GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"For people interested in the games industry here is some advice. Go strong future gaming people."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 23/09/02 at 21:57
Regular
Now, This is for anyone that really wants to get into the gaming industry. Its just a bit of advice to help you.

Here are basically a few web sites which helped me out and stuff like that

Try some of these sites.

www.gamesjobs.co.uk
www.ea.com - Go to jobs at the bottom of the page
http://www.eidosinteractive.co.uk

Just look at all of these sites.
Some good magazines you could get are things like Edge Magazine which has huge sections on jobs in the back.
Also Official Playstation 2 Magazine which has a whole directory of the biggest companies at the end of all the game listings and everthing. That is also very usefull as you can phone up each company and ask to speak to their employer or just ask the person who answers if the have xxx available and they will say 'hold on I'll connect you to blah blah blah'
And then you can ask them whatever you want and ask for advice aswell. Really Hope this Helps. I know its not much but I'm a busy man and have things to do. :)
Mon 23/09/02 at 21:57
Regular
" ban the Taliban"
Now, This is for anyone that really wants to get into the gaming industry. Its just a bit of advice to help you.

Here are basically a few web sites which helped me out and stuff like that

Try some of these sites.

www.gamesjobs.co.uk
www.ea.com - Go to jobs at the bottom of the page
http://www.eidosinteractive.co.uk

Just look at all of these sites.
Some good magazines you could get are things like Edge Magazine which has huge sections on jobs in the back.
Also Official Playstation 2 Magazine which has a whole directory of the biggest companies at the end of all the game listings and everthing. That is also very usefull as you can phone up each company and ask to speak to their employer or just ask the person who answers if the have xxx available and they will say 'hold on I'll connect you to blah blah blah'
And then you can ask them whatever you want and ask for advice aswell. Really Hope this Helps. I know its not much but I'm a busy man and have things to do. :)
Mon 23/09/02 at 22:09
Regular
"$hit happens"
What do you do?
I want to be a designer but do not know what to do to get started and obviousley being almost 15 does not help, ill lookat the sites, cheers and any advice on becoming a deigner! throw it at me
Mon 23/09/02 at 22:55
Regular
" ban the Taliban"
I'm just a lowly tester but I know about some of this stuff.
Mon 23/09/02 at 22:58
Regular
"Jags is teh l33t"
the idea of games designing does appeal to me although i may wait a few years, pity bout Rare going over to the dark side as i would have liked to work for them eventually.
Mon 23/09/02 at 23:03
"Stupid Newbie :D"
Games tester is nothing to sniff at. ;)
Getting paid to playtest alpha and beta versions is a decent enough job, provided you've got a high tolerance for monotony, I say more power to you. ;)

On the design aspect, there was a really good topic on this a number of pages back, it was started by Auron here and attracted the advice of a good few people.

I can only advise on one approach to becoming a designer, as it's the route I took, and continue to take. But if you dig that topic up you'll find pretty much all you need. ;)
Mon 23/09/02 at 23:06
Regular
"Jags is teh l33t"
you test games?
Mon 23/09/02 at 23:11
Regular
"Jags is teh l33t"
possum, can you say what country you live in and what company you test games for?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.