GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Rareware Affair."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 28/09/02 at 00:01
Regular
Its no longer a subject shrouded in secrecy and clandestine activities. For what seems like months now there have been whisperings and rumours doing the rounds in the computer gaming world. The rumours were greeted with skepticism at best. However as it has transpired there was truth in these blurbs.

In what Microsoft no doubt regard as a swift and cunning move, they swiped Rare "From under the nose of Nintendo". Or at least thats what we are being led to believe. Had Nintendo really wanted to clutch at Rare with its expanding tendrils, it could easily have held onto its 49% share.

In light of this its fairly obvious that Nintendo were not overly keen in keeping the developer to itself, and indeed as its unlikely that Rare would bite the hand feeding it, particularly considering their patience, it can also be assumed that Nintendo were perhaps the boot that kicked Rare out of the door.

Rareware were a software house which really came to the forefront during the spectrum era, however they faded somewhat during the Snes/Mega drive Era, until they released the awesome donkey kong country.

However i would say their main claim to fame was in the now classic Goldeneye 007, which was the game which i bought an N64 for, after i played it at my cousins. The game was incredible, and was really a genre defining title, in league with the likes of half life.

Perhaps this blockbuster title was ultimately Rare's achilles heel. Shortly after Goldeneye's release a splinter group formed Free Radical Design, which came up with Timesplitters, and the eagerly awaited Timesplitters 2. Any loss of staff is a blow, and the abscence of key staff members are missed more.

Rare continued to beaver away, releasing the Banjo games as well as a few others. However all eyes were really on Perfect dark. The true successor to Goldeneye is all the advertisment you needed. Expectations were high, and if done correctly would seal the reputation of Rare in gaming history forever.

Unfortunately things didnt quite go to plan. Somewhere along the lines there was the introduction of martians, and particularly one called elvis [cringe]. Whilst the game had a multitude of options and unlockables, it couldnt carry the same "feel" as Goldeneye. Probably due to the inaccessability of the plot, which at times bordered on the bizarre.

From then on the only real connection between Rare and Nintendo was Starfox Adventures. Whilst Perfect Dark Zero was bound to be in development, the air tight doors at Rare were exactly that. Whilst i cant deny i was excited about perfect dark, its not likely to happen on Gamecube [sigh].

But now Rare are gone. And now i look back on it, im not so sad. Microsoft have not only tried to raise their profile by buying a software house which is on everyones tongue, but have lined Nintendo's pockets in the process. Rare are a ridiculously slow developer. And it seems to be that Microsoft are looking for quick results for boosting sales. And i can't help but think Rare arent the developers to fit that bill.

Thanks for reading.
Sat 28/09/02 at 00:01
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Its no longer a subject shrouded in secrecy and clandestine activities. For what seems like months now there have been whisperings and rumours doing the rounds in the computer gaming world. The rumours were greeted with skepticism at best. However as it has transpired there was truth in these blurbs.

In what Microsoft no doubt regard as a swift and cunning move, they swiped Rare "From under the nose of Nintendo". Or at least thats what we are being led to believe. Had Nintendo really wanted to clutch at Rare with its expanding tendrils, it could easily have held onto its 49% share.

In light of this its fairly obvious that Nintendo were not overly keen in keeping the developer to itself, and indeed as its unlikely that Rare would bite the hand feeding it, particularly considering their patience, it can also be assumed that Nintendo were perhaps the boot that kicked Rare out of the door.

Rareware were a software house which really came to the forefront during the spectrum era, however they faded somewhat during the Snes/Mega drive Era, until they released the awesome donkey kong country.

However i would say their main claim to fame was in the now classic Goldeneye 007, which was the game which i bought an N64 for, after i played it at my cousins. The game was incredible, and was really a genre defining title, in league with the likes of half life.

Perhaps this blockbuster title was ultimately Rare's achilles heel. Shortly after Goldeneye's release a splinter group formed Free Radical Design, which came up with Timesplitters, and the eagerly awaited Timesplitters 2. Any loss of staff is a blow, and the abscence of key staff members are missed more.

Rare continued to beaver away, releasing the Banjo games as well as a few others. However all eyes were really on Perfect dark. The true successor to Goldeneye is all the advertisment you needed. Expectations were high, and if done correctly would seal the reputation of Rare in gaming history forever.

Unfortunately things didnt quite go to plan. Somewhere along the lines there was the introduction of martians, and particularly one called elvis [cringe]. Whilst the game had a multitude of options and unlockables, it couldnt carry the same "feel" as Goldeneye. Probably due to the inaccessability of the plot, which at times bordered on the bizarre.

From then on the only real connection between Rare and Nintendo was Starfox Adventures. Whilst Perfect Dark Zero was bound to be in development, the air tight doors at Rare were exactly that. Whilst i cant deny i was excited about perfect dark, its not likely to happen on Gamecube [sigh].

But now Rare are gone. And now i look back on it, im not so sad. Microsoft have not only tried to raise their profile by buying a software house which is on everyones tongue, but have lined Nintendo's pockets in the process. Rare are a ridiculously slow developer. And it seems to be that Microsoft are looking for quick results for boosting sales. And i can't help but think Rare arent the developers to fit that bill.

Thanks for reading.
Sat 28/09/02 at 11:35
"possibly impossible"
Good post, but I think with that much money going in to buying the software company, Microsoft will ensure that the results are favourable. I don't think they will sit back and let Rare dish out any old rubbish.

But Rare is only one software company in a sea of others, it won't really make any big differences past the headlines it is currently churning out, as you say, Nintendo have made a good profit from it, lets hope they use the money wisely.

I think the bigger story is Sega's recent comments that they were thinking of committing to one platform.
Sat 28/09/02 at 18:34
Let me remind you - this may not be true. Rumours s**tart about Rare ALL the time, and Rare have made no comment or sign yet about this "Rumour" of moving to Microsoft. Microsoft couldn't have jus**t s**tepped in like that and bought Rare for £250 million - There would have been a big battle with Nintendo firs**t. This could jus**t be complete sh*t, s**tarted by someone on a website. I found out about this on BBC Ceefax P535 - after looking that the Rare article I looked at other things, and they were also complete sh*t. Remember, it's not true yet, Rare could s**till be with Nintendo - People have been led to believing anything about Rare in the pas**t.

We'll jus**t have to wait and see, but if Rare are really bought then they have thrown away hundreds of millions on sales, if you look on the N64, all of Rare's games sold by the bucketload, Starfox Adventures will on the GC, and if PDZero comes out, it will sell by the bucketload.
Sat 28/09/02 at 18:42
omg. Prove me wrong - www.rareware.com - they claim to have been bought. They have wasted Nintendo after such a long time of making amazing games for them. I hate Microsoft. I hate Microsoft. If I ever get my hands of a free X-Box, ill smash it, burn it, stamp on it, rip it apart (and ill make a site with photos of me doing it)
Sat 28/09/02 at 19:16
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Ummm...MeEkY, i think you should maybe get a cup of tea or something. Maybe a chocolate digestive at the same time.
Sat 28/09/02 at 19:38
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
Can I have a digestive?

Just a plain one?
Sat 28/09/02 at 19:41
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Fuzzy wrote:
> Can I have a digestive?
>
> Just a plain one?

Sorry ive only got chocolate.

How about a cadbury's finger?
Sat 28/09/02 at 19:56
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
Mmm...yes please!
Mon 30/09/02 at 19:23
Regular
"Yaarrgghh!"
My favourite word is bik!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.