GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Great Wavebird Tests"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 23/09/02 at 20:51
Regular
Happen it was my birthday on Friday.

Anyway, my wife got me a Wavebird. Well, that's not strictly true, I had to order it myself, as she didn't know where she could get one from, but she did wrap it up, and I opened it on my birthday.

It wasn't easy to get the thing out of it's packaging though. Stupid plastic casing rubbish! My scissoring skills aren't too hot in the dark at 6:30 in the morning, but I got it out eventually.

Had to go to work shortly afterwards, but upon my return, the tests begun.

Firstly I stuck in the batteries and put both the Wavebird and the reciever on channel 1. I switched my Gamecube on, but when I pressed buttons there was no response. I checked that I had both on the same channel, moved them to 5, but still nothing.

Switched the pad on.

Test 1: Sitting on sofa.

Yes, the pad works fine from my regular sitting position, only I don't have to move the Gamecube to the floor. I still lift the pad up when the children come by though, to aviod them tripping on non-existant wires.

Test 2: In the kitchen

I move into the kitchen, and press the buttons. Malibu tells me that Spiderman is indeed moving. So it works fine through one wall. I cannot see the TV though. I imagine I'd still be able to play Super Smash Bros: Melee and Sonic Adventure from here with my usual degree of skill.

Test 3: In the back garden.

My wife Lisa has had to move into the living room to report results to me. Apparently it's still working fine, but it's difficult to hear, with a number od walls between us.

Test 4: Out the front

I move around the house, and glance in the living room window, to confirm with my own eyes that it's still working.

Test 5: On the road

Well, not a real road, just the track that leads to my house, so no danger of traffic. I'm the other side of the conifers now too, and beneath phone lines. There are birds sitting on these phone lines. The Wavebird still works fine.

Test 6: On the road, in my pants.

I'm not wearing shoes, so I don't really want to walk further from my house, so I put another layer between the Wavebird and the reciever, by putting it in my pants. I furiously bash away in my pants. My wife reports that it's working. The birds fly away. Parents call their children inside. I hear a siren.

NEXT WEEKS TEST:

Will the Wavebird work from my jail cell?

*NOTE*

Test 6 only took place within the confides of my wrong brain. Other tests, 1-5, were conducted and the results as stated above.
Mon 23/09/02 at 20:51
Regular
"not dead"
Happen it was my birthday on Friday.

Anyway, my wife got me a Wavebird. Well, that's not strictly true, I had to order it myself, as she didn't know where she could get one from, but she did wrap it up, and I opened it on my birthday.

It wasn't easy to get the thing out of it's packaging though. Stupid plastic casing rubbish! My scissoring skills aren't too hot in the dark at 6:30 in the morning, but I got it out eventually.

Had to go to work shortly afterwards, but upon my return, the tests begun.

Firstly I stuck in the batteries and put both the Wavebird and the reciever on channel 1. I switched my Gamecube on, but when I pressed buttons there was no response. I checked that I had both on the same channel, moved them to 5, but still nothing.

Switched the pad on.

Test 1: Sitting on sofa.

Yes, the pad works fine from my regular sitting position, only I don't have to move the Gamecube to the floor. I still lift the pad up when the children come by though, to aviod them tripping on non-existant wires.

Test 2: In the kitchen

I move into the kitchen, and press the buttons. Malibu tells me that Spiderman is indeed moving. So it works fine through one wall. I cannot see the TV though. I imagine I'd still be able to play Super Smash Bros: Melee and Sonic Adventure from here with my usual degree of skill.

Test 3: In the back garden.

My wife Lisa has had to move into the living room to report results to me. Apparently it's still working fine, but it's difficult to hear, with a number od walls between us.

Test 4: Out the front

I move around the house, and glance in the living room window, to confirm with my own eyes that it's still working.

Test 5: On the road

Well, not a real road, just the track that leads to my house, so no danger of traffic. I'm the other side of the conifers now too, and beneath phone lines. There are birds sitting on these phone lines. The Wavebird still works fine.

Test 6: On the road, in my pants.

I'm not wearing shoes, so I don't really want to walk further from my house, so I put another layer between the Wavebird and the reciever, by putting it in my pants. I furiously bash away in my pants. My wife reports that it's working. The birds fly away. Parents call their children inside. I hear a siren.

NEXT WEEKS TEST:

Will the Wavebird work from my jail cell?

*NOTE*

Test 6 only took place within the confides of my wrong brain. Other tests, 1-5, were conducted and the results as stated above.
Mon 23/09/02 at 20:56
Regular
"Festivus!"
Sounds GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREAT!
Mon 23/09/02 at 23:27
Regular
I ordered mine last wednesday from DVD box office, any idea how long it will take to arrive?
Tue 24/09/02 at 15:34
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
LOL, forgot to turn the controller on eh?
Tue 24/09/02 at 16:24
Must look so funny when you lift it up so your kids dont trip on it. Sounds awesome though.
Tue 24/09/02 at 17:10
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Meka Dragon wrote:
>
> Test 6: On the road, in my pants.
>
> I'm not wearing shoes, so I don't really want to walk further from my
> house, so I put another layer between the Wavebird and the reciever,
> by putting it in my pants. I furiously bash away in my pants. My wife
> reports that it's working. The birds fly away. Parents call their
> children inside. I hear a siren.
>
>

I bet the lack of rumble function spoiled that test!

;)
Tue 24/09/02 at 17:18
Truly sickening, that.
Tue 24/09/02 at 17:29
Regular
I prefer the lack of rumble to be honest, it feels weird when I switch back to the regular controllers
Tue 24/09/02 at 18:05
Regular
Would you recommend one then? How does the lack of a rumble feature fare? Does it look good against a purple GameCube? Are there different colours? Is it more expensive than an original controller?
Tue 24/09/02 at 19:01
Regular
Maverick42 wrote:
> Would you recommend one then? How does the lack of a rumble feature
> fare? Does it look good against a purple GameCube? Are there different
> colours? Is it more expensive than an original controller?

Would You recommend one?

Definately, you can finally relax while holding a controller (unless your room is already really small)

How does a lack of ruble feauture fare?

I prefer it to be quite honest, cos the rumble feature got kinda annoying on the old controller.

Does it look good against a purple gamecube?

I doesn't look bad but it just reminds me so much of the dull grey N64 controller
Are there different colours?

No. Shame though, something for Ninty to work on ;)

Is it more expensive than the original?

Yeah, but not by much, but the price might have changed by the time it gets released.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.