the
> publishers went ahead and tried, and succeeded. Also, why are there no
> pre NES games ? Jet Set Willy, Skool Daze e.t.c ? Well may Spectrum
> and C64 games are classics, but what they offered was mainly pure
> gameplay and it takes more than just gameplay to be truly
> outstanding.

I'd have thought the vast majority of gaming ideas game from the C64, Speccy computers... while the NES was utimatly dogged by samey titles, the C64 and Spectrum had games developed for them by thousands of people, working professionally, from their bedrooms, or in their lunch to create titles that wernt designed to reap a financial reward... Unlike NES developers trying to write another 'Mario' title, or 'double dragon' to cash in on the trend, these games were made purely to be enjoyed and to see if it could be done.
Sun 29/09/02 at 20:13
Regular
"i am fubby"
good post...if anyone really cares, anywho your'e probabaly gonna win a gad anyway
Sun 29/09/02 at 20:02
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
The plays of William Shakespeare are so technically excellent, fascinating and enjoyable that even today, hundreds of years after the Bard's death, they continue to be performed and watched, and inspire new films and plays.

Makes you wonder if there are any "Shakespearian" games amongst the thousands that have been released since games began, doesn't it ?

I don't mean the latest one hit wonder. You probably know what I mean, the games that are the "in" thing for a month or so and then disappear, replaced by another "in" game.

I mean the games that shine brighter than all around them, that set new standards and contain new ideas that went on to appear in other games. The Great Games. The games that in 10, 20, 30 years from now, will still be remembered.

Here are a few that could possibly be this kind of game, and why;

Mario (NES): The very first, decent, console platformer featuring everyone's favourite plumber. Introduced massive ranging levels, numerous power ups, and you didn't die instantly if hurt (if you were big Mario anyway !) Mario was also an important game because it's success opened the way for a veritable pile of follow ons and the platform genre as a whole. Without Mario, there would not be Sonic, Crash Bandicoot, Jak + Daxter..... The guy in the red cap started it all.

Metal Gear Solid (PSone): Intorduced gamers to the idea that winning wasn't just about killing everyone in your way, that brains could win over brawn, The mix of stealth/action gameplay, great graphics, and a superb movie style plot were all outstanding at the time. Again, this showed publishers that action game's didn't need a veritable pile of ammo to succeed. Rainbow Six, Splinter Cell, Hitman, and the god of stealth games, Metal Gear Solid 2, all followed on. Without Snake, we might all still be shooting through hordes of bad guys to win the day.

Resident Evil: (PSone): Started the whole survival horror genre singlehandedly. Also one of the first games to bother trying to scare people, and kinda succeeded sometimes ! The mix of avoiding enemies, limited ammo, and a creeky old house, gave a unique experience. From it came Dino Crisis, Onimusha, Silent Hill...and the rest of the Resident Evil series.

Command & Conquer (PC): Westwood's real time strategy game gave gamers their chance to command whole armies, and was responsible for a new dictionary word - "Tank Rush" (The art of building 100 odd tanks and attacking the enemy in unstoppable numbers). For this alone it should be remembered, but it let the flood gates open for RTS games to charge into many gamer's hearts.

Doom (PC): The daddy of FPS. Forget Perfect Dark, Timesplitters 2 e.t.c. ID Software had this original idea, and released it on Public Domain (anyone still remember that term ??) The rest, as they say, is history.

Finally...

Final Fantasy 7 (PSone): Not the first console RPG, but the first really playable and popular one to get mass appeal. The words Final Fantasy now command the attention of the whole industry, and owners of all the games systems love the franchise.

Of course, there are others, but it's a common theme that these Great Games all began as risks - never tried before ideas - that the publishers went ahead and tried, and succeeded. Also, why are there no pre NES games ? Jet Set Willy, Skool Daze e.t.c ? Well may Spectrum and C64 games are classics, but what they offered was mainly pure gameplay and it takes more than just gameplay to be truly outstanding.

~~Belldandy~~

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.