GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"If this dont win me GAD. I dont know what else will!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 25/09/02 at 23:29
Regular
I have this friend called Nath (Natbuc) and he's won this GAD thing 10 times. So I thought to myself, (*thinking, thinking, thinking*) if I cant win with one review I'll have to write 5.

Aggressive Inline

After playing endless hours on THPS 3 you begin to wonder what it would be like if someone could produce a better extreme sports title. Then wonder no more because Z-axis has axed its way into possibly the top spot for all extreme sports games.

As soon as I played this game I became totally addicted. Once your playing Aggressive Inline you find it hard to stop yourself. You think to yourself "Im not going until I complete this challenge" (Oh, and yes it is a challenge) and once you've finished one challenge you unlock a new challenge or a new level. Suddenly you begin to see yourself playing for hours and still you're determined to play longer to complete one last challenge.

One of the aspects of the game which I think has opened a gateway to a whole new exciting world of extreme sports is the 'no time limit' used in aggressive inline. The time limit has been replaced with the strangely named juice meter which has allowed the developers to create huge levels. You need to perform tricks to keep your bar as high as possible. If it runs out, game over. If you want to continue it will cost you 100,000 points.

Talking on the subject of huge levels, im not kidding. Take the level Boardwalk for example, the level itself is twice the size as a THPS2 level, however this level just takes the biscuit. Once you find the right key (Keys are located on seperate levels to the locks which adds another great aspect to the game) for the Boardwalk level it unlocks an area bigger than the original area you start off with. In total your looking at an area 5 times the size of many THPS2 levels. They're huge!

There is a vast amount of challenges in AI that will keep you playing for hours on end. Many of the challenges follow with FMV sequences, that consist of boulders, fireworks and gas canisters destroying everything in its path. Like THPS3, everything that gets destroyed creates a new place to skate. For example on Cannery you blow a hole in the bottom of the boat which causes the boat to sink to a lower level allowing you to get access on to the boat.

The amount of extra moves and tricks in AI puts THPS3 to shame. Not only can you do the basic tricks but you can also use the 'x' button to perform special moves such as vaulting over walls and spinning around poles and even skitching (grabbing) moving veichles. Unlike THPS3 were you get stat points at the end of challenges etc. In AI you gain XP for doing tricks. The better the trick, the more XP you get. The higher the stat level the more XP you will need to get to the next stat level.

AI has its own some what improved Park Editor that allows you to create a level with no limit as to how many items you can place unlike THPS3. The park editor scenes are better and one scene conatains a moving train going around the place.

However, the game has had to sacrafice a few things such as the create a skater mode. Don't let this put you down though as I really like the create a skater modes and to be honest after playin AI you can forgive Z-axis for leaving it out.

The multiplayer mode is some what lacking as you can only go on 4 levels and like THPS3 you can't go on the whole level you would do on single player mode. The multiplayer mode does have a few new modes so it is still huge fun having a laugh with your mates.

Now, Im going to get straight to the point. If your looking for a challenging extreme sports game this is the game for you. Put the fact that THPS4 is out soon behind you and buy Aggressive Inline as soon as possible. Trust me, If your a keen extreme sports fan you wont regret it.

I gave this game 9/10

After writing this review before without no reply, I thought I would post it again, as they say, better look next time.

Now for my next review. I'm pretty much now because I'll have to start a new.

Resident Evil - Gamecube

This is a re-make from its original on the ps1 and I can say after buying this f*ckin game you know it came from Capcom. The first thing you notice when you start a new game would be the blood thirsty FMV that starts your scare, as half dead hounds give Chris and the rest quite a chase. To the mansion you run, and from the mansion you start. If you owned the ps1 version and think that this game is no point, then think again cos you just might just be wrong.

The graphics run smoother and the surroundings seem scarier. For heavens sake I hope you came prepared cos you know what the advert says "Adults get scared too". I can't remember the endless times the game made me jump, zombies breaking through windows and appearing out of no where. Now everytime the music gets heavier I know i'm in danger, so the only advice i can give ya, is run, run, run.

This is the survival of the fittest as you get a lack of weapons and health. Believe me you need as much as you can find.

You can choose to play as Chris and Jill, so who ever you may fancy usin, either Chris or Jill, make up your mind quickly so that you can enter the thrill.

I aint got much else to say cos I myself, aint completed this game yet.

From what ive played i need not say anymore.

This game rules so If you havn't got it, get it now!!!

I give this game a 10/10. Some may not think its worth that score but believe me, once you get into the story line you feel the urge to continue and agree with my score.

Thats 2 reviews, I cant take much more. Another hour and I might have finished this bore.

My third and not least review!

Super Smash Bros. Melee

Ever since the release of the GameCube, Nintendo fans around the world have been waiting for that Killer game. A game that, if you walked into your local video game store, you would have no choice but to pick up the game and the console (And yes I aint kiddin, I've done it myself, what else is there to do in a college dinner break). Let me introduce that killer game. Super Smash Bros. Melee sees you (and 3 of your mates) take control of some of Nintendo’s most revered characters. From present day heroes such as Mario and Link, to those not so well known heroes. (Ice Climbers anyone?), you can proceed to beat the living daylights out of each other.

On the surface, SSBM seems like any other fighting game on the market today. However, as any Nintendo fan knows only too well, the big N likes to do things a little differently. Unlike fighters such as Virtua Fighter and Tekken, SSBM doesn’t have an energy bar as such. Instead, there is a damage meter at the bottom of the screen that starts at 0%. As your character takes damage, the meter gradually fills up, increasing the chances of you getting knocked out of the arena. Once you meter fills to 100%+, you know that you could be just one hit away form shooting off of the screen.

The real beauty is the fighting system, again unlike the VF’s of this world, it is relatively simple. Most of the commonly used moves are performed with either A or B in conjunction with the control stick. In fact, to perform the hardest offensive move, all you need is a flick of the control stick followed by a tap on the A button. Also, by use of the shoulder buttons, you can dart, feint and even throw your opponent off the screen. If using fists or your feet don’t do it for you, pick up a Baseball Bat (with a charged up shot these knock you flyin), Light Sabre of Ray Gun to do your dirty work for you.

The levels are way better compared to the ones on the N64 version, however sometimes its a case trying to stay on the level rather than battling to knock people off the level which does tend to p*ss you off.

All I can say now is buy this game. It rules.

I give this a deserving 9/10

4/5 reviews to go

Spiderman - The movie

Spiderman doesn't stink horribly, but it's certainly not anything special and I don't think I can recommend it as an essential purchase, to say the least. As the title indicates, Spiderman: The Movie is based on the film of the same name, and takes you through the scenes and fights from the film, pitting you against the Green Goblin, and various other cretins ( including some that weren't shown in the film ).

It doesn't really do the scenes from the film justice - to begin with, you're treated with some very pretty FMV sequences that actually look quite promising.. until the actual game starts. The faces of the various 'bad guys' you have to pummel into the ground look impossibly awful, with bad texturing and some of the worst voice acting I've heard yet from a video game. Spiderman himself doesn't help the situation, offering witty one-liners such as 'I'm gonna rip you to pieces!' Yes, of course you are.

The levels are split into two distinct types - outside levels, where you websling around the city, and indoor levels where you must solve simple puzzles to progress. The outdoor levels get tedious very quickly, and the fact that Spidey seems to latch onto clouds to swing around just seems a bit stupid. The way he swings seems a bit staggered, and clumsy, and therefore the outdoor sections seem a bit miserable. The indoor sections is where this game starts to get interesting.

The level design is fairly good, and incorporates an interesting feature that makes the game come into its own. If you climb into the shadows on the ceiling and walls, the enemies won't be able to see you - this makes for some Metal Gear solid-esque sliding and slithering around, and it's quite fun. Thankfully, if you can't be bothered with that most of the time you can drop onto the enemys' head and slap him around a bit. Stealth isn't always a necessity.

Overall I would only give this game 6/10 and I only suggest getting it if your a keen spiderman fan.

My last and final review. By now im struggeling for ideas. How about you?

Super Monkey Ball

The aim of the game is to roll around levels until you get to the goal where the ape will launch itself up to the next level. In the process you collect bananas ( complete with tiny adverts for 'Dole' ). These can give you extra points. That's it. Seriously. But with 100 + levels you certainly wont get bored quickly.

The game mainly comprises of three difficulty levels. Beginner, Advanced and Expert. Beginner being relatively simple with just ten levels. Advanced is a little more difficult, with some of the levels being more difficult than eating candyfloss while riding a unicycle. Then of course we have Expert. The ingeniously planned 50 levels will keep you laughing and crying but certainly not giving up. Some of the levels roll, some are riddled with holes and some are just stupidly narrow.

Of course no game can be truly perfect. If, in the unlikely event that you complete a difficulty level than you are subjected to ten minutes of rolling along attempting to collect 'nanas while the game designers names drop down over and over again in an attempt to stop your monkeys progress. Almost fun at first, but afterwards becomes a trawl through pure tedium.
The one player game rules and the multiplayer game is even better.
If you have loads of mates coming around this weekend and you want a laugh. Then go out and buy this game now cos it wont let you down.
I personally do not have Super Monkey Ball but im waitin for SMB 2.

This game rules

So I gave it yet again a 9/10

Finally, I finished my last review. If this doesn't win me GAD I dont know what else will. I spent all night doing this for the sake of one game, that just takes the!

If you read all of this then your obviously a liar, go back and read it again, com'on it wont take you that long.

Sam Ellis

P.s Sorry for all of the offensive material I used is this, how can i put this, I was majorly !

[Well, you'll never win GAD with language like that - Ali]

Goodbye!
Wed 25/09/02 at 23:29
Regular
I have this friend called Nath (Natbuc) and he's won this GAD thing 10 times. So I thought to myself, (*thinking, thinking, thinking*) if I cant win with one review I'll have to write 5.

Aggressive Inline

After playing endless hours on THPS 3 you begin to wonder what it would be like if someone could produce a better extreme sports title. Then wonder no more because Z-axis has axed its way into possibly the top spot for all extreme sports games.

As soon as I played this game I became totally addicted. Once your playing Aggressive Inline you find it hard to stop yourself. You think to yourself "Im not going until I complete this challenge" (Oh, and yes it is a challenge) and once you've finished one challenge you unlock a new challenge or a new level. Suddenly you begin to see yourself playing for hours and still you're determined to play longer to complete one last challenge.

One of the aspects of the game which I think has opened a gateway to a whole new exciting world of extreme sports is the 'no time limit' used in aggressive inline. The time limit has been replaced with the strangely named juice meter which has allowed the developers to create huge levels. You need to perform tricks to keep your bar as high as possible. If it runs out, game over. If you want to continue it will cost you 100,000 points.

Talking on the subject of huge levels, im not kidding. Take the level Boardwalk for example, the level itself is twice the size as a THPS2 level, however this level just takes the biscuit. Once you find the right key (Keys are located on seperate levels to the locks which adds another great aspect to the game) for the Boardwalk level it unlocks an area bigger than the original area you start off with. In total your looking at an area 5 times the size of many THPS2 levels. They're huge!

There is a vast amount of challenges in AI that will keep you playing for hours on end. Many of the challenges follow with FMV sequences, that consist of boulders, fireworks and gas canisters destroying everything in its path. Like THPS3, everything that gets destroyed creates a new place to skate. For example on Cannery you blow a hole in the bottom of the boat which causes the boat to sink to a lower level allowing you to get access on to the boat.

The amount of extra moves and tricks in AI puts THPS3 to shame. Not only can you do the basic tricks but you can also use the 'x' button to perform special moves such as vaulting over walls and spinning around poles and even skitching (grabbing) moving veichles. Unlike THPS3 were you get stat points at the end of challenges etc. In AI you gain XP for doing tricks. The better the trick, the more XP you get. The higher the stat level the more XP you will need to get to the next stat level.

AI has its own some what improved Park Editor that allows you to create a level with no limit as to how many items you can place unlike THPS3. The park editor scenes are better and one scene conatains a moving train going around the place.

However, the game has had to sacrafice a few things such as the create a skater mode. Don't let this put you down though as I really like the create a skater modes and to be honest after playin AI you can forgive Z-axis for leaving it out.

The multiplayer mode is some what lacking as you can only go on 4 levels and like THPS3 you can't go on the whole level you would do on single player mode. The multiplayer mode does have a few new modes so it is still huge fun having a laugh with your mates.

Now, Im going to get straight to the point. If your looking for a challenging extreme sports game this is the game for you. Put the fact that THPS4 is out soon behind you and buy Aggressive Inline as soon as possible. Trust me, If your a keen extreme sports fan you wont regret it.

I gave this game 9/10

After writing this review before without no reply, I thought I would post it again, as they say, better look next time.

Now for my next review. I'm pretty much now because I'll have to start a new.

Resident Evil - Gamecube

This is a re-make from its original on the ps1 and I can say after buying this f*ckin game you know it came from Capcom. The first thing you notice when you start a new game would be the blood thirsty FMV that starts your scare, as half dead hounds give Chris and the rest quite a chase. To the mansion you run, and from the mansion you start. If you owned the ps1 version and think that this game is no point, then think again cos you just might just be wrong.

The graphics run smoother and the surroundings seem scarier. For heavens sake I hope you came prepared cos you know what the advert says "Adults get scared too". I can't remember the endless times the game made me jump, zombies breaking through windows and appearing out of no where. Now everytime the music gets heavier I know i'm in danger, so the only advice i can give ya, is run, run, run.

This is the survival of the fittest as you get a lack of weapons and health. Believe me you need as much as you can find.

You can choose to play as Chris and Jill, so who ever you may fancy usin, either Chris or Jill, make up your mind quickly so that you can enter the thrill.

I aint got much else to say cos I myself, aint completed this game yet.

From what ive played i need not say anymore.

This game rules so If you havn't got it, get it now!!!

I give this game a 10/10. Some may not think its worth that score but believe me, once you get into the story line you feel the urge to continue and agree with my score.

Thats 2 reviews, I cant take much more. Another hour and I might have finished this bore.

My third and not least review!

Super Smash Bros. Melee

Ever since the release of the GameCube, Nintendo fans around the world have been waiting for that Killer game. A game that, if you walked into your local video game store, you would have no choice but to pick up the game and the console (And yes I aint kiddin, I've done it myself, what else is there to do in a college dinner break). Let me introduce that killer game. Super Smash Bros. Melee sees you (and 3 of your mates) take control of some of Nintendo’s most revered characters. From present day heroes such as Mario and Link, to those not so well known heroes. (Ice Climbers anyone?), you can proceed to beat the living daylights out of each other.

On the surface, SSBM seems like any other fighting game on the market today. However, as any Nintendo fan knows only too well, the big N likes to do things a little differently. Unlike fighters such as Virtua Fighter and Tekken, SSBM doesn’t have an energy bar as such. Instead, there is a damage meter at the bottom of the screen that starts at 0%. As your character takes damage, the meter gradually fills up, increasing the chances of you getting knocked out of the arena. Once you meter fills to 100%+, you know that you could be just one hit away form shooting off of the screen.

The real beauty is the fighting system, again unlike the VF’s of this world, it is relatively simple. Most of the commonly used moves are performed with either A or B in conjunction with the control stick. In fact, to perform the hardest offensive move, all you need is a flick of the control stick followed by a tap on the A button. Also, by use of the shoulder buttons, you can dart, feint and even throw your opponent off the screen. If using fists or your feet don’t do it for you, pick up a Baseball Bat (with a charged up shot these knock you flyin), Light Sabre of Ray Gun to do your dirty work for you.

The levels are way better compared to the ones on the N64 version, however sometimes its a case trying to stay on the level rather than battling to knock people off the level which does tend to p*ss you off.

All I can say now is buy this game. It rules.

I give this a deserving 9/10

4/5 reviews to go

Spiderman - The movie

Spiderman doesn't stink horribly, but it's certainly not anything special and I don't think I can recommend it as an essential purchase, to say the least. As the title indicates, Spiderman: The Movie is based on the film of the same name, and takes you through the scenes and fights from the film, pitting you against the Green Goblin, and various other cretins ( including some that weren't shown in the film ).

It doesn't really do the scenes from the film justice - to begin with, you're treated with some very pretty FMV sequences that actually look quite promising.. until the actual game starts. The faces of the various 'bad guys' you have to pummel into the ground look impossibly awful, with bad texturing and some of the worst voice acting I've heard yet from a video game. Spiderman himself doesn't help the situation, offering witty one-liners such as 'I'm gonna rip you to pieces!' Yes, of course you are.

The levels are split into two distinct types - outside levels, where you websling around the city, and indoor levels where you must solve simple puzzles to progress. The outdoor levels get tedious very quickly, and the fact that Spidey seems to latch onto clouds to swing around just seems a bit stupid. The way he swings seems a bit staggered, and clumsy, and therefore the outdoor sections seem a bit miserable. The indoor sections is where this game starts to get interesting.

The level design is fairly good, and incorporates an interesting feature that makes the game come into its own. If you climb into the shadows on the ceiling and walls, the enemies won't be able to see you - this makes for some Metal Gear solid-esque sliding and slithering around, and it's quite fun. Thankfully, if you can't be bothered with that most of the time you can drop onto the enemys' head and slap him around a bit. Stealth isn't always a necessity.

Overall I would only give this game 6/10 and I only suggest getting it if your a keen spiderman fan.

My last and final review. By now im struggeling for ideas. How about you?

Super Monkey Ball

The aim of the game is to roll around levels until you get to the goal where the ape will launch itself up to the next level. In the process you collect bananas ( complete with tiny adverts for 'Dole' ). These can give you extra points. That's it. Seriously. But with 100 + levels you certainly wont get bored quickly.

The game mainly comprises of three difficulty levels. Beginner, Advanced and Expert. Beginner being relatively simple with just ten levels. Advanced is a little more difficult, with some of the levels being more difficult than eating candyfloss while riding a unicycle. Then of course we have Expert. The ingeniously planned 50 levels will keep you laughing and crying but certainly not giving up. Some of the levels roll, some are riddled with holes and some are just stupidly narrow.

Of course no game can be truly perfect. If, in the unlikely event that you complete a difficulty level than you are subjected to ten minutes of rolling along attempting to collect 'nanas while the game designers names drop down over and over again in an attempt to stop your monkeys progress. Almost fun at first, but afterwards becomes a trawl through pure tedium.
The one player game rules and the multiplayer game is even better.
If you have loads of mates coming around this weekend and you want a laugh. Then go out and buy this game now cos it wont let you down.
I personally do not have Super Monkey Ball but im waitin for SMB 2.

This game rules

So I gave it yet again a 9/10

Finally, I finished my last review. If this doesn't win me GAD I dont know what else will. I spent all night doing this for the sake of one game, that just takes the!

If you read all of this then your obviously a liar, go back and read it again, com'on it wont take you that long.

Sam Ellis

P.s Sorry for all of the offensive material I used is this, how can i put this, I was majorly !

[Well, you'll never win GAD with language like that - Ali]

Goodbye!
Wed 25/09/02 at 23:31
Regular
"5 European Cups!!!"
What makes you think that saying "If this dont win me GAD. I dont know what else will", will give you a better chance of winning? Your posts need to have Q.U.A.L.I.T.Y. Not saying this hasn't, because quite frankly, it's too long for me to read at this time of night.
Wed 25/09/02 at 23:35
Regular
Great Post Ellizuk, and i think it will win you a GAD as it is good and has a bit of good Q.U.A.L.I.T.Y
Wed 25/09/02 at 23:37
Regular
Thanks Lethal Weapon...
Wed 25/09/02 at 23:38
Regular
"5 European Cups!!!"
Y'know, copy+pasting my words isn't very good to do. I suggest you learn your own.
Wed 25/09/02 at 23:39
Regular
Now, now, No arguing in my post please. Go argue somewhere else.
Wed 25/09/02 at 23:41
Regular
ellizuk wrote:
> Thanks Lethal Weapon...

Your welcome, i will try my own Spoof and i will do it in a few days OK and see if you like it.
Regular
ellizuk wrote:
> Now, now, No arguing in my post please. Go argue somewhere else.

Dont worry we wont argue as i am off to bed now.
Regular
"5 European Cups!!!"
Ok, fair enough ;)

Lethal, come in the Dreamcast Forum so I can truly whup your copying-pants :D

(Not in any way, shape, or form, was that meant to sound homosexual)
Wed 25/09/02 at 23:42
Regular
Expletive Deleted wrote:
> Y'know, copy+pasting my words isn't very good to do. I suggest you
> learn your own.

So your point is that i copied your WORD and your telling me to think of my own when everyone uses that word.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.