GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Mystery in Super Mario World?????"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 28/09/02 at 14:28
Regular
Way back in August of 1992, at about 6pm one fine summery evening, I finally completed Super Mario World for the good old SNES. I was thrilled as I saw the story end happily, and the good old "goodbye-till-the-next-game" music played with the credits.
When I completed it, I saw the number 96 by the file that I had saved it as, and was ecstatic about completing a game with 96 levels in it, after having read so much about these 96 levels (plus sub games) over the past year or so
Despite it ending, I still wanted to play, so I carried on, going over some levels, particularly those nasty ones in Star Road that lead to those such as Gnarly, and Tuber-something. They were some of the hardest levels I'd played in any game ever. Anyway, I plugged at them, again and again and carried on under the same saved file, till one day to my surprise I switched on my SNES for a go at Super Mario World, and found my file had renamed itself as 96*!!!

96 with a Gold Star next to it.

(My initial thought was "UG?........ Wicked!")

Other mates of mine had played SMW to death on their SNES's but none had managed to get a star by their 96. I have absolutely NO idea what I did to get that star by my filename, but it made me happy that I'd somehow apparently gone further on the game than they had. Unfortunately, I became cocky and thought I could do it all over again, and wiped the cartridge so I no longer have that file.

With the release of Mario Kart and other titles, I didn't play SMW as much anymore, and to this day, have yet to recreate that magical Star by the 96 levels in the filename as I complete it.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Does anyone else know what the Gold Star is meant for?
Sat 28/09/02 at 15:49
Regular
"The Ocarina of Time"
Lol sure u can :)

My ideal game list (for the moment) is as follows..

EA F1 2002, Resident Evil, Super Mario Sunshine, Timesplitters 2, Eternal Darkness, Starfox Adventures, Metroid Prime, The Legend of Zelda...

Imagine being delivered those by a Nintendo representative, along with a 70 inch official Nintendo/Toshiba Plasma Screen to play them on...

*Collapses*

Of course, I shall gladly take as many other games as Nintendo chooses to send me too..

:D :D
Sat 28/09/02 at 15:47
Regular
"Festivus!"
I was talking to Oracrina after Nintendo annouce they are going to give the 'star' game owner free hardware etc.
Sat 28/09/02 at 15:43
Regular
"Balls"
i only have one
Sat 28/09/02 at 15:42
Regular
"Festivus!"
Can I have one of you gamecubes please?
Sat 28/09/02 at 15:39
Regular
"The Ocarina of Time"
Man I hope so. Just imagine the press coverage in the gaming news... :D :D :D
And unlimited Nintendo games and hardware...

*Drools*
Sat 28/09/02 at 15:34
Regular
"Festivus!"
its a possibility... I wonder what the odds would be if you put a bet on at the bookies... 1 billion to 1... *prays there is only one with a star*
Sat 28/09/02 at 15:31
Regular
"The Ocarina of Time"
Better get doing frequent and lo-o-ong posts then that have nothing that makes sense in them.... (Just kidding)

Haven't found much on Mario World Google searches... Maybe.. Just maybe..
Sat 28/09/02 at 15:31
Regular
"Festivus!"
Look just above this post for a 'top posters' link
Sat 28/09/02 at 15:30
Regular
"Balls"
were did you see this?
Sat 28/09/02 at 15:28
Regular
"Festivus!"
I'm very proud of being top poster, especially beating gerrid. :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.