GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"After The Sequels Stop"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 23/09/02 at 17:27
Regular
It is said that the film industry is a hard business to work in, one flop film and an actors career can be indelibly damaged, but why doesn't anyone stop to consider those in a much more volatile industry, those whose career is not only damaged after a flop, but completely destroyed, - those in the games industry. In this article we see what truly happens, when the sequels stop......

Ax Battler the barbarian once thought that he had a lifelong career, he didn't expect that it would end so soon. Ax was one of three performers whose careers both started and ended with the Golden Axe games. Today Ax works in his local McDonalds in Surrey.

: So Ax, you now work in a McDonalds, how did you fall so spectacuarly from grace?
: UUUUURRRRGGGGHHHH!
: O.K., next question, from the games did you get any royalties?
:UUUUURRRRGGGGHHHH!
: You were in the first two Golden Axe games but were cruelly snubbed from the third, how did this make you feel?

I had clearly hit a nerve, so I decided to order a Big Mac and leave.

Ax Battler wasnt the only member of the Golden Axe crew who suffered after the series was cancelled, Tyris Flare, the fire summoning Amazon in the games has also been struggling for work since. We could not contact her for interview but are told that she runs a website called www.the-naughty-amazon.com, which is in no way related to the online retailer. The other main cast member Gilius Thunderhead The Viking Dwarf, now a member of Warwick Davies Agency of little people we hoped would be more open to an interview. Upon contacting him, we were first refused an interview, but were later granted one as long as we brought along bottles of Babycham which we were told reminded him of the magic potions he once collected in the game.

: We talked to Ax Battler a while ago, he had a lot to say about the way that the three of you were mistreated and taken advantage of.
: Yes, we all had disibilities that they took advantage of, Ax was a retarded ex-NFL player, Tyris was a low class nymphomaniac streetwalker from Thailand, and I am...
: ....A little person.
: I FIND THAT QUITE INSULTING! I much prefer the term short arce midget dwarf.
: (Laughs).
: That wasn't a joke.
Oh, sorry, um, moving on, I believe you are now a stage and film actor.
: Yes. (long silence).
: Would you like to elaborate?
: WHAT THE HELL, YOU FILTHY PERVERT, JUST BECAUSE IM A SHORT ARCE MIDG.....
: Elaborate means to go into more detail, in this case talk about your film career.
: Oh, Im sorry, I misunderstood you, I had a proposition on a German train that you just reminded me of. Im sorry, for shouting like that, yeah, film work has been hard to find, thats why I joined Warwick Davies Acency of little people, since joining I've been in two Star Wars films, I was a Jawa in Episode 1, and to broaden my range I was an Ewok in Episode 2. Other than that its been a lean few years, if it wasn't the panto season or German Businessmen with Dwarf fetishes I would not be able to make a living.
: (Choosing to ignore that last comment) I heard you were in consideration for a substansial role in a big budget motion picture, can you tell me more (carefully, ensuring the word elaborate wasn't used again).
: Yeah, I was up for consideration for the role of Gimli in lord of the rings, but when Death Adder got the role of Sauron, he made sure I didn't get it, and that John Rhys-Davies who got the part, what dwarf experience did he have, he was in sliders for gods sake, I could understand him getting the part, if they wanted Gimli to look like Pavarotti. But he was a bearded dwarf, - that role was mine, and that Death Adder, that No good son of a bit.....
: Thank you very much, for the interview, you've been most helpful.
: Wheres my Babyshame then, (reaching for his Axe), if you dont give me my potions, I will kill you..
: RRRUUUUNNNNNN!!!!!

After that somewhat scary interview, I decided that I had had my fill of former Golden Axe stars, But on further investigation, I found that they weren't the only people that Sega, had abused, Skates, the supposed child star of Streets Of Rage 2 +3, had recently published an autobiography, 'RollerBoy:My Boogie Nights In The Spotlight.' And although, 18 of the 20 chapters in his book, are either drunken ramblings, too profanity laced to read, or describe in rather sickening detail his exploits in a more adult industry than videogames, chapters 1 + 2 tell of Sega's mistreatment of him. One passage reads:

'Most gamesplayer thought I was a child, the kid brother of Adam from the first game, that was of course completely untrue. The truth is I was 32, I have a growth defect, and the Suits at Sega kept me on growth restricting medication as well, so I didnt age physically. I feel so exploited, not only did they most likely irepairably damage my body, but they also promised me my own spin off game, which came to be Jet Set Radio, but it was all a ruse, they used me to perform all the insane stunts, and once they got all the shots they needed, they dropped me. So not only did I sacrafice my body for the career they promised me, they lied and exploited me beyond any reasonable boundries. I was like the Gary Coleman of videogames.'

After reading this, I felt appaled at how Sega treated its stars as commodities, and looked towards other companies to see whether the way Sega acted was universally prevalent in the Videogame industry, so I looked at thir main rivals Nintendo, who it would seem are a lot more considerate of their talents, of the stars Nintendo have crerated, very few of them actually go extended periods without popping up in a game. And even those who do stop appearing in games, Nintendo have helped find work for. Two such examples are Funky Kong, and Candy Kong from Donkey Kong Country, Funky has worked as an extra in 2000's remake of the planet of the apes and has had consistent work as Robin Williams' Body double, while Candy has starred as Melissa Joan Hart's best friend in Sabrina The Teenage Witch and as a cheerleader in the hit film 'Bring It On'. Clearly, Nintendo are one company who at least give their talents consistent work.

Square although not as good as Nintendo in providing their talent with first rate jobs, does still provide them with work, Final Fantasy 7 stars Sephiroth, Tifa and Barrett all talked to us and were very happy with their new lives sans videogames. Sephiroth now does commercials capitalising on his imfamy from FF7, his most recent work coined the catchphrase 'Buy Skittles, or face the wrath of the one winged angel!', so obviously, he is alright. Barrett now works as a Mr. T lookalike, and Tifa works at a Hooters, so Square it would appear tries to match their talents up with suitable non videogame jobs.

Sadly, not all 3rd party developers look after their former talents as well, and the past few years have seen a number of former stars admitted to rehab clinics including Zool for a sugar addiction that the Developers of his game supposedly instigated, and Pacman's fall from fame was well documented in the national press, and he is currently working through his pill popping addiction at the Betty Ford Rehab Clinic.

However the saddest story of all would appear to be that of Fantastic Dizzy, star of numerous games in the early to mid nineties, however, by the end of the decade his star had faded and he was fried in a supposed accident in a restaurant kitchen. His widow and Co-star in the game Daisy, emotionally told us that she feels that it may not have been an accident. 'I truly feel he was suicidal, not being able to be in more games really made him crck up, and when your an egg that is not a good thing'.

So next time you go back to your Mega Drive or Snes and play the games of yesteryear, think about its characters, and their plight for work, for being a games character is not all glamorous, they do not build up vast sums of money to ease them through the years without work that follow the brief success their games may have, pray for they success, when the sequels stop.
Mon 23/09/02 at 17:40
Regular
"waiting 4 Matrix 3"
Shadowblade wrote:
> incredible...
>
> gad winner me tinks
me tinks this is GAD too!
Mon 23/09/02 at 17:33
Regular
"i am fubby"
incredible...

gad winner me tinks
Mon 23/09/02 at 17:27
"MMMMM, Chicken"
It is said that the film industry is a hard business to work in, one flop film and an actors career can be indelibly damaged, but why doesn't anyone stop to consider those in a much more volatile industry, those whose career is not only damaged after a flop, but completely destroyed, - those in the games industry. In this article we see what truly happens, when the sequels stop......

Ax Battler the barbarian once thought that he had a lifelong career, he didn't expect that it would end so soon. Ax was one of three performers whose careers both started and ended with the Golden Axe games. Today Ax works in his local McDonalds in Surrey.

: So Ax, you now work in a McDonalds, how did you fall so spectacuarly from grace?
: UUUUURRRRGGGGHHHH!
: O.K., next question, from the games did you get any royalties?
: You were in the first two Golden Axe games but were cruelly snubbed from the third, how did this make you feel?

I had clearly hit a nerve, so I decided to order a Big Mac and leave.

Ax Battler wasnt the only member of the Golden Axe crew who suffered after the series was cancelled, Tyris Flare, the fire summoning Amazon in the games has also been struggling for work since. We could not contact her for interview but are told that she runs a website called www.the-naughty-amazon.com, which is in no way related to the online retailer. The other main cast member Gilius Thunderhead The Viking Dwarf, now a member of Warwick Davies Agency of little people we hoped would be more open to an interview. Upon contacting him, we were first refused an interview, but were later granted one as long as we brought along bottles of Babycham which we were told reminded him of the magic potions he once collected in the game.

: We talked to Ax Battler a while ago, he had a lot to say about the way that the three of you were mistreated and taken advantage of.
: Yes, we all had disibilities that they took advantage of, Ax was a retarded ex-NFL player, Tyris was a low class nymphomaniac streetwalker from Thailand, and I am...
: ....A little person.
: I FIND THAT QUITE INSULTING! I much prefer the term short arce midget dwarf.
: (Laughs).
: That wasn't a joke.
Oh, sorry, um, moving on, I believe you are now a stage and film actor.
: Yes. (long silence).
: Would you like to elaborate?
: WHAT THE HELL, YOU FILTHY PERVERT, JUST BECAUSE IM A SHORT ARCE MIDG.....
: Elaborate means to go into more detail, in this case talk about your film career.
: Oh, Im sorry, I misunderstood you, I had a proposition on a German train that you just reminded me of. Im sorry, for shouting like that, yeah, film work has been hard to find, thats why I joined Warwick Davies Acency of little people, since joining I've been in two Star Wars films, I was a Jawa in Episode 1, and to broaden my range I was an Ewok in Episode 2. Other than that its been a lean few years, if it wasn't the panto season or German Businessmen with Dwarf fetishes I would not be able to make a living.
: (Choosing to ignore that last comment) I heard you were in consideration for a substansial role in a big budget motion picture, can you tell me more (carefully, ensuring the word elaborate wasn't used again).
: Yeah, I was up for consideration for the role of Gimli in lord of the rings, but when Death Adder got the role of Sauron, he made sure I didn't get it, and that John Rhys-Davies who got the part, what dwarf experience did he have, he was in sliders for gods sake, I could understand him getting the part, if they wanted Gimli to look like Pavarotti. But he was a bearded dwarf, - that role was mine, and that Death Adder, that No good son of a bit.....
: Thank you very much, for the interview, you've been most helpful.
: Wheres my Babyshame then, (reaching for his Axe), if you dont give me my potions, I will kill you..
: RRRUUUUNNNNNN!!!!!

After that somewhat scary interview, I decided that I had had my fill of former Golden Axe stars, But on further investigation, I found that they weren't the only people that Sega, had abused, Skates, the supposed child star of Streets Of Rage 2 +3, had recently published an autobiography, 'RollerBoy:My Boogie Nights In The Spotlight.' And although, 18 of the 20 chapters in his book, are either drunken ramblings, too profanity laced to read, or describe in rather sickening detail his exploits in a more adult industry than videogames, chapters 1 + 2 tell of Sega's mistreatment of him. One passage reads:

'Most gamesplayer thought I was a child, the kid brother of Adam from the first game, that was of course completely untrue. The truth is I was 32, I have a growth defect, and the Suits at Sega kept me on growth restricting medication as well, so I didnt age physically. I feel so exploited, not only did they most likely irepairably damage my body, but they also promised me my own spin off game, which came to be Jet Set Radio, but it was all a ruse, they used me to perform all the insane stunts, and once they got all the shots they needed, they dropped me. So not only did I sacrafice my body for the career they promised me, they lied and exploited me beyond any reasonable boundries. I was like the Gary Coleman of videogames.'

After reading this, I felt appaled at how Sega treated its stars as commodities, and looked towards other companies to see whether the way Sega acted was universally prevalent in the Videogame industry, so I looked at thir main rivals Nintendo, who it would seem are a lot more considerate of their talents, of the stars Nintendo have crerated, very few of them actually go extended periods without popping up in a game. And even those who do stop appearing in games, Nintendo have helped find work for. Two such examples are Funky Kong, and Candy Kong from Donkey Kong Country, Funky has worked as an extra in 2000's remake of the planet of the apes and has had consistent work as Robin Williams' Body double, while Candy has starred as Melissa Joan Hart's best friend in Sabrina The Teenage Witch and as a cheerleader in the hit film 'Bring It On'. Clearly, Nintendo are one company who at least give their talents consistent work.

Square although not as good as Nintendo in providing their talent with first rate jobs, does still provide them with work, Final Fantasy 7 stars Sephiroth, Tifa and Barrett all talked to us and were very happy with their new lives sans videogames. Sephiroth now does commercials capitalising on his imfamy from FF7, his most recent work coined the catchphrase 'Buy Skittles, or face the wrath of the one winged angel!', so obviously, he is alright. Barrett now works as a Mr. T lookalike, and Tifa works at a Hooters, so Square it would appear tries to match their talents up with suitable non videogame jobs.

Sadly, not all 3rd party developers look after their former talents as well, and the past few years have seen a number of former stars admitted to rehab clinics including Zool for a sugar addiction that the Developers of his game supposedly instigated, and Pacman's fall from fame was well documented in the national press, and he is currently working through his pill popping addiction at the Betty Ford Rehab Clinic.

However the saddest story of all would appear to be that of Fantastic Dizzy, star of numerous games in the early to mid nineties, however, by the end of the decade his star had faded and he was fried in a supposed accident in a restaurant kitchen. His widow and Co-star in the game Daisy, emotionally told us that she feels that it may not have been an accident. 'I truly feel he was suicidal, not being able to be in more games really made him crck up, and when your an egg that is not a good thing'.

So next time you go back to your Mega Drive or Snes and play the games of yesteryear, think about its characters, and their plight for work, for being a games character is not all glamorous, they do not build up vast sums of money to ease them through the years without work that follow the brief success their games may have, pray for they success, when the sequels stop.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.