GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Racism in Football"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 27/09/02 at 17:27
Regular
We all saw Arsenal 'whoop' Dutch-butt on Wednesday night 4-0 in a game where Brazillian midfielder Gilberto Silva (known as just 'Gilberto') scored one of the quickest goals in Champions' League History - if not the quickest ahead of Del Piero's goal at Old Trafford a few years back. Anyway...
If you were also watching that match closely from Kick-Off to Full Time or if you took a good look at the Papers the day after with their match reports and other stories, then you will have surely noticed the one thing that came close to spoilling a fantastic night for Arsenal FC, and that was the Racist Abuse aimed towards no-one other-than French World Cup Winner and goalscorer on the night; Thierry Henry.

Racism. One of the worst things to have hit Football in a long-time. And to many it is considered to be just as-bad-as - if not worse than - the Financial Problems that have sent bucket-loads of Lower League clubs into Administration as they edge closer-and-closer to Liquidation and Extinction.
I personally had thought that everyone related to Football had moved-on from the 20th Century and into the 21st as much better people. But it seems I am wrong. And that Racism still exist today, even right at the top at clubs just like PSV Eindhoven.

If Ali G was the main-target on Wednesday night in Eindhoven, instead of Henry, then he would've surely asked the fans in an Interview after the match: "Iz it cuz I iz black?" And to be honest.... the answer to that question has to be a yes - or "Ai."

Now being Racist, or even abusing or treating someone differently just because of their skin colour or natural origin is just plain wrong - and you should all know that.
If not, then you deserve to be lobbed "Nayim-style" more times than the overall Percentage of play Arsenal had during the entire 90 minutes against PSV!
But WHY these Dutch fans were hurling Missiles and just about everything-else the could find (besdies the Kitchen Sink) at last season's To Scorer is still a mystery to us all. But it seems likely that he has been targetted just because of his natural skin colour, and not because of his world-wide reputation or Fish-like lips.

To victimise players from all-around the world just because of the colour of their skin or even their Nationallity is rediculous. Some of the World's greatest and most-dazzling players are naturally Dark Skinned, just take a look at this list...

Let's start off by looking at the remainder of the Arsenal team now shall we?
Well, for a start, there's the Brazillian International Gilberto - the man who scored the first goal in around 20 seconds. Yet he had nothing throw in his direction, and he's black. Then there's Patrick Vieira - another Frenchman. He's been racially abused in the past in Italy against Lazio in this same competition. Yet he is still regarded as one of the World's most-valuable Defensive Midfielders with his Spider-like legs. Now let's not forget Ashley Cole! While he may be more of player who will go for other players, he's still black, and he's the best Left Back England have (according to Mr.Eriksson). A few other names come to mind... Lauren the talented right-back from Cameroon, Sylvain Wiltord, ANOTHER Frenchman who's had a real eye-for-goal this season, and of course, Sol Campbell. Apparently a 'Die Hard Spurs Fan' who is only really likely to get a lashing from the White Hart Lane faithfull.

And that's just Arsenal, the high-flying Premiership Champions.
What about on the World Stage, what about... Brazil....
You may not want to admit it as an England fan after the Summer's World Cup, but Brazil are undoubtabley the World's No.1 team after retainning the Trophy thanks to a squad filled-to-the-brim with talented players that include Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho, the 'World's No.1 Left-Back' Roberto Carlos, and that's just today!
In the past this same country has also been represented by the likes of Romario and the pint-sized star Bebeto, aswell as one of the All-Time greats; 'Pelé'!
Now how can any fan disrespect players who are undoubtabley some of the best in the World - if not the best full-stop!?

But just how wrong can they be. Presuming they were all Dutch (from being at a big PSV home game in Europe and-all), surely they must have noticed that their very-own National Team isn't just a load-of Jaap Stam's and Ruud van Nistelrooys with Van Der Saar in-goal?? Yep, there are some coloured players in their too - and quite a few too who have had a big impact in the past.
2 of the most-feared strikers in Europe are dark-skinned, and they go by the names of Patrick Kluivert and Jimmy-Floyd Hasselbaink. Surely these Racist PSV fans wouldn't do the same to these guys as what they have done to Henry?? Without Kluivert, now that Bergkamp has quite the International scene, there attack would be lacking, seriously lacking! And then there are the Midfield players...
Edgar Davids and Clarence Seedorf have been rated VERY-highly indeed during the last few years, grabbing the attention of the likes of Sir Alex Ferguson and Arséne Wenger alike, aswell as a number of top-managers in Italy and Spain too. Remember Aaron Winter? What a player he was for Ajax. He may be close to calling it all a day now, but he will always be remembered by all people from the Netherlands - just like Van Basten and Cruyff are (Johan Cruyff, of course!).
Stepping-back into the defence and we have Michael Reiziger, a long-term target of both Manchester United and Arsenal, Winston Bogarde of Cheslea, and even Mario Melchiot of Chelsea has made it to-the-top with his attacking style of play as a full-back. If these players were part of the England team and I was one of the fans lugging items onto the pitch, I would think twice, and twice-again, about what i'm doing!

Racism is very wrong, and we all know it. What we also know is that it is something that effects some of the greatest players on the World Stage today - and that can only effect their World-Class performances on the pitch.
Something needs to be done to Kick Racism out of Football for good - and a few adverts on the latest Championship Manager game isn't enough!
FIFA and all other Governing Bodies of the Footballing World need to come together and produce a fool-proof plan that will see Racism dissapear just like Bradford City almost did, rather than it turn into another 'Own-Goal' mistake like this whole Wembley Stadium fiasco - which 'appears' to be solved now.
Let us hope they can solve this on-going problem too - and soon!

It's like Michael Jackson once said... "It don't matter if you're black or white".
Hopefully we won't have to go as-far as he did in-order to prove this to the world! :S
Fri 27/09/02 at 17:27
Regular
"Long time no see!"
We all saw Arsenal 'whoop' Dutch-butt on Wednesday night 4-0 in a game where Brazillian midfielder Gilberto Silva (known as just 'Gilberto') scored one of the quickest goals in Champions' League History - if not the quickest ahead of Del Piero's goal at Old Trafford a few years back. Anyway...
If you were also watching that match closely from Kick-Off to Full Time or if you took a good look at the Papers the day after with their match reports and other stories, then you will have surely noticed the one thing that came close to spoilling a fantastic night for Arsenal FC, and that was the Racist Abuse aimed towards no-one other-than French World Cup Winner and goalscorer on the night; Thierry Henry.

Racism. One of the worst things to have hit Football in a long-time. And to many it is considered to be just as-bad-as - if not worse than - the Financial Problems that have sent bucket-loads of Lower League clubs into Administration as they edge closer-and-closer to Liquidation and Extinction.
I personally had thought that everyone related to Football had moved-on from the 20th Century and into the 21st as much better people. But it seems I am wrong. And that Racism still exist today, even right at the top at clubs just like PSV Eindhoven.

If Ali G was the main-target on Wednesday night in Eindhoven, instead of Henry, then he would've surely asked the fans in an Interview after the match: "Iz it cuz I iz black?" And to be honest.... the answer to that question has to be a yes - or "Ai."

Now being Racist, or even abusing or treating someone differently just because of their skin colour or natural origin is just plain wrong - and you should all know that.
If not, then you deserve to be lobbed "Nayim-style" more times than the overall Percentage of play Arsenal had during the entire 90 minutes against PSV!
But WHY these Dutch fans were hurling Missiles and just about everything-else the could find (besdies the Kitchen Sink) at last season's To Scorer is still a mystery to us all. But it seems likely that he has been targetted just because of his natural skin colour, and not because of his world-wide reputation or Fish-like lips.

To victimise players from all-around the world just because of the colour of their skin or even their Nationallity is rediculous. Some of the World's greatest and most-dazzling players are naturally Dark Skinned, just take a look at this list...

Let's start off by looking at the remainder of the Arsenal team now shall we?
Well, for a start, there's the Brazillian International Gilberto - the man who scored the first goal in around 20 seconds. Yet he had nothing throw in his direction, and he's black. Then there's Patrick Vieira - another Frenchman. He's been racially abused in the past in Italy against Lazio in this same competition. Yet he is still regarded as one of the World's most-valuable Defensive Midfielders with his Spider-like legs. Now let's not forget Ashley Cole! While he may be more of player who will go for other players, he's still black, and he's the best Left Back England have (according to Mr.Eriksson). A few other names come to mind... Lauren the talented right-back from Cameroon, Sylvain Wiltord, ANOTHER Frenchman who's had a real eye-for-goal this season, and of course, Sol Campbell. Apparently a 'Die Hard Spurs Fan' who is only really likely to get a lashing from the White Hart Lane faithfull.

And that's just Arsenal, the high-flying Premiership Champions.
What about on the World Stage, what about... Brazil....
You may not want to admit it as an England fan after the Summer's World Cup, but Brazil are undoubtabley the World's No.1 team after retainning the Trophy thanks to a squad filled-to-the-brim with talented players that include Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho, the 'World's No.1 Left-Back' Roberto Carlos, and that's just today!
In the past this same country has also been represented by the likes of Romario and the pint-sized star Bebeto, aswell as one of the All-Time greats; 'Pelé'!
Now how can any fan disrespect players who are undoubtabley some of the best in the World - if not the best full-stop!?

But just how wrong can they be. Presuming they were all Dutch (from being at a big PSV home game in Europe and-all), surely they must have noticed that their very-own National Team isn't just a load-of Jaap Stam's and Ruud van Nistelrooys with Van Der Saar in-goal?? Yep, there are some coloured players in their too - and quite a few too who have had a big impact in the past.
2 of the most-feared strikers in Europe are dark-skinned, and they go by the names of Patrick Kluivert and Jimmy-Floyd Hasselbaink. Surely these Racist PSV fans wouldn't do the same to these guys as what they have done to Henry?? Without Kluivert, now that Bergkamp has quite the International scene, there attack would be lacking, seriously lacking! And then there are the Midfield players...
Edgar Davids and Clarence Seedorf have been rated VERY-highly indeed during the last few years, grabbing the attention of the likes of Sir Alex Ferguson and Arséne Wenger alike, aswell as a number of top-managers in Italy and Spain too. Remember Aaron Winter? What a player he was for Ajax. He may be close to calling it all a day now, but he will always be remembered by all people from the Netherlands - just like Van Basten and Cruyff are (Johan Cruyff, of course!).
Stepping-back into the defence and we have Michael Reiziger, a long-term target of both Manchester United and Arsenal, Winston Bogarde of Cheslea, and even Mario Melchiot of Chelsea has made it to-the-top with his attacking style of play as a full-back. If these players were part of the England team and I was one of the fans lugging items onto the pitch, I would think twice, and twice-again, about what i'm doing!

Racism is very wrong, and we all know it. What we also know is that it is something that effects some of the greatest players on the World Stage today - and that can only effect their World-Class performances on the pitch.
Something needs to be done to Kick Racism out of Football for good - and a few adverts on the latest Championship Manager game isn't enough!
FIFA and all other Governing Bodies of the Footballing World need to come together and produce a fool-proof plan that will see Racism dissapear just like Bradford City almost did, rather than it turn into another 'Own-Goal' mistake like this whole Wembley Stadium fiasco - which 'appears' to be solved now.
Let us hope they can solve this on-going problem too - and soon!

It's like Michael Jackson once said... "It don't matter if you're black or white".
Hopefully we won't have to go as-far as he did in-order to prove this to the world! :S
Mon 30/09/02 at 21:22
Regular
"Yaarrgghh!"
Racism is one of the most disgusting things that exist on the face of the Earth. Some may say that as a white boy I should not feel so strongly about this but I do.

All racists should imagine a world where they were discriminated against for something about them.

And now, as if the fact that they are racist isn't bad enough, they have to ruin sport as well!

Rot deep in hell, racists. Deep, deep down.
Tue 01/10/02 at 11:03
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I'm glad you agree with me - strongly too.

I used to think that Money was one of the worst things in today's game and that Racism had finally died-down. But after that Arsenal game last week, it all became clear to me that this kind-of thing is still big - especially in Holland, where some of the World's Biggest Names like Bergkamp and van Nistelrooy have come from!

It's disgracefull.
I don't know what's been done to those Henry-abusers, but they deserve to be banned from PSV's Home Ground alone for Life! And that's the minimum punishment they should get!!

But how we're going to rid Football of Racis 'full-stop' is another problem... Football is so-big all-around the world that it could take another 20 years before the problem is even close-to being fully-resolved!
Thu 10/10/02 at 16:40
Regular
"Wobble"
UEFA 'have a 10-point plan' to combat racism, apparently.

http://www.football365.com/All_News /European_News/story_43303.shtml

(Remove 1 space)

-----

1. Issue a statement saying the club will not tolerate racism, spelling out the action it will take against those engaged in racist chanting. The statement should be printed in all match programmes and displayed permanently and prominently around the ground.

2. Make public address announcements condemning racist chanting at matches.

3. Make it a condition for season ticket holders that they do not take part in racist abuse.

4. Take action to prevent the sale of racist literature inside and around the ground.

5. Take disciplinary action against players who engage in racial abuse.

6. Contact other clubs to make sure they understand the club's policy on racism.

7. Encourage a common strategy between stewards and police for dealing with racist abuse.

8. Remove all racist graffiti from the ground as a matter of urgency.

9. Adopt an equal opportunities policy in relation to employment and service provision.

10. Work with all other groups and agencies, such as the players union, supporters, schools, voluntary organisations, youth clubs, sponsors, local authorities, local businesses and police, to develop pro-active programmes and make progress to raise awareness of campaigning to eliminate racial abuse and discrimination.

-----

Now - is it just me, or shouldn't they have been doing all of that already?
Thu 10/10/02 at 17:44
"Darth Vader 3442321"
I think that Henry and Viera et al can have the last laugh: they just keep playing and ignore the abuse. The people shouting abuse feel threatened by these players and will only triumph if they get a reaction from them. If I was Henry I would ignore the lame comments and think about two things: doing everything in my power to win the game and how much money I am earning.
Thu 10/10/02 at 19:09
Regular
"Baros!!!"
Racism is the worst thing in football. As Henry said, he doesn't mind been called names and people taking the micky out of him when he misses a clear shance, but one thing he can't stand is all this racism.

I also think that racism in English football has calmed down alot, but in other countries, it is getting worse.

UEFA should hurry up and sort out this problem.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.