GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Form submission"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 09/07/08 at 11:12
Regular
"one more question"
I received nearly 100 emails to one of my addresses posted on my freeola hosted website through the night entitled "form submission", no content, just this in the subject field. Has anyone else experienced this and is this spammers trying to gather email addresses? I worked with another company up until recently who also hosted through freeola and we occasionally saw this with a barage of spam following a week or so after. If this is the case should I be somehow encrypting the email addresses on my site?
Wed 09/07/08 at 20:21
Regular
"one more question"
NICE.....thanks Hmmm
Wed 09/07/08 at 18:04
"Are you sure?"
Add this to your forms:
<input type="hidden" name="env_report" value="yes">

More info here :¬)

Search Freeola Chat
Wed 09/07/08 at 17:57
Regular
"one more question"
Thanks guys, I have converted all of my forms to "freeola form to mail" now & just implementing the "captcha" script. I think you hit the nail on the head ncrs, as it does appear the emails were sent through my form script. I was using a different form to mail script (jack's formmail) on some pages, purely because it would give me IP address which can be very useful, is there any way of scripting that into my freeola form to mail form?
Wed 09/07/08 at 17:16
"Are you sure?"
FWIW:
I use quite a few Freeola form_mail scripts on my sites.
I had one that was being abused and adding the 'captcha' code completely sorted my problems out :¬)

As already mentioned it's just the one extra line of code to add so won't take you very much time to implement:

<input type="hidden" name="captcha" value="yes">

Search Freeola Chat
Wed 09/07/08 at 16:29
Staff
Numpty boy wrote:
> Thanks Eccles, I'll use your mail to form scripts rather than my
> own, I've just had a look at the freeola online support guide to
> make sure I was doing it correctly, forgive me for being thick
> but the following code mentions "hidden", will this
> still be hidden from the harvesters?:
>
>
> > value="your_email_address_here">
>
> Once I've got them working I'll allocate some time to implement
> the "catcha" system too. Thanks again

From the way you describe the responses you got I don't think you're email adddresses were harvested, I think they were sent by your form script. The current automatic Freeola script does not allow obscuring the address being sent from on the form (something I'll ask the programmers about implementing for a future script), but does support captcha (which would prevent scripts from sending you junk emails).

To turn on captcha simply include the following bit of code within the form element
<input type="hidden" name="captcha" value="yes">

the hidden part of it simply means that nothing visible will appear on the webpage, if someone looks at the source code it would be relativley straightforward to extract the address.
Wed 09/07/08 at 16:02
Regular
"one more question"
Thanks Eccles, I'll use your mail to form scripts rather than my own, I've just had a look at the freeola online support guide to make sure I was doing it correctly, forgive me for being thick but the following code mentions "hidden", will this still be hidden from the harvesters?:

Once I've got them working I'll allocate some time to implement the "catcha" system too. Thanks again
Wed 09/07/08 at 13:04
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
It's not normally a good idea to publish you email address directly on your site. It's then easy for spam bots to harvest it, hence the barrage of spam.

There are a few ways you can obscure your email address but still allow people to contact you.

One is to use our Form to mail or a similar contact form that takes user input and emails it on to you. It's a good idea with any contact form to have some sort of spam control on it such a Captcha (those images with random letters in them that you have to type in, although this still isn't 100% spammer proof).

You may have seen on some sites that the email address is made into an image and that is used instead. This is harder for spam bots to read but then can't be and easy click and email link.
Wed 09/07/08 at 11:12
Regular
"one more question"
I received nearly 100 emails to one of my addresses posted on my freeola hosted website through the night entitled "form submission", no content, just this in the subject field. Has anyone else experienced this and is this spammers trying to gather email addresses? I worked with another company up until recently who also hosted through freeola and we occasionally saw this with a barage of spam following a week or so after. If this is the case should I be somehow encrypting the email addresses on my site?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.