GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Game Network"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 28/09/02 at 16:31
Regular
For those of you who have Sky Digital and watch channel 223 daily like I do, you might probably think it's all good.
The first dedicated 24 hour gaming channel. Must be worth a watch right?
But is it?
Whenever I switch on, I nearly always find "Double Life" on - where people spend upto 50p sending in a text message, and waste their money chatting as their messages come up on screen, non stop for an hour or so.
If there's not that, then there's the "Legend of Mir" - which I must say I have never heard of, where we are shown someone (who's obviously not all that good) playing the game for hours on end.
Or "Myth of Soma", again of which I have never heard. The same thing happens here.
For those of you who like these games, or like spending a lot of money texting in and getting your words up in red, green and blue, I'm sure it's all well worthwhile.
But I feel that there may well be a lot of people who don't, so I'm wondering whether there should be any sort of cutdown on the time length of those shows.

As mentioned above, I watch admit that I watch Game Network daily. I wouldn't if I didn't see glimpses of things that interest me on there. This doesn't mean that I watch it all day. I merely watch it when I find a program with a variety of gaming information is on. That's when it's at its best.
Game clip. Shows random sections of the latest games released with random soundtracks - occasionally we are treated to the game's original soundtrack. Probably the best segment of the lot.
Other sections of interest are coverage of E3 and other Expo's - which Game network does pretty well. Though I'm not sure if it repeats these programs all that much. Headline news is usually up to date and is worth watching. We rarely see any presenters though - which could be a good thing, but I think it takes away from the channel, and GN ought to put in more shows, or game related programs with presenters, rather than mainly relying on virtual text chat and playing game previews over again.

More recently, they've had some good programs on the launches of Turok Evolution and Capcom's upcoming games, with the heads of PR talking to the channel. More of this sort of thing would be good.

What thinks you?
Sat 28/09/02 at 16:51
I put it on, flick it off if anything but Gameclip or gameplay or whatever its called is on.
Sat 28/09/02 at 16:48
Regular
"The Ocarina of Time"
I don't know if you read my post properly, but I did say I didn't watch it all day, but just tuned into it every day whenever something interesting might have been on...

Anyway, yeah it has become a lot worse than before, and despite having heard about Myth of Soma for the last year and a half, I still haven't seen or ever heard of the game anywhere, etc..

It's a shame that the first "dedicated" 24 hr gaming channel has become like this...
Sat 28/09/02 at 16:39
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Ocarina wrote:
> For those of you who have Sky Digital and watch channel 223 daily like
> I do, you might probably think it's all good.

That's sad...

It was good when they had the little programs showing you a taster of new games, but now they have no shows on at all...

I'm not sad enough to watch it all the time though, I'll just flick onto it...

Basically it's crap now!
Sat 28/09/02 at 16:31
Regular
"The Ocarina of Time"
For those of you who have Sky Digital and watch channel 223 daily like I do, you might probably think it's all good.
The first dedicated 24 hour gaming channel. Must be worth a watch right?
But is it?
Whenever I switch on, I nearly always find "Double Life" on - where people spend upto 50p sending in a text message, and waste their money chatting as their messages come up on screen, non stop for an hour or so.
If there's not that, then there's the "Legend of Mir" - which I must say I have never heard of, where we are shown someone (who's obviously not all that good) playing the game for hours on end.
Or "Myth of Soma", again of which I have never heard. The same thing happens here.
For those of you who like these games, or like spending a lot of money texting in and getting your words up in red, green and blue, I'm sure it's all well worthwhile.
But I feel that there may well be a lot of people who don't, so I'm wondering whether there should be any sort of cutdown on the time length of those shows.

As mentioned above, I watch admit that I watch Game Network daily. I wouldn't if I didn't see glimpses of things that interest me on there. This doesn't mean that I watch it all day. I merely watch it when I find a program with a variety of gaming information is on. That's when it's at its best.
Game clip. Shows random sections of the latest games released with random soundtracks - occasionally we are treated to the game's original soundtrack. Probably the best segment of the lot.
Other sections of interest are coverage of E3 and other Expo's - which Game network does pretty well. Though I'm not sure if it repeats these programs all that much. Headline news is usually up to date and is worth watching. We rarely see any presenters though - which could be a good thing, but I think it takes away from the channel, and GN ought to put in more shows, or game related programs with presenters, rather than mainly relying on virtual text chat and playing game previews over again.

More recently, they've had some good programs on the launches of Turok Evolution and Capcom's upcoming games, with the heads of PR talking to the channel. More of this sort of thing would be good.

What thinks you?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.