GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Rare acquisition for Microsoft is all about Xbox 2 v PlayStation 3"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 26/09/02 at 16:20
Regular
As nabbed from the ever informative Silicon.com....

'Microsoft's purchase of UK games developer Rare will help the console maker to compete against Sony when the next-generation Xbox console goes up against the PlayStation 3, according to analysts.

Research group Forrester believes the deal - under which Microsoft has paid $375m for the UK games firm - will only have a limited impact on Xbox sales in the short term. The real benefit, Forrester thinks, will come when Microsoft launches Xbox 2.

"Microsoft is paying a high price for UK games firm Rare and won't get key titles such as Donkey Kong. The short-term impact on sales of Microsoft's Xbox console will be limited. Unless the move starts a round of acquisitions known (which is possible but not likely), the real impact is likely to come in the next console battle - Xbox 2 versus Sony's PlayStation 3," wrote Forrester analyst Frederic Diot in a research note published on Tuesday.

Rare has created a number of successful computer games, including Donkey Kong 64, Star Fox and GoldenEye 007.

Nintendo, which previously owned a 49 per cent stake in the company, is retaining the rights to some Rare-affiliated franchises including Donkey Kong and Star Fox. Microsoft has rights to produce sequels to more recent Rare games such as Banjo-Kazooie, Conker's Bad Fur Day and Perfect Dark.

The price of the Xbox has been cut twice in the UK since the console was launched in March this year, fuelling the belief that it is not performing well against Sony's PS2.

According to Forrester, the purchase of Rare shows how much of its resources Microsoft is willing to dedicate to securing the Xbox's position in the console market.

"Looking at this move alongside the recent Xbox price cut, it seems that short-term console profitability simply isn't a consideration," Diot wrote. "Effectively, the move strengthens the Xbox 2 against the PS3 but at a high price."

In the long term, Diot said, Microsoft needs to create compelling and exclusive games if it is to be a winner in the gaming sector.

Graeme Wearden writes for ZDNet.co.uk. News.com's David Becker contributed to this story.'
Thu 26/09/02 at 16:20
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
As nabbed from the ever informative Silicon.com....

'Microsoft's purchase of UK games developer Rare will help the console maker to compete against Sony when the next-generation Xbox console goes up against the PlayStation 3, according to analysts.

Research group Forrester believes the deal - under which Microsoft has paid $375m for the UK games firm - will only have a limited impact on Xbox sales in the short term. The real benefit, Forrester thinks, will come when Microsoft launches Xbox 2.

"Microsoft is paying a high price for UK games firm Rare and won't get key titles such as Donkey Kong. The short-term impact on sales of Microsoft's Xbox console will be limited. Unless the move starts a round of acquisitions known (which is possible but not likely), the real impact is likely to come in the next console battle - Xbox 2 versus Sony's PlayStation 3," wrote Forrester analyst Frederic Diot in a research note published on Tuesday.

Rare has created a number of successful computer games, including Donkey Kong 64, Star Fox and GoldenEye 007.

Nintendo, which previously owned a 49 per cent stake in the company, is retaining the rights to some Rare-affiliated franchises including Donkey Kong and Star Fox. Microsoft has rights to produce sequels to more recent Rare games such as Banjo-Kazooie, Conker's Bad Fur Day and Perfect Dark.

The price of the Xbox has been cut twice in the UK since the console was launched in March this year, fuelling the belief that it is not performing well against Sony's PS2.

According to Forrester, the purchase of Rare shows how much of its resources Microsoft is willing to dedicate to securing the Xbox's position in the console market.

"Looking at this move alongside the recent Xbox price cut, it seems that short-term console profitability simply isn't a consideration," Diot wrote. "Effectively, the move strengthens the Xbox 2 against the PS3 but at a high price."

In the long term, Diot said, Microsoft needs to create compelling and exclusive games if it is to be a winner in the gaming sector.

Graeme Wearden writes for ZDNet.co.uk. News.com's David Becker contributed to this story.'
Thu 26/09/02 at 16:21
Regular
"i am fubby"
WOULD EVERYONE SHUT UP ABOUT RARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thu 26/09/02 at 16:28
Regular
Shadowblade wrote:
> WOULD EVERYONE SHUT UP ABOUT RARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you Greek?
Thu 26/09/02 at 17:06
Regular
"Jags is teh l33t"
lmao ROFL lol

GO EDGY :D
Thu 26/09/02 at 17:40
"The Will of D."
WHY Would anyone be dumb and stupid enough to cll the next Consoles "Xbox 2 and PS3"?
Sony already did with the playstation 2 and it didn't work out well for them when the others came out.
Also "SHUT UP ABOUT RARE!"
Thu 26/09/02 at 17:46
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Well if Microsoft do make an Xbox 2 i wonder if they will be selling it in Japan?
Thu 26/09/02 at 17:49
Regular
"Festivus!"
cookie monster wrote:
> Well if Microsoft do make an Xbox 2 i wonder if they will be selling
> it in Japan?

I wonder if they'll sell... full stop
Thu 26/09/02 at 17:53
"The Will of D."
If MS do make another console it would probably be computer sized.
I think they should stop wasting their resources on games for console and start thinking of another Windows addition, the last one they came up with was XP but that was a year ago, surely they would have had a new one by now?
Thu 26/09/02 at 18:21
Regular
yeah i wont be buying tyhe xbox no matter what, i did that with the PS1 and i found that i spent more money on the console and controller and stuff than on games as i found i liked a few.

Also if for some reason nintendo dont make another console i hope they go exclusive to MS as then it would be xbox2 or PS3, and even with out rare and nintendo i would buy XBOX2.

Im very hard to please, but i find PS games feel rushed and not got that "polish", as for XBOX apart from the controller, and the green thing, ive been impressed by it, and the unrelesed games look good.

Hopefully PS3 and XBOX2 will also have play back ability as that would really interest me.
Thu 26/09/02 at 18:26
"The Will of D."
Would virtual reality? Now that would be something! I wonder who will create the technology first?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.